Home Gym on a Budget

Options
I have a gym membership at a rock climbing gym (we have weights and cardio equipment, in addition to the climbing walls and bouldering areas, as well as a systems wall), but I need to do more at home, especially with work starting back up.

This is what I'm using at home right now...
- Recumbent bike
- Pull-up bar
- Resistance bands
- Exercise ball
- Small weights (< 5 lbs) (they're my roommate's, but I can borrow them)
- Yoga mat, block, and strap
- Something called "The Rack" that my friend just gave me. I have no idea what to do with it yet! :laugh:

So, is this enough, or what else would you recommend? I'm mostly talking about strength training. I can't do high-impact exercises due to bad knees, which also make squats and things like that difficult. Maybe I should rephrase that and say I CAN do them, but I don't because it's so painful and my sports med doctor recommended I don't if I want to keep climbing.

I can spare some room for equipment, but money is a factor. Not opposed to Craigslist items if they're not too pricey.

Any advice is appreciated; thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Buy some heavier weights. You can do loads of stuff with dumbbells, and they're not too pricey (especially if you're just wanting to use the lighter end of the range). I started a few weeks ago with the 5 and 10 lb ones I'd had sitting around for years. I bought a pair of 15 lbs, and soon found that I needed more for at least a couple of exercises. I'm hoping to bulk up a little though. For your purposes, I'd start with a pair of 10 pounders (which will run you about 20 bucks tops), and then when you want to move up, get a pair of 20 pounders. (I ended up buying a pair of dumbbell handles and some weight plates, which was more economical then constantly adding more fixed weight dumbbells. But you might be satisfied sticking to relatively lighter weights.)

But you'll definitely want to go above 5 lbs.

Check out your library for some weight lifting books if you've never done any. (And of course, there are a million vids on youtube.) One reason I started with lower weights and am increasing them slowly is that I'm kinda paranoid about injuring myself (because that always seems to happen whenever I get really into working out and my weight loss really picks up speed.)
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    suspension trainer.
  • _KrisMarie_
    Options
    suspension trainer.

Is that the thing they use in a TRX class?
  • _KrisMarie_
    Options
    Buy some heavier weights. You can do loads of stuff with dumbbells, and they're not too pricey (especially if you're just wanting to use the lighter end of the range). I started a few weeks ago with the 5 and 10 lb ones I'd had sitting around for years. I bought a pair of 15 lbs, and soon found that I needed more for at least a couple of exercises. I'm hoping to bulk up a little though. For your purposes, I'd start with a pair of 10 pounders (which will run you about 20 bucks tops), and then when you want to move up, get a pair of 20 pounders. (I ended up buying a pair of dumbbell handles and some weight plates, which was more economical then constantly adding more fixed weight dumbbells. But you might be satisfied sticking to relatively lighter weights.)

Check out your library for some weight lifting books if you've never done any. (And of course, there are a million vids on youtube.) One reason I started with lower weights and am increasing them slowly is that I'm kinda paranoid about injuring myself (because that always seems to happen whenever I get really into working out and my weight loss really picks up speed.)

Thanks!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have been doing resistance training at home without the bands, and after two days, I am so sore! I plan to buy the bands soon though.
  • Katkamm77
    Katkamm77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you have a Good Will near you, check them out. I bought dumbbells there for a couple of bucks apiece. There is exercise equipment quite often. Just make sure you try anything before you buy. I have bought several different DVDs for $1.99 each (Pilates, Yoga, Jillian Michaels, Sansone, etc. Even one endorsed by the Amer. Arthritis Soc...bad knees). There are usually some weight training DVDs but, I'm not doing that...yet. It's the luck of the draw but, I go pretty often (there are 3 stores within a 12 min. drive from my home).
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Try to buy a Bench. That and heavier free weights up to 30lb's would be awesome. Craigslist is a good spot to look for equipment like that for the cheap. Goodwill is another nice place to search.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options

^Yes dumb bells. They are so versatile
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Olympic barbell!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell...you can do a lot with those resistance bands though. :D
  • Angela_2_Oh
    Angela_2_Oh Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I have a gym membership at a rock climbing gym (we have weights and cardio equipment, in addition to the climbing walls and bouldering areas, as well as a systems wall), but I need to do more at home, especially with work starting back up.

Your climbing gym includes access to free weights? As in, barbells, and plates? Or am I misunderstanding?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You already have everything you need. Do body weight exercises.
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've been amazed at the results I've gotten with a stability ball....you know the big toy-looking kind? I didn't realize how weak my core muscles were until I started using one. I have a double stack two station universal machine, but I still use free weights and bands. I'm slowly working those into the ball exercises which has been a lot harder than I thought it would be. It's an inexpensive piece, but I'm glad I tried it. My first love is my rebounder, combined with light dumbells, the resistance while bouncing is great.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for any workout DVDs, check out your library.

I was in complete shock at how many mine had, but it's been awesome. I love being able to try any before I actually buy one, I've definitely saved money.
  • _KrisMarie_
    Options

Your climbing gym includes access to free weights? As in, barbells, and plates? Or am I misunderstanding?

Yeah, we have some free weights, and they're moving to a new location in January so I imagine it'll be an even better setup then. I do a little bit there after I climb, but I'm looking for stuff to do at home because I can't always get down there.
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells. I promise you won't regret it. Save up for them, and then an Ironmaster Super Bench.
  • _KrisMarie_
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!!
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention a bench, which several people brought up. It's indispensable, and lets you get so much out of your dumbbells. You can do a bench press, kneeling one arm row, lying fly and others. I bought mine at Academy Sports for fifty bucks. They usually retail for closer to $100, depending on whether you want one that inclines. Well worth the price, and I'm sure you can find them used.

Also, try doing the plank. It's free! And works your core so well. I've been doing them for about 3 weeks, and it's amazing how far (and how fast) I've progressed and built up core strength. I have very little upper body strength, so it's great to see results so fast.