pain post workout?

Options
Hello all,
I have been experiencing pain (legs and shoulders) when I hit the bed at night after my evening workout. The pain continues till the next morning. i have been taking advil and hot showers to alleviate this. I do elliptical (45+ minutes) and some weights (5-10 mins). I have a hip injury due to which I can't do much in the gym except for elliptical or a bit of cycling.
Would really love your input on pain relieve!
Thanks!

Replies

• daftthoughts
    Options
    Are you doing warm-ups and cool-downs?
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Can you identify if it is pain from pulling something or just an 'ache' from working hard?

If it's strain then stop and see a doctor but if it's just the muscle aches after a good workout I would suggest a good pre and post workout food routine. I highly suggest milk or chocolate milk and a banana after a workout and to have an apple or banana before a workout and then the carbs and protein afterwards replenish some of what you lost when working out so you will have less pain. Another good suggestion is a cool shower or a cold bath, just stand in it and let yourself chill for a bit then pop an advil if you absolutely need it but try not to have to take it. That pain usually means what you are doing is working :)
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    1) Active stretching
    2) Fish Oil (Helps reduce inflammation and lubricates joints)
    3) L-Glutamine (Amino Acid that assists in muscle recovery)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    roper warm up, with some jumping jacks, leg swings, and dynamic stretching can really help in this, as can a proper cool down and stretching, buy a foam roller to really work out some kinks.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    i have been taking advil and hot showers to alleviate this.

Cold showers and/or ice - not hot showers. The heat promotes inflammation, whereas the cold suppressed inflammation.
  • khalikhoopri
    khalikhoopri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am...but I admit I should spend more time doing both :)
    Are you doing warm-ups and cool-downs?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    a nice bottle of whiskey helps..
    or vodka
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    It is actually just an ache, but it keeps me up at night :)

Thanks for the meal suggestions. I have been eating second part of my lunch before my workout (1.5 hours before) and instead of the usual chocolate milk I was taking post workout now I have started taking protein powder in water. May be this regime is triggering this pain/ache.

I really hope the pain shows some results :)
    Can you identify if it is pain from pulling something or just an 'ache' from working hard?

If it's strain then stop and see a doctor but if it's just the muscle aches after a good workout I would suggest a good pre and post workout food routine. I highly suggest milk or chocolate milk and a banana after a workout and to have an apple or banana before a workout and then the carbs and protein afterwards replenish some of what you lost when working out so you will have less pain. Another good suggestion is a cool shower or a cold bath, just stand in it and let yourself chill for a bit then pop an advil if you absolutely need it but try not to have to take it. That pain usually means what you are doing is working :)
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions
    I will surely incorporate more stretching in my workouts. Is the fish oil is to eat or apply?
    1) Active stretching
    2) Fish Oil (Helps reduce inflammation and lubricates joints)
    3) L-Glutamine (Amino Acid that assists in muscle recovery)
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    Sure! I will give more time to warm ups and cool downs from now on :) and would surely look into foam rollers. Thanks for the help :)
    roper warm up, with some jumping jacks, leg swings, and dynamic stretching can really help in this, as can a proper cool down and stretching, buy a foam roller to really work out some kinks.
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    Cold showers!!! Now thats a big challenge for tonight :happy:
    Thanks for the suggestion!

i have been taking advil and hot showers to alleviate this.

Cold showers and/or ice - not hot showers. The heat promotes inflammation, whereas the cold suppressed inflammation.
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    And...should start drinking!!! :drinker:
    a nice bottle of whiskey helps..
    or vodka
  • Elfa777
    Elfa777 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I suggest to avoid OTC pain medications, your body is not sore from Advil deficiency, so need to take it. It should be used in rare occasions, when you need a quick fix.
    i agree with fish oil. Make sure to get good quality, from ether European or North America sources, ideally second generation omega 3. And take high doses - 4-8 g per day. I have been taking 6 g per day (3 in Am and 3 in Pm with food) for few months now and can feel the difference, my knees do not hurt, except rare occasions when I overdo it. Start with just 2 g per day and slowly up to 4-8 g and see if it helps.
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestion
    Really appreciate the help :smile:
    I suggest to avoid OTC pain medications, your body is not sore from Advil deficiency, so need to take it. It should be used in rare occasions, when you need a quick fix.
    i agree with fish oil. Make sure to get good quality, from ether European or North America sources, ideally second generation omega 3. And take high doses - 4-8 g per day. I have been taking 6 g per day (3 in Am and 3 in Pm with food) for few months now and can feel the difference, my knees do not hurt, except rare occasions when I overdo it. Start with just 2 g per day and slowly up to 4-8 g and see if it helps.