Full body DUMBELL workouts

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    FWIW: lifting will not help with weight loss, other than the energy you expend doing it (it helps with LBM retention). Your diet is the key to weight loss.

^This.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I am finally started to add weight lifting to my routine again as I've hit a bit of a plateau with my weight loss

You just signed up last month. It isn't a plateau.

Just because someone created a MFP account last month doesn't mean they were not previously trying to lose weight. Maybe they used another app ...

Okay, so how exactly are ANY of us supposed to know? Exactly. We don't. We know what information we're given. Based on the initial post and the user account, it was valid advice. They weren't in a plateau. Now having learned that it's only been a month, I'm still sticking to my guns on it not being a plateau.

Not only that, but I'm echoing what Sara said about weights as well. Lifting =/= loss. Appropriate deficit = loss. OP, ensure you're eating what you think you're actually eating. Get a food scale, weigh your food. Make sure you're eating enough. Check out any number of other calculators.. I'd recommend scooby's.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    You can check out this website http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/
    And ignore what :tragalicious is saying....
    Some people don't realize that our effort and dedication towards losing weight has brought us to MFP not the other way round...!!
    Yes, ignore what I'm saying. I obviously know nothing about weight loss.

It's a month stall. We know NOTHING about what the OP is doing other than wanting to incorporate lifting.

How much are they eating? How long have they been stalled? There's too much information MISSING for any specific and wonderful advice. What's their TDEE? BMR? Activity levels aside from lifting?

and for god's sake, my name is on the screen..
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Some people don't realize that our effort and dedication towards losing weight has brought us to MFP not the other way round...!!

It's a month stall. We know NOTHING about what the OP is doing other than wanting to incorporate lifting.

How much are they eating? How long have they been stalled? There's too much information MISSING for any specific and wonderful advice. What's their TDEE? BMR? Activity levels aside from lifting?

Personally, I'd listen to this guy...he's lost more weight than the majority of you posting! He obviously is on to something!
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    I just found this site yesterday with a good beginners/overall toning regimen. It just takes dumbells and an adjustable weight bench I believe.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hugo22.htm
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    PLAY NICE!!! ITS NOT ALWAYS "WHAT" YOU SAY ITS "HOW" YOU SAY IT, IF YOU FEEL YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION TO ANSWER THE QUESTION, "ASK" THE OP NICELY. MOST OF US ARE HERE FOR SUPPORT, ENCOURAGEMENT AND INFORMATION.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    PLAY NICE!!! ITS NOT ALWAYS "WHAT" YOU SAY ITS "HOW" YOU SAY IT, IF YOU FEEL YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION TO ANSWER THE QUESTION, "ASK" THE OP NICELY. MOST OF US ARE HERE FOR SUPPORT, ENCOURAGEMENT AND INFORMATION.

I don't see where he wasn't nice.

Jeez, does everyone need everything sugar coated???
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    grumpy+cat+2.jpg
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    grumpy+cat+2.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Love it!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals, but AllPro is a good one. I did a thread that shows how you can adapt to DBs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells

For AllPro: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

Seconded.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of metabolic resistance training....its sort of like HIIT with weights (or other forms of resistance training). The basic idea is that you do a series of supersets....in each superset, you work non-competing muscles. The idea is that during the first exercise of the superset, you start getting your heartrate up there by pushing your muscles to complete that exercise. Then, while your heartrate has started climbing, you immediately do a second exercise with a different set of muscles...your heartrate will continue to climb, but since those muscles are not exhausted, you can get in a full set working that muscle group as well.....so you get the benefits of HIIT with resistance training. For example, I usually start off with some form of bench press (flat, incline or decline) followed by a set of deadlifts or sumo goblet squats (either secondary move would involve non-competing muscles from the first one). I like to include a couple of bodyweight exercises and/or supersets to add reps and really get my heart-rate going up (so, something like burpees with push-up followed by some form of jumping exercise...jump squats or jump while kicking heels back to butt or tuck jumps...etc). As with any HIIT-type training, you do NOT want to overdo things...but you CAN train your entire body with this training method. You can go to my profile page and read the exercise sequence I did last night (for most of last night's exercises, you could sub out med balls for dumbbells...except for the smashes at the end).
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options

Personally, I'd listen to this guy...he's lost more weight than the majority of you posting! He obviously is on to something!

Ain't that the truth!! :laugh:
  • JonMB
    JonMB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Here's exactly what you're looking for.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/intermediate-workout-plan/

Dumbbells. 3 workouts. Good to go.

Body for Life's exercise plan is also good.
  • saeede83
    saeede83 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I also use dumbells only. I follow this program and am extremly happy with the results. Note that you may not lose much on scale for the first few months, but you'll get smaller and it's totally worth it.
    http://weighttraining.about.com/od/succeedingwithweights/a/home_dumbbell.htm
  • jeqrosen
    jeqrosen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If you go to WWW.muscle and strength.com. there is a really good dumbbell routine there. I think I found it under the at home section but you can find it by using their search feature. It is set up for 3 days a week.
  • jennusf
    jennusf Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • fiveoaks66
    fiveoaks66 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas here!