Lets Talk about Subs

Options
Im currently doing 30DS and although i am not sticking to a 100% nutrition plan, I am eating sensibly.

For example plenty of omlettes in the morning following the workout, salads through the day with nuts and fruits and then some pasta and salads in the evening.

Seeing as it was Friday I decided to opt for a treat and so went to Subway. I went for a Turkey Breast 6 inch comprising of 9 Grain Wheat bread olives, pickles, tomatoes lettuce and red peppers. I skipped the cheese, didnt have any coleslaw and definitely avoided dressings.

IS this a good option for on a meal plan or while working out or is there another healther sub out there such as the Veggie Delight.

Yours thoughts would be appreciated.

QC

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Lets Talk about Subs

I love steak subs and roast beef subs.
  • QuestionableCarrot
    QuestionableCarrot Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    But are those really good for you?
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    No such thing as healthy/unhealthy . Please do some research on calorie consumption . Macro nutrients and TDEE . Need to get rid of some misconceptions :)
  • Chadomaniac
    Options

GOOD BAD ??? aslong as it fits your calories . That's why u are on mfp to count calories no?
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Im currently doing 30DS and although i am not sticking to a 100% nutrition plan, I am eating sensibly.

For example plenty of omlettes in the morning following the workout, salads through the day with nuts and fruits and then some pasta and salads in the evening.

Seeing as it was Friday I decided to opt for a treat and so went to Subway. I went for a Turkey Breast 6 inch comprising of 9 Grain Wheat bread olives, pickles, tomatoes lettuce and red peppers. I skipped the cheese, didnt have any coleslaw and definitely avoided dressings.

IS this a good option for on a meal plan or while working out or is there another healther sub out there such as the Veggie Delight.

Yours thoughts would be appreciated.

QC

Bad choice. Quiznos is better.
  • QuestionableCarrot
    Options
    But the subway I ordered and ate (num num num) is got to be better than the rest with cheese etc?
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    But the subway I ordered and ate (num num num) is got to be better than the rest with cheese etc?

Depends , if it fits your calories then its good . I bet it fits your calories
  • scottaworley
    Options

In all seriousness, if you have the calories and macros (carbs, fat, protein), then there are very few bad foods. Cheese is not one of them. Bread is not one of them. Meat is not one of them. You will lose weight if you eat at a deficit.
  • QuestionableCarrot
    Options
    I appreciate there are a lot of people here that find counting calories one of the big advantages in their weight loss and success but I dont want to count them -My approach is to never go hungry.

My goals are to trim up a little and feel better about myself and that is really working with the 30DS

Subways seem a great option when I cant be bothered to make food for the office
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Lets Talk about Subs

I LOVE Subs

amighettis-sub-sandwich_istock.jpg
    m5lp_0607_jeff_05_z%2B2005_ford_mustang_gt_roush%2Btrunk_subwoofers.jpg
    sub-01.jpg
    rower.jpg
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

Yes, and they taste awesome.
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    Good choice , its got lots of micro nutrients and fiber . Unlike many other fast food joints.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    I appreciate there are a lot of people here that find counting calories one of the big advantages in their weight loss and success but I dont want to count them -My approach is to never go hungry.

My goals are to trim up a little and feel better about myself and that is really working with the 30DS

As a note, I never go hungry because i make sensible decisions. Where I used to eat an entire bag of Doritos I now opt for something like wasabi peas which take longer to eat and make me feel more full. So we're in effect doing the same thing. I would recommend at least entering your calories so that you can keep an eye on what they are doing.
    Subway is a great option (Quiznos is much tastier :P), but you have to understand that the only foods you should really avoid are ones containing trans fats. In addition to avoiding those foods try to find foods which fulfill both your macro and micro nutrient needs. This website can be helpful for all of the above.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

This was posted either earlier this week or last week. Subway has the nutrition info on their site. Many of their footlong subs have more calories than a Big Mac or Quarter Pounder with Cheese. Add chips and a drink to your Subway lunch and you might as well have eaten at McDonalds.

If youre really serious about eating sandwiches for lunch. Make and pack your own, you make much more progress and save $ in the long run as well.

ETA: The wheat bread and honey oat bread are 2 of the higher calorie bread options. I found the Italian bread to be the one with the least amount of cals. Other than that your 6" turkey seems like a great choice to me. I prefer the black forest ham myself with mustard. :drinker:
  • Pazzesca1
    Options
    I think your Subway sub was a healthy choice. You can go to Subway.com and customize your sandwich and it will calculate your nutritional value. Hey, if Jared lost all that weight by eating Subway, you can too, as long as you have the calories for it. Enjoy!!
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Lets Talk about Subs

I LOVE Subs

amighettis-sub-sandwich_istock.jpg
    m5lp_0607_jeff_05_z%2B2005_ford_mustang_gt_roush%2Btrunk_subwoofers.jpg
    sub-01.jpg
    rower.jpg

Is that ****ing ketchup on that sub?
  • VixenArgentum
    VixenArgentum Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I eat subway all the time as its the only place within walking distance from my work. I also lost 6 lbs last week...so what do you think?

Any sub fits within the calorie allotment given to me by MFP. I'm also never hungry, so I don't know why you think eating at a deficit = hungry. Sure if you spend your calories on candy or whatever, you'll be hungry...but a sub with some nice protein and lots of veggies can be lo cal and make you full.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    depends on what you're going for.

if health is a primary concern, then processed meats and cheap breads are not the option you'd want to pick.
    if you're just concerned with appearance or losing weight, then it's quite easy to enjoy subs from time to time and still achieve your goals.
  • QuestionableCarrot
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Sound information.

Someone mentioned another restaurant thats healthier. Quintoz or something??? I dont live in the USA so cant comment.

I think I am going to do the sub once a week as a tasty, treat. It just saves time!

QC
  • katieburdison
    katieburdison Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    lol love this