Why is healthy food more expensive?!

Options
124»

Replies

• electrokinetic
    Options
    You can buy healthy food cheaper too, you just gotta do some more digging. Go to your local market house. You will spend half of what you spend at a grocery store for twice as much. Just yesterday I walked to my market house (exercise on top of getting healthy food cheap), and only spend $7 on 3 bags of fruits and veggies... yes you heard me right $7!! At the store look for stuff that isn't brand name. Sometimes the store brand can even be healthier.p you, don't go do that isle. I skip lots of isle in the store... makes shopping faster and I don't see crap that I don't need/want.

The small grocery stores are usually cheaper and better for fruit. The European stores are the best in my area. 70% of the items I buy are now fruits and veggies. I spend about 40/week now. It was closer to 75/week before I started eating healthy
  • GsWyf
    GsWyf Posts: 1
    Options
    I say this all the time!!!! Look at McDonald's for instance.. $6 for a salad, $1 for a McDouble. Great, now I want a McDouble. Grrrr
  • beckaanne52
    Options
    Just my own experience,but I'm no longer buying most junk food,so that is saving right there.Good bread is $$,so half goes in the freezer.My limit is 2 slices a day.No longer buying lots of cheese or meat.The only thing we drink is cold water & iced tea,no sugar drinks.
    The list goes on,but it mainly comes down to eating/ buying less food,eating healthier.Most of my money goes on fresh fruit & veggies.Wish they were lower cost,but it is what it is.

PS..MFP is free & I'm not paying for a diet service. We have to take our savings where we find them .:flowerforyou:
    [/quote

This. When you think about it that apple in the fruit isle which is one service is about the same prioce as the cheap candy bar. You just typically buy more then one apple so it seems more expensive
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You can buy healthy food cheaper too, you just gotta do some more digging. Go to your local market house. You will spend half of what you spend at a grocery store for twice as much. Just yesterday I walked to my market house (exercise on top of getting healthy food cheap), and only spend $7 on 3 bags of fruits and veggies... yes you heard me right $7!! At the store look for stuff that isn't brand name. Sometimes the store brand can even be healthier.

I use to say healthy food was more expensive and that was my excuse for eating crappy food. I say if I have to spend an extra few dollars to be healthy then fine by me. My health is more important. If those bad things temp you, don't go do that isle. I skip lots of isle in the store... makes shopping faster and I don't see crap that I don't need/want.

That's a great deal. Sadly, not everyone has places like that. I have two choices within everyday driving distance. Neither one is going to net me 3 bags of fruits and veggies for $7. I could spend that much on one baggie of grapes or 2 small boxes of black berries (they're actually on sale for $3.99 atm) Shopping by season helps, as do sales, and buying frozen, but when you live in an area without ethnic markets, bulk stores, everyday farmers markets, and co-ops...it can add up.
  • emboslice94
    Options
    I'd agree that PROCESSED "healthy" food is more expensive. But actual whole healthy food, I'd say no.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Why is healthy food more expensive

They have to discount crap to sell it ?
  • hauhaut901
    hauhaut901 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well in all fairness , that's only the case in 'murica =/