tips for women: body fat%

Options
If any women out there have any advise on the subject of decreasing body fat% I would be grateful if you would share!
I weigh about 138, 5'7", and I have a 26% body fat. I lift weights 3 times a week(circuit training), Pilates 2 days a week and 30 min of additional abs 2 days a week. I guess you could say I am pretty active but no matter what I do I don't really see a dramatic difference in my body( like definition..especially in ab area). I also eat pretty healthy..lots of green hardy veggies and lean meat like chicken and turkey. I try to stick to non processed carbs like potatoes and brown rice. I am also pretty thin to begin with but I'd like to pursue a personal goal and get down to maybe 130 and see some more definition all over.
Thank you guys:happy:

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Eating "healthy" or removing "processed carbs" has no effect on your weight loss.

I know I'm not a woman (at least I think i ain't) :D - but I can help.

It is as simple as, eat less if your fat loss has stopped.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    How did you Calculate your body fat %?
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Since you don't really have extra weight, changing your body composition is going to require quite a bit of patience.
    Make sure you're getting plenty of protein (1 gram per pound of lean body mass is a good place to start, although I eat more than that) and, because you aren't overweight, a large caloric deficit should be avoided as you're more likely to lose muscle mass, not just fat.
    You already strength train, which is good, and it sounds like you aren't overdoing the cardio, which is also good based on what you say your goal is.
    Summary - plenty of protein, adequate calories, lift stuff, and be patient.
  • egayle0721
    egayle0721 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I guess your right...patience is probably what I need its been 4 months that I have been on a consistent schedule.
    I have so many friends who do less when it comes to working out and they eat pretty badly..the weight just seems to fall right off of them (but they were a bit bigger than me). I just feel like I've hit the bottom and I'm having a hard time keeping positive especially seeing no results:(
  • egayle0721
    Options
    I try to stay in the 1700 range when it comes to calories but even then I have a hard time getting them all in..I don't really eat much to begin with and I'm pretty active. Do you still suggest cutting down how much I eat?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight, you need to lose fat. That's different. Eating at a deficit isn't going to allow you to build muscle. I cut my BF% by doing cardio (running mostly), cycling and strength training eating at about my maintenance calories.
  • egayle0721
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight, you need to lose fat. That's different. Eating at a deficit isn't going to allow you to build muscle. I cut my BF% by doing cardio (running mostly), cycling and strength training eating at about my maintenance calories.
    Exactly!! Okay when you say running do you mean 30 min of casual running or intervals??
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Exactly!! Okay when you say running do you mean 30 min of casual running or intervals??

My suggestion? (via bodybuilding.com) walk on a high incline.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You're not lifting enough weights. First, make sure your diet is about 25% protein (roughly one gram of protein for ever pound you weigh) and always eat your exercise calories back you cant build muscle without enough calories/nutrients to do it.. Second, start lifting some real WEIGHTS! Start with a warm up set that you can comfortably perform 12-15 reps, then almost double that weight and do three more sets between 5-8 reps. You should be able to lift the last few reps but it should be tough. Do about 2-4 exercises per body part, depending on what split you're doing. I recommend, for someone relatively new to lifting heavy do a push (chest, shoulders and triceps all "pushing" action), legs, and pull (back and biceps) . Take a day off then cycle through again, take a day off, etc. try this routine for 4-6 weeks. I think you will be blown away with the results. If you want to do some cardio try keeping it at 30 minutes 3-4 times a day. I would keep doing Pilates.. Great core workout.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

I mean hit the road at least 3 times a week for 5k or more.
  • lms1220
    lms1220 Posts: 60
    Options
    Bump
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    You're not lifting enough weights. First, make sure your diet is about 25% protein (roughly one gram of protein for ever pound you weigh) and always eat your exercise calories back you cant build muscle without enough calories/nutrients to do it.. Second, start lifting some real WEIGHTS! Start with a warm up set that you can comfortably perform 12-15 reps, then almost double that weight and do three more sets between 5-8 reps. You should be able to lift the last few reps but it should be tough. Do about 2-4 exercises per body part, depending on what split you're doing. I recommend, for someone relatively new to lifting heavy do a push (chest, shoulders and triceps all "pushing" action), legs, and pull (back and biceps) . Take a day off then cycle through again, take a day off, etc. try this routine for 4-6 weeks. I think you will be blown away with the results. If you want to do some cardio try keeping it at 30 minutes 3-4 times a day. I would keep doing Pilates.. Great core workout.

Best advice in this thread.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Eating "healthy" or removing "processed carbs" has no effect on your weight loss.

True that! I gained even with eating healthy and removing all the processed foods!
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options

I started weight lifting, but I am not sure which weight to start with?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    Calcium has an effect on the amount of fat which is absorbed. A recent BBC TV program highlighted the new science that using low or fat free yoghurt can help reduce the body fat retained. The suggestion was to use 3 pots/portions a day.

Since hearing this I have decided to keep my calcium levels up. I now have calcium monitored on my food page, just in case and because I am older and think it is sensible to try to avoid osteoporosis. I have been using fat free yoghurt to top up my calcium levels within my calorie allowance for about two weeks. I have programmable scales, input gender, age and height for it to calculate BMI, %fat and %water. I have noticed my bmi/%fat is falling by more than it did before I made the change.

all the best
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    My guess is you're not as active as you think. Double the effort / duration of your workouts, and you should see a change in body composition. Eating "pretty healthy" and being "pretty active," just don't cut it.