I failed my first day of dieting big time

Options
For lunch, my dad took me out to Carl's Junior and then in the evening for dessert I had Coldstone. Tomorrow I'm going to a BBQ potluck and I know they won't be serving anything healthy. I really don't know how I can go without eating junk food, I eat it every day and now I'm not supposed to be eating it at all. I did manage to exercise twice today, which I'm not good at either. How the hell am I supposed to do this when I failed the first day?

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You start one day at a time. Even if you just log for the first few days or weeks, you are still starting. You get to see where your problem areas are, and how you might address them. Control portions, and start moving more, and go from there. Make small changes at a time.

I am a junk food junkie. Losing weight doesn't mean you have to give everything up. It means you have to learn how to eat healthier while leaving room for stuff you really love. Sometimes making too many changes at once causes problems. Make small changes, and go from there.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Go to Carls' Jr, and go to BBQs just eat LESS of it. Portion control
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you record it all in your food journal you can write it off as your nutritional "before" picture. If you attend a special event and you eat some special event food, write that down too, just try to add a few more vegetables next to the special food. You didn't get the size you are now in one day, give yourself a chance to learn the new routine.
  • stinsonkms
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I am a really harsh critic of myself. I just don't know how to eat less junk food.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    If you take how you normally eat (we'll call that spot 1A) and make gigantic changes all at once (we'll call that spot 2,000,000,000Z), you may have removed yourself too far from your comfort zone. When you hit a crunch (bad day, feel sick, schedule goes all mad hatter, hormones take the wheel - you get the point) can you maintain it?

Might be better to just keep logging (research exists that proves it effective for sustained weight loss - regardless of the diet). Look over the day every few days and make a tweak going forward. Maybe the tweak isn't giving up something but adding something. What if you ate the same burger but skipped the fries for a salad? What if you left the (God forbid - this would kill me) cheese off the burger?

Friend me if you want - I'm a good problem solver most days and good with nutrition. I can help you look for small changes. YOu don't have to go from spot 1A on the map to spot 2,000,000,000Z in a day's time. It can happen, less quickly but more effectively in small steps for many people. It's not all or nothing. Life doesn't work that way.
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Nobody is perfect at this, otherwise we wouldn't need it. The good news is that now that you have "screwed up" you can drop any perfectionist ideal of doing it "just right" and maybe start with the idea of doing better. Logging and trying to make some better choices is a good start. Those successes will build on themselves. Look at what you did right. You thought about what you could have done better, you worked out, and you came here for support!
  • stinsonkms
    Options
    Thank you.
  • stinsonkms
    Options
    That is true! :D
  • Dgadd17
    Dgadd17 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just because you order something big and yummy at Carl's doesn't mean you have to eat it all. You spend the same amount whether you eat it all or not, so save half for later or the next day. You can also order without fries (just the sandwich) and that's a step in the right direction. I've only been on MFP for about 2 weeks, and I'm having a heck of a time trying to reach my calorie goal on exercise days, but the food journal helps me a ton. If I'm accountable to at least myself, I'm more likely to think twice about what I eat.
    Just because the first day wasn't a bang up success doesn't mean it was a failure. You exercised, right? That's a start and congrats!
  • EHolstrom
    EHolstrom Posts: 2,563 Member
    Options
    In reference to the BBQ...my trick is to eat something healthy before i go. Then when i'm there i am not as hungry and not as likely to eat as much and watch my portions.
  • GrandmaDoris
    GrandmaDoris Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    They are all right. For me, the best thing is to keep logging it. It makes me think. I messed up today and went 500 calories over my
    goal. I may overeat again tomorrow because I've got a birthday party to go to. There'll be healthy food there, but ignoring the cake & ice cream will be hard. But, I know that Sunday, I will go back to behaving myself. I've lost 20 lbs so far and intend to lose about 10 more. Just hang in there.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    In reference to the BBQ...my trick is to eat something healthy before i go. Then when i'm there i am not as hungry and not as likely to eat as much and watch my portions.

Ive tried that but end up just eating twice as much lol!!

You can make healthier choices at carls jr! I know it's difficult but you can get a grilled chicken sandwich low carb style which means its wrapped in lettuce so no bun! Still a lot of sodium but it is a healthier choice nonetheless. Take it one day at a time!! Nobody's perfect!
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    Pretty much just start making changes slowly. You have to eat out less, prepare meals at home, and start making better food choices. Begin by just limiting "junk." Only go out to eat once pet week. Only have *insert favorite snack* every other day. The small choices and improvements add up and help you build momentum towards a completely different lifestyle.
  • Gismos
    Gismos Posts: 15
    Options
    I really think the first week or two on MFP should have no dietary goals. Just log and see what you eat now. Then once you have an idea of how much you are eating it is easier to make changes. It is easier to know you need to reduce every meal by 1/3 or 1/2 than it is to "run out" of calories by lunch. You might try to step back from the "diet" for a week to see what adjustments you need to make.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Rome wasn't built in a day and your new way of eating and new body to go along with it won't be built in a day either. A little at a time all adds up as far as gaining weight but a little less at a time adds up as far as losing weight. Put today behind you, it's over with.
  • bettermistakes87
    bettermistakes87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be perfect to start losing weight/getting fit/whatever your goal may be. You just need to make the junk food a smaller part of your intake than your healthy food. Someone once told me to take a piece of paper and draw a line down the middle. On the left write down everything you LOVE to eat that are just no good for you. On the right write down the things that are healthy that you kind of like enough to eat regularly. From that list just make sure the your diet is 80% the right and 20% the left and you're good to go :)

Secondly--think about your options when you're given not so healthy choices to make. When eating out, even at Carls Jr, there are choices that suck less than others-do some online snooping figure out a 'go-to' item at your favorite spots that fits within your calorie range so you're prepared the next time it comes up. At a bbq you can either eat beforehand or bring something healthy to share or opt for focusing on mainly protein and some manner of veg while avoiding mayo-laden salads and chips.

It's so hard to get started with this healthy eating business, but you're on the right track with exercise and just having the desire to eat better. You can do this!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    To the op, you're being kind of hard on yourself. So what you didn't have your ideal day. You found this place. You signed up here. You posted questions and read answers. Give yourself some credit for what you DID do your very first day. Kudos to that.

Every day need not be perfect or a failure. There will be a trial and error period as you ease into this. Embrace it.
  • rodwalton1
    Options
    I am just starting myself (again) and my personal experience has been the first 3 days are the hardest. Today I had a terrible craving for Chinese and I was only able to resist by refusing to leave my property. I would suggest if junk food is your weakness then stay away from where junk food is sold and make it your mission to eat healthy day by day. Lots of fruits and vegetables and lots of water. As others have mentioned, portion control and healthy snacks in moderation. You only fail when you give up. A single day's indulgence or weakness should only make you more determined.
  • Leesel66
    Leesel66 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Kellyskittles hit the nail on the head, remember the old sayings, Rome wasn't built in a day or you have to walk before you can run...same with this process, it's a life style change, take it one day at a time. Don't ride yourself or your first day off because you are eating out. Review your diary once you have completed a few weeks, see what works for you. You don't have to give up everything, it's about managing change, eating better but if you want a treat, have it, if you feel you have had a really bad day and think Youve blown it remember there's always tomorrow to refocus. This is my thought and how I think due to my own experience.... I believe if your head is not in the right place you won't succeed. So.... Baby steps first...you can do this.
  • stinsonkms
    Options
    Good idea