Pain the next day

Options
Hey everyone. I'm just wondering if this is normal. I just started doing cardio yesterday, not much, just a little yoga/zumba and some walking/bike riding. Just about 200-300 calories worth. I woke up this morning and it's hard sitting/standing up. Is this normal for someone who didnt used to exercise at all? Will the pain persist or will it eventually go away? It's hard staying motivated to keep exercising when it hurts so badly the next day.

Replies

• dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between pain and soreness. You sound very sore. I would take some aleve and keep going.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Soreness or stiffness is normal. I would suggest stretching a bit before you do another workout.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I woke up this morning and it's hard sitting/standing up. Is this normal for someone who didnt used to exercise at all? Will the pain persist or will it eventually go away?

You'll get used to it eventually. The more you do it the less sore you'll be the next day. Eventually you'll come to miss being sore. Sounds crazy but it's true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness#Repeated-bout_effect
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Pretty normal. It's easy to overexert yourself early because you don't feel it until later. Either lighten up the exercise a little, use different parts of your body or take a day long break and see how you feel.

Joints giving out though, feeling too loose, or feeling unbalanced like you might fall over are signs of strains (that I have experienced anyway). You can exercise away muscle soreness but tendon/ligament damage cannot be.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I woke up this morning and it's hard sitting/standing up. Is this normal for someone who didnt used to exercise at all? Will the pain persist or will it eventually go away?

You'll get used to it eventually. The more you do it the less sore you'll be the next day. Eventually you'll come to miss being sore. Sounds crazy but it's true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness#Repeated-bout_effect

Yep.

Drink lots of water, take a walk, and stretch after your workouts. It will help. But the more you do, the better you'll feel.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I agree, sore not pain. I get really really sore in the morning and something that I've found that's helpful is that I do a nighttime yoga session that stretches out my whole body. It only takes 15 minutes and it's been fantastic. I sleep better, I'm less sore, and that also means that when I workout, my soreness isn't limiting me as much. Epsom salt baths are amazing too. You could also try adding a little bit of arnica oil to your lotion. Arnica is great for sore muscles. But just a little bit.
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    It's not pain. It is weakness leaving the body.
  • fitobsessed
    Options
    If you're sore, yes that is normal. If it lasts more than 3 days, that is probably not normal. Always stretch after your workout. If you have a foam roller at your gym, use it. You can always purchase one and do it at home as well. When I first started using the foam roller I had a love/hate relationship with it lol, but it really did help with the soreness.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    I would say it is normal as well. I just got back to exercising after a two-year relapse, and i am amazed at how sore i am. It's like they are muscles i never never use ! Yesterday at 'total conditioning' at the gym, even the sole of my feet were sore!

I am taking an easy day once every two days. What i mean by that is i'll go to the gym, then the next day simply walk (taking it easy). The reason i do this is because when i am too sore, it will hurt at the gyl during class. My posture gets all wrong and i don't want to end up hurting my back or my knee. (Bear in mind i have no flexibility and no cardio, i have to build it all back).

As long as soreness doesn't prevent you from doing the exercises safely, i'd say enjoy it ! It means what you're doing is working !
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I'm just wondering if this is normal. I just started doing cardio yesterday, not much, just a little yoga/zumba and some walking/bike riding. Just about 200-300 calories worth. I woke up this morning and it's hard sitting/standing up. Is this normal for someone who didnt used to exercise at all? Will the pain persist or will it eventually go away? It's hard staying motivated to keep exercising when it hurts so badly the next day.

Yep, totally normal.

I know I have had a good workout when I wake up stiff and sore the next day. I once had a workout that left me sore for 4-5 days! A month or so ago my trainer texted me the day after a workout to see how I was feeling. When I told him that I was a little stiff and sore, he said "excellent! that's what I like to hear". As you get into better shape, you won't be as sore as often. I am the most sore the first few times I do something new.