The Ariel Castro case...1000 years??

Options

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

I also have an issue with all the cases recently overturned due to DNA evidence exonerating people on death row. I'm not talking about a criminal walking away from prison due to a legal technicality. I'm talking there was DNA available and it didn't belong to the person convicted. How many died wrongly before the DNA testing was available????

It's like they've never seen The Life of David Gale movie. :tongue:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm happy we don't televise that stuff here....
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    So basically for the rest of his miserable life we have to pay for his food and health care? This sounds horrible, but things like this make me wish we had back alley executions. Just put a bullet in the back of his head and be done with it.

I hate posts like this. The problem with people who want to 'skip the trial to save money' or 'shoot people in the head to be done with it', is that there are laws in place to prevent innocent people or wrongfully convicted from being executed!!

Now, I am not saying that this guy deserves to live a life of luxury. Prison should not be fun. They should be self sufficient, grow their own food, make their own clothes and NOT be funded by tax payers. No reason criminals can't work while in jail rather than watching tv.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I despise this sick monster but at the end of the day we are better than him. No punishment whatsoever will take away the pain and misery he inflicted upon his victims.

I do know that it would cost us taxpayers more to get this guy run through death row then it would for use to house him for 40 years.

I don't have all the answers and I agree with the sentiment behind what you are all saying.

I just don't like the idea of the government having the right to execute humans. Any power given to a government body is power that we are giving to other humans. They don't change in to something else when they become government officials. If we instituted the back alley executions mentioned above then over time leadership would change and that power would start getting abused.

Like so many other government power we already see abused today. All a person would have to do is claim that a person was guilty of some sort of crime that will stimulate an emotion response from people and they could justify killing anyone.

QFT
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    I despise this sick monster but at the end of the day we are better than him. No punishment whatsoever will take away the pain and misery he inflicted upon his victims.

I do know that it would cost us taxpayers more to get this guy run through death row then it would for use to house him for 40 years.

I don't have all the answers and I agree with the sentiment behind what you are all saying.

I just don't like the idea of the government having the right to execute humans. Any power given to a government body is power that we are giving to other humans. They don't change in to something else when they become government officials. If we instituted the back alley executions mentioned above then over time leadership would change and that power would start getting abused.

Like so many other government power we already see abused today. All a person would have to do is claim that a person was guilty of some sort of crime that will stimulate an emotion response from people and they could justify killing anyone.

Said better than I could
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

/endthread
  • ThePerplexed1
    ThePerplexed1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I cannot fathom how someone like him has the audacity to say "I'm not a violent predator… I'm not a monster, I'm a normal person."????

I was staring at my computer screen in disbelief when I read it.
  • gonzo0612
    Options
    I cannot fathom how someone like him has the audacity to say "I'm not a violent predator… I'm not a monster, I'm a normal person."????

I was staring at my computer screen in disbelief when I read it.
    just like when he said all of the sex was consensual n they lived in harmony :noway: sicko!!!!!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Im a firm believer in the death penalty. He should be killed. And not in a humane manner but that's just me :)

YES THIS!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I actually believe him when he said sometime the women asked for sex. If you're a prisoner it's in your interest to curry favor with your captor, in the hope that he would not kill you, would beat you less, or let his guard down and give you a chance to escape. Given the circumstances only an idiot would consider the sex consensual.

We might never know what happened that fateful day when she managed to go to the front door, but without a doubt the monster let his guard down and got careless that day.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I'll never support the death penalty. take this extreme case...

George Junius Stinney Jr. (October 21, 1929 – June 16, 1944) was, at age 14, the youngest person executed in the United States in the 20th century.[1]

Stinney was convicted of murdering two pre-teen girls after police said he confessed to the murders. But the question of Stinney's guilt, the validity of his alleged confession and the judicial process leading to his execution has been criticized as "suspicious at best and a miscarriage of justice at worst",[2] and as an example of the many injustices African-Americans suffered in courtrooms in the United States in the first half of the 20th Century.[3]

now i doubt well execute another 14 year old but waht about 18? our court system gets so many cases wrong that they shouldn't have the option to kill anyone.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    There is no reason that he should be kept alive that I can see.

The issue comes when it is time for someone to pull the trigger, inject the venom, surely that is murder, however justifiable.

Maybe lock him up with no food, no water, no light and let him die a horrible, forgotten death ?

The trial costs us many thousands of dollars, his future 'board and keep' runs into hundreds of thousands. At approx. $47K/ year and assuming he will live 20+ years and just keeping him alive will costs a million dollars, more if you factor in inflation.

There is no reason to keep him alive, he will never see the outside world, he has no right to do so.

Stick him in a box and bury it.

Along with the rest of the lifers......
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    and then when hes in prison theyre probably going to segregate him from the general population...wheres the justice/punishment in that?!!!~
    Yeah, justice would be to put him in the same cell with Bubba, where he would be 'loved' every day for the rest of his life.

This
  • estatitra
    estatitra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How ironic is that those three girls have to pay for his food and place with tax dollars.
  • gonzo0612
    Options
    There is no reason that he should be kept alive that I can see.

The issue comes when it is time for someone to pull the trigger, inject the venom, surely that is murder, however justifiable.

Maybe lock him up with no food, no water, no light and let him die a horrible, forgotten death ?

The trial costs us many thousands of dollars, his future 'board and keep' runs into hundreds of thousands. At approx. $47K/ year and assuming he will live 20+ years and just keeping him alive will costs a million dollars, more if you factor in inflation.

There is no reason to keep him alive, he will never see the outside world, he has no right to do so.

Stick him in a box and bury it.

Along with the rest of the lifers......
    THIS!!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Now, I am not saying that this guy deserves to live a life of luxury. Prison should not be fun. They should be self sufficient, grow their own food, make their own clothes and NOT be funded by tax payers. No reason criminals can't work while in jail rather than watching tv.

QFT! I hate the amount of amenities that we provide for criminals! They have better cable packages and gym areas than I can afford!!! Where is the justice there?!?!? It's bull!!
  • Alyssah09
    Alyssah09 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think he should be put in general population :) None of this isolation crap.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I think he should be put in general population :) None of this isolation crap.

But, But, But.......

Prison is supposed to rehab criminals so that they can pay a price and then be let out in order to take their place in society.

Not do societies dirty work :)
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I'm just tired of the whole thing, and as a Clevelander I am embarrassed for Northeast Ohio... I wish the three women the best in reconstructing a new life, and I hope Castro is forgotten in his solitary hole. The end.
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Leaving aside the miscarriage of justice themes, there is No doubt whatsoever in this case that Ariel Castro is guilty. 100% guilty as charged. He abducted, raped, abused & tortured those 3 women and also murdered 5 babies, we the public will never know how far advanced those pregnancies were, in my mind he doesnt deserve to live. As to who flips the switch on that electric chair there are many people who would volunteer with relish. Life in prison may seem like he is suffering , but I would rather he was propelled into the bowels of hell to dance on the end of the devils pitchfork for eternity sooner rather than later, he may not like prison but a far worse fait awaits him in the next life.