Just looking for some new meal ideas

Options
Hey everyone! I was just wondering if anyone had some low calorie meal suggestions they wanted to share. I need to change it up a little this week. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just simple ideas. Thanks!

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/inskydiamonds

Some of these are low cal, some not so much.
  • gupton11
    Options
    My wife just made this the other night:

http://www.food.com/recipe/rustic-lasagna-155105

it was very good, she used cottage cheese instead of ricotta and added spinach. Even my daughter who hates veggies loved it.
  • Joeysgirl
    Options
    Here is a recipe I make quite often ... easy to change up and I usually have all the ingrediants in my house. You may have to cook it longer depending on the kind of beans/lentils you use. Not sure if you can see this link or not... but its through my facebook. You can add me on there - Amber Mercer Baumgart.

http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=1402720890&notes_tab=app_2347471856#!/note.php?note_id=141169605926246

Here is a go to recipe I have discovered... I can make it out of stuff that I have around the house easily. We don't put chilies in, but you can. Also, we substitute kidney beans with lentils, black beans, or any kind of bean you want. If you use dried lentils you have to use the extra water stated below. Otherwise, it is just 1/2 cup of water for canned/soaked beans.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Texas-Style-Skillet

1 pound extra lean ground beef
    1 medium onion, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 bag of dried Lentils
    1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained (no salt added)
    2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
    1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
    2 1/2 cup water
    1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons dried cilantro flakes
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    Shredded cheddar cheese, salsa and minced fresh cilantro
    Tortilla chips - Garden of Eaten Low Sodium
    Directions

In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the lentils, tomatoes, chilies, rice, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; covered and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Serve in the skillet or transfer to a shallow serving dish. Sprinkle with toppings of your choice. Serve with tortilla chips. Yield: 6 servings.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    OK - I will MFP mail you two of my recipes (Zucchini Fritatta and Turkey Meatloaf) but here are some other things I do in a rush....

Turkey Burger on Oroweat (or Arnold in some states) sandwich thin. I put reduced fat cheddar, romaine lettuce leaf and a bit of ketchup on it

Half Turkey breast (available in meat section) oven roasted with a schmear of Earth Balance (butter) and salt & pepper

Wrap a low carb/low cal tortilla with chicken breast (canned or fresh) salsa, shredded lettuce (or the broccoli slaw they now sell in bags) and a sprinkle of reduced fat cheese

I bake some halibut with some low cal dressing (your choice) and a sprinkle of panko bread crumbs

I love the Wolfgang Puck soups - the Thick Hearty Lentil Vegetable is my fave!

These are just a few of the things I do! Can you tell I like my protein! Good luck!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If you are on Facebook, you can go to my business fan page called Amanda's Tasty Plates and there is a section of Low Cal/Low Fat meal recipes.
    One of my favorites, if you like Tuna, is 1-5 oz. can of chunk light white tuna in water drained. Add 1 Tbsp of Light Mayo, 2 tsp of spicy brown mustard, and 1 tbsp of sweet relish. Serve it on a low carb, low fat whole wheat tortilla with tomato and lettuce and it is delicious.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    The favorite in my house is soft taco night. I purchase the small whole wheat Dempsters tortillas, then brown up some ground turkey, chicken, or lean bison. Once it is browned I put in one tsp of garlic pwdr, chili pwdr, paprika, cumin, pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper with about 3/4 c of water and let it cook down,
    I then chop up whatever veggies we want, my personal favorite is lettuce, green pepper, cucumber, and cilantro. I like to chop up my tomato and add it to some salsa, then just grate some low fat cheese and let everyone build their own.
    I like this dinner also as it is really quick and easy to prepare and goes over really well with everyone in the family.

Our other "standby" is grilled chicken breasts (I spice them a number of different ways so we don't get bored), any steamed veggies, and some whole wheat couscous on the side. Another quick and easy dinner!
  • Ninaad
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The ideas are great!
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :happy:
  • bubbles10586
    Options
    Simple dinners my husband and I make include grilled chicken or shrimp with brown rice or whole wheat pasta.

You can make it with or without pasta sauce. Bertolli has organic pasta sauce that is phenomenal. I don't even have to add any seasoning, unless I want to make a spicier dish. Whole wheat consists of complex carbs, which are much better than simple carbs found in white pasta. I learned that in my college nutrition class.

Another great dish is using chicken or shrimp and mixing it with the frozen steamers vegetables. It creates a stir fry type dish. Just add seasoning and some low sodium soy sauce. :flowerforyou:
  • daiseytwinkle
    Options
    *1 Boca Burger is great for lunch and delicious w/100% whole wheat bread...add your favorite veggies.
    * If you like pasta(Carbs) try Ronzoni's Smart taste pasta..it is sooo good for you. 7g fiber per 20z. Fiber is very important!:flowerforyou:
  • daiseytwinkle
    Options
    * Black bean-tacos. Whole-wheat taco shells with spinach...warm the canned black-beans up in a bowl or pan with some cheese add seasoning ex..Cumin,taco seasoning,salsa, fat-free sour cream.... Very tasty and good for you.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    Bump:smile:
  • Laine
    Laine Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This is one of my very favorites.....saute peppers, onions, mushrooms and any other veggie and italian chicken or turkey sausage. I usually have a plain sweet potato with it! very filling and quick!:smile
  • Buppie
    Options
    I came up with a crock-pot recipie that turned out really good!

1 package dry brown gravy mix
    1 package dry pork gravy mix
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 onion, sliced
    1 package thinly sliced pork chops
    salt/pepper to taste

Pour gravy mixes and chicken broth into the crock-pot and mix together. Place pork chops in crock pot, top with sliced onions. Add salt and pepper now or at the end. Cook on low 8-10 hours.

Per Serving (4 oz)
    Calories: 269
    Carbs: 11
    Fat: 15
    Protein: 22