Pool Noodle Exercises

Options
I went to the pool with my pool noodle to relax and as a joke logged my "cal burn" here. But in looking up the proper name for the foam weenie I found out that there are actual exercises that people do with them.

I had no idea so yeah, just google pool noodle and then click images and all these exercises come up. It's friday and I'm not about to investigate them just now but here's the first one that caught my eye.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQml8nZOaKlVNAQ_ioXBN1Wr-P3sTM4oTmjj4VcVfHYb35ME3FBnw

Feel free to inform me of things you think I could do with it without looking like a total spaz at the pool, but yeah, i like swimming in general as a workout so if pool noodle stuff does anything actually worthwhile I'd like it. I remember I used to use paddles with adjustable holes during Physical Therapy so that's the only reason I am even considering this as a real thing.

ETA: Well not that ^ one, clearly that's a joke, but the other ones looked like they might actually do something.

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Not sure I'd be that keen on the one in the pic, but yes we use the noodles for the last 15-20mins of aqua fit (resistance). Tie it in a knot & push it down it downwards, stick it on the base of the foot & swing leg outwards. Lie with it behind you to do crunches. Do you feel a bit of a tit? Yes, especially when it unravels or you start floating into the middle of the pool :blushing:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Not sure I'd be that keen on the one in the pic, but yes we use the noodles for the last 15-20mins of aqua fit (resistance). Tie it in a knot & push it down it downwards, stick it on the base of the foot & swing leg outwards. Lie with it behind you to do crunches. Do you feel a bit of a tit? Yes, especially when it unravels or you start floating into the middle of the pool :blushing:

What? Pics might help me understand these instructions better.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Sorry, yeah was probably world's worst explanation. Here's a close (ish) demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bur2Rd4HMXE

This is a good demo of leg exercises. Not sure why they have trainers on though :huh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdru_-coIYU
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Look up AquaFitnessPro on youtube and you will see a wide variety of pool excerises using noodles, barbells (pool ones) - I was able to make up an entire routine using the instructions on those videos.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    For me, I imagine this would be like the balance ball. I start off with the best intentions and just end up laying on top of it rolling around. I would go to the pool wanting to get a good noodle workout (insert joke here. Oh! There's another one!) and probably end up floating around with a margarita. I remember we used to jump off the diving board holding those above our heads so we only sunk down a foot or so when we hit the water. My shoulders were burning after that. So I imagine if you have enough discipline to not float around like a leaf (like I would :P) it would be a great workout. Great for people with bad knees too since water is low impact. Plus it looks like fun. Which is always an added bonus.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    For me, I imagine this would be like the balance ball. I start off with the best intentions and just end up laying on top of it rolling around. I would go to the pool wanting to get a good noodle workout (insert joke here. Oh! There's another one!) and probably end up floating around with a margarita. I remember we used to jump off the diving board holding those above our heads so we only sunk down a foot or so when we hit the water. My shoulders were burning after that. So I imagine if you have enough discipline to not float around like a leaf (like I would :P) it would be a great workout. Great for people with bad knees too since water is low impact. Plus it looks like fun. Which is always an added bonus.

we should be freinds. IRL. because skinny girl margarita's +floating like a leaf=weight loss, right?
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Feel free to inform me of things you think I could do with it without looking like a total spaz at the pool.

Nothing. There is nothing you can do at the pool with a noodle without looking like a total spaz. Oh wait, there is one thing. Throw the pool noodle on the deck and start swimming laps.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Feel free to inform me of things you think I could do with it without looking like a total spaz at the pool.

Nothing. There is nothing you can do at the pool with a noodle without looking like a total spaz. Oh wait, there is one thing. Throw the pool noodle on the deck and start swimming laps.

I'm starting to think this too. Nice profile pic by the way. Totally UNspaz
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Why, thank you. To duplicate this photo op, have a friend point a leaf blower at your face and take a photo.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Why, thank you. To duplicate this photo op, have a friend point a leaf blower at your face and take a photo.

Oh I see. It's really quite simple, I guess.