HFCS to be 'renamed.'

Options
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39169416/?GT1=43001
It still doesn't make it any better for you!!!

Replies

• stringcheeze
    Options
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39169416/?GT1=43001
    It still doesn't make it any better for you!!!

Agreed. Sticking feathers on a pig does not give it the ability to fly....
  • Mepheston
    Mepheston Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well at least I know to be on the look out for "Corn Sugar" and "HFCS"

Thanks for the article!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    seriously! Do they think we're stupid?
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up! The FDA needs to get off of their fat butts and ban this crap already.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I think it's been renamed already? Saw "corn sugar" on a package the other day and thought "well that's HFCS".
  • Mepheston
    Mepheston Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Yes they do.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of ironic that they're trying to convince people it's no worse than "regular" (cane) sugar. This may be true, but I've researched how regular sugar is made, and I'm avoiding that too! Both cane sugar and HFCS/corn sugar are highly processed sugars that have no nutritional value and don't resemble what they came from in any way. This is NOT a good selling point to me.

The sugar industry (corn, cane, whatever) probably hates people like me, who've woken up and realized that I don't NEED or WANT added sugars in my life. I get plenty of natural sugar from fruit and some veggies, and I don't feel like most food needs to be sweet to be delicious.
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Yes they do.

I think there are people out there who really are. Like how they don't always call MSG 'MSG'. Some people are just too lazy to care. Sad.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up! The FDA needs to get off of their fat butts and ban this crap already.
    Or at least the government should stop giving farmers corn subsidies to grow useless crops -- less grown, the less forced into the food.
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Or at least the government should stop giving farmers corn subsidies to grow useless crops -- less grown, the less forced into the food.

Well that's also a given. There is so many things messed up with our country its not funny. Especially because no one with power seems to think it needs to be addressed. Its just sad. I'm just glad the people are waking up...slowly but surely, we'll get our way...hopefully.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump, thanks! gonna read it later, not eat it, read it!:sick:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

The FDA is never going to ban it as long as Big Pharma and Con Agra are in their back pockets................

HFCS is going to keep America Fat and Unhealthy which = Big Pharma and lots of expensive meds that have side effects, which leads to more meds.....................see the cycle that is going...........

And Con Agra, I won' t even get started on them.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    agree!!!!
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This ranks right up there with those stupid commercials they have been running lately. "Letting parents know" that it's okay to feed your kids HFCS...
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of ironic that they're trying to convince people it's no worse than "regular" (cane) sugar. This may be true, but I've researched how regular sugar is made, and I'm avoiding that too! Both cane sugar and HFCS/corn sugar are highly processed sugars that have no nutritional value and don't resemble what they came from in any way. This is NOT a good selling point to me.

The sugar industry (corn, cane, whatever) probably hates people like me, who've woken up and realized that I don't NEED or WANT added sugars in my life. I get plenty of natural sugar from fruit and some veggies, and I don't feel like most food needs to be sweet to be delicious.

Exactly!!!!

People's taste buds don't even know what true tastes are.......................until they go all natural...........
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the only one who doesn't get what is so bad about the renaming of HFCS. Yep, cane sugar and "corn sugar" are pretty bad for you. "Fruit sugar?" Also bad for you (but it comes along on the back of so many nice vitamins & fiber!).

The reason I don't have much of a problem with the renaming is that people have in their heads that HFCS is SATAN and then they ignorantly choose something equally as bad for them just because it's sweetened with cane sugar instead. When you stop and really think about it, there isn't so much wrong with levelling the playing field between 2 substances that are pretty equally detrimental to your health.

My problem is that there's such a better use for the money being spent on this campaign. Perhaps those funds would be better spent educating people that all kinds of sugar can be detrimental to your health and that you should look out for not only HFCS, but also cane sugar and honey and excessive consumption of fruit & juice, etc. Or maybe put the money to use feeding the hungry or giving it to some other charitable cause. But you know, folks with stakes in the corn industry can do whatever they want to do with their own money just as I can do whatever with mine.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bump
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Question: "How do you spell CR@P?"

Answer: "HFCS"--no matter WHAT they want to call it!!! :wink: