Yoga-Does it help you shape up?

Options
I've been curious about yoga. I have never attempted it before, but me and one of my girls are thinking about taking some classes. I'm wondering if it will help with weight loss or strengthening. Any thoughts?

Replies

• epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    It should help with both. It helps relieve stress which helps reduce cortisol, which can then help you lose fat. It will also tone muscles you weren't even aware you had. :wink:

My cousin teaches yoga classes and she has turned into a super skinny lady.

http://www.prevention.com/health/fitness/yoga/yoga-for-weight-loss-5-yoga-positions/article/a018d786593b4110VgnVCM10000013281eac____
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yoga is FAB!
    I always sweat buckets when I go so I'm definitely generating heat. It strengthens your muscles which helps burn fat, releases stress and you work to your limits. I do hatha yoga which is quite slow but still gives you a good stretch and a deep workout, and Forrest yoga which is a bit more dynamic and challenging.
    I love it!
    Try and find a good teacher so you know you're not over stretching anything or twisting anything though.
  • adrienc
    Options
    You might want to try Power Yoga or Ashtanga Yoga.
    It's a fast-paced style of yoga, that provide a vigorous workout (350-500 calories per hour) and increase your strength and stamina.
    Yoga studios in US generally offers this style of yoga, with all-level classes (including beginners)

If you're just curious about yoga, and what to find out whether you're going to like it or not, I suggest you get a video such as the Gaiam ones featuring Rodney Yee.
    AM/PM yoga is a good one, and feature 2 short 20mn sessions. One for starting the day feeling energized, the other one for winding out all the stress an tension accumulated during the day.

Whatever you do, enjoy it and discover the fantastic soul and body experience that comes along the Yoga path!
  • adrienc
    Options
    bump!
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I swear by yoga :) I do it all the time. And I've noticed changes especially toning along my sides. There are no yoga classes close to me, plus I work crazy weird hours so I do it at home. I started on the wii fit and I really liked it so I bought a dvd, just a generic one and I liked that too. Then I decided to up the burn so I bought Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown dvd. It's the fast moving power yoga. and it's AWESOME.
  • adrienc
    Options
    I swear by yoga :) I do it all the time. And I've noticed changes especially toning along my sides. There are no yoga classes close to me, plus I work crazy weird hours so I do it at home. I started on the wii fit and I really liked it so I bought a dvd, just a generic one and I liked that too. Then I decided to up the burn so I bought Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown dvd. It's the fast moving power yoga. and it's AWESOME.

This is the same story for me! I wonder how many people got interested in yoga after getting on the wii balance board..?? lol
    Have you tried the Bryan Kest videos? I've got an old one (from 1993) and it's very challenging and fast-paced. One of the best videos in my collection. I don't know Jillian Michael's but I'll check it
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list of those whose interest in yoga was sparked by Wii. That was almost 2 years ago
    I do yoga now several times a week.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Jillian's Yoga Meltdown is good... But Bob Harper's Yoga for the Warrior is AMAZING!!!! Bob wins TBL trainer yoga contest hands down!!
  • JustBeckyV
    Options
    LOVE yoga and the way it makes me feel! The strength that is required for poses is incredible. Just keep pushing yourself! I so want to get Bob's new yoga dvd!
  • ThatGirl_1968
    ThatGirl_1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    This is the same story for me! I wonder how many people got interested in yoga after getting on the wii balance board..?? lol
    Have you tried the Bryan Kest videos? I've got an old one (from 1993) and it's very challenging and fast-paced. One of the best videos in my collection. I don't know Jillian Michael's but I'll check it

No I haven't tried those DVDs, actually I've never heard of him. But I will totally check into when I get back home. I like the videos that push you. That's what I need. Something slow paced bores me lol