Eating all of my calories at dinner

Options
Hey guys.

So I usually (not in the past week but usually) eat about 300-400 calories from the time I wake up till dinner which is usually around 7PM with bed around 12. So I'm eating like 900 calories for dinner. I have dramatically changed the way I eat in the past few months and have heard that this is not the best way of eating.

In your opinion, how should calories be split up?

What is the harm in eating all of your calories at that time?

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think it matters whatever time you eat. I work 4 on 4 off night shift & what/when/how I eat varies constantly. So long as IIFIYM you'll be fine.
  • cabcab12345
    Options
    Actually, eating all of our calories in a small window is conducive to fat loss. It's called intermittent fasting, and it comes with a bunch of additional health benefits as well. If you can make it to the afternoon or evening with maybe a light snack or (if you can tolerate it and don't experience any negative side effects) nothing at all, providing that you drink plenty of water, you'll be activating your skinny gene and burning more fat during this time. Google it more if you like to see the benefits and the science to back it up. But only do this if you are near done growing and have no medical issues with doing so.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Hey guys.

So I usually (not in the past week but usually) eat about 300-400 calories from the time I wake up till dinner which is usually around 7PM with bed around 12. So I'm eating like 900 calories for dinner. I have dramatically changed the way I eat in the past few months and have heard that this is not the best way of eating.

In your opinion, how should calories be split up?

What is the harm in eating all of your calories at that time?

There is none, that myth was dispelled years ago by dozens of studies but it keeps resurfacing for some reason. Eating six small meals burns no more calories than eating one big one. The exception to that is if you can't get enough calories, due to extreme exercise (marathons, etc), restrictive surgery, and whatnot in areas like those. The only time than extreme expenditure or restrictive intake they found it to make any difference was if you normally ate a meal and then skipped a meal you normally eat. In that case you have a lowered feeling of energy and often are far more grumpy.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    I was not expecting such replies. I always read or heard that a balanced day should be a large breakfast, a smaller lunch and a smaller even dinner. Since food sustains your activity level throughout the day/night, your intake should match that level. I have also read that eating carbs at diner is fine, since it is energy in the making for the following day. But i wouldn't eat 900 cal at dinner and would try to spread the amount throughout the day.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think you should split them up in a way that suits your preferences and energy needs. Some people couldn't eat in that way because their blood sugar would crash during the day. Other people prefer to eat just oe big meal a day.

How I do it is I usually skip breakfast, have lunch of about 4-500 calories in the middle of the day, and then have the rest of my calories (over 1000) for dinner and after dinner snacking. (This generally means I'm eating all my calories in roughly 1 7 hour window). Occasionally I skip lunch too, and have just one big meal. A couple of days a week, I find it suits me better to have breakfast (usually about 2-300 calories). It's not set in stone.

If you find that the way you eat suits you, and you're not suffering from a lack of energy, or feeling weak, or feeling uncomfortably hungry, then you're fine.
  • cabcab12345
    Options
    I was not expecting such replies. I always read or heard that a balanced day should be a large breakfast, a smaller lunch and a smaller even dinner. Since food sustains your activity level throughout the day/night, your intake should match that level. I have also read that eating carbs at diner is fine, since it is energy in the making for the following day. But i wouldn't eat 900 cal at dinner and would try to spread the amount throughout the day.

That was the rumor which everyone took as gospel, but there is actually little or no scientific evidence to support these claims. Essentially, if eating a bigger breakfast is going to prevent you from eating ten cows later in the day, then eat a bigger breakfast. But if you aren't even hungry in the morning, you don't need to force yourself to eat. But always drink water.
  • JesterMFP
    Options
    This is conventional wisdom, but that doesn't make it correct. :ohwell: Some people do need to eat a big breakfast, and find that it supports their activity throughout the day better. I (mostly) find that all eating breakfast does is make me feel ravenous by 11.This is one case where you should find what works best for you.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Eat your calories however you want! Whatever works best for you!
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This is conventional wisdom, but that doesn't make it correct. :ohwell: Some people do need to eat a big breakfast, and find that it supports their activity throughout the day better. I (mostly) find that all eating breakfast does is make me feel ravenous by 11.This is one case where you should find what works best for you.

For some reason, eating breakfast makes me feel like I NEED to eat 10 cows a few hours later. I'm perfectly fine with my cup of coffee (with cream and sugar) until I'm ready for a snack/late lunch. I work at home so my schedule is often upside down and having a big supper is probably the equivalent of most people's big breakfast.

I had a doctor tell me that the reason I couldn't lose weight was because I didn't eat during the day. (Never mind the PCOS and what I believe was the beginning of hypothyroidism at the time). Tried it his way and gained more weight! I'd love to go back and say "hey, look, I've lost 15 lbs now that I'm on thyroid meds and I still eat mainly at night!"
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    For some reason, eating breakfast makes me feel like I NEED to eat 10 cows a few hours later. I'm perfectly fine with my cup of coffee (with cream and sugar) until I'm ready for a snack/late lunch. I work at home so my schedule is often upside down and having a big supper is probably the equivalent of most people's big breakfast.

I had a doctor tell me that the reason I couldn't lose weight was because I didn't eat during the day. (Never mind the PCOS and what I believe was the beginning of hypothyroidism at the time). Tried it his way and gained more weight! I'd love to go back and say "hey, look, I've lost 15 lbs now that I'm on thyroid meds and I still eat mainly at night!"

I feel the same way when I eat breakfast!! No matter what I have I feel soooo hungry in a couple hours and want to eat the world.
  • Blizaine
    Blizaine Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I feel the same way when I eat breakfast!! No matter what I have I feel soooo hungry in a couple hours and want to eat the world.

I was always the same way. So I started doing Intermittent Fasting 16/8. Fast for 16 hours, eat for 8. Basically skip breakfast and eat a bigger lunch and dinner. The big insulin swing from eating in the morning is what causes hunger with hours of eating. When you don't eat in the morning you won't have this and you won't be hungry. And, as others have said, there is no metabolic boost from eating breakfast like once thought.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    ON sundays I eat 90% of my Calories at dinner, I like to have a subtantial meal after eating good all week.
  • ravengal44646
    ravengal44646 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Doesn't hurt a thing, in my case. I sleep better when I eat my main meal around 7p.m. I take my blood sugar the following morning and find no increase in the readings.
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers all! Any other opinions out there?
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself full of energy and easily sticking to your calorie limits, I say keep doing what you're doing.

For me, I've found eating frequently to be good for me - when I get hangry, it ain't pretty, and I'm more likely to make poor food choices, overeat, and be exhausted.
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I eat very few calories during the day. Mostly just coffee, water and a small lunch. Then I have enough calories for basically whatever I want for dinner. I like to save some for a snack after too because the evening is when I really feel like snacking. If I split it up evenly during the day I either feel deprived at night or I go way over for the day. It has done me pretty well so far, and by the looks of the losses on your comments it seems yo work pretty well for them too. :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I couldn't eat breakfast either or I ate everything that didn't move in the house that day. I usually eat 2 meals a day lunch and dinner works much better for me. 1 or 2 meals a day I can eat a big meal, which leaves me very full and I sleep better.

Find what works for you and your lifestyle, change it if you need. :)
  • raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My trainer recommends 4-5 meals a day. She doesn't specify the amount of the meal but eating regularly. I think the downside of eating so much at dinner is that you don't have a lot of time to burn it off before bedtime. I think the reasoning behind the multiple meals is to give yourself energy throughout the day. But if you feel fine with what your doing, I wouldn't say to change it. But everyone is different.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I'm another breakfast skipper.Just not hungry early.Did try making myself eat in the morning.Always thought "what a waste of calories" cause I just didn't appreciate breakfast food.

Finally wised up.Regardless of what the experts said,I almost never eat in early am.Come noon,I'm hungry for my sandwich,maybe a side of soup ,salad or chips & fresh fruit.

That leaves calories for a nice dinner & snack. Works for me.
  • JesterMFP
    Options
    My trainer recommends 4-5 meals a day. She doesn't specify the amount of the meal but eating regularly. I think the downside of eating so much at dinner is that you don't have a lot of time to burn it off before bedtime. I think the reasoning behind the multiple meals is to give yourself energy throughout the day. But if you feel fine with what your doing, I wouldn't say to change it. But everyone is different.
    Why do you need to burn it off before bedtime? Why is that the deadline? Your body continues to burn (and store) energy throughout the day. Hopefully your trainer's reasoning has more to do with your energy levels and optimum performance.