Any Skinn-Fat people out there?

Options
Hey guys! So, I'm 5'2, 101 lbs, and I'm what you'd call "skinny fat." Is anyone else in the same boat? I've noticed that shorter people seem especially prone to this problem. I've also noticed that there's a lot of stereotype against people who weigh little but decide to diet in a way that burns fat, or simply eat healthier. Whenever they reject unhealthy food, people say things along the lines of "Oh, come on. YOU can afford to eat it." But in reality, we have just as much right as the next guy or girl to eat healthy foods and tone our bodies. I'm hoping to strength train my way to a toned body. If you are too, post your stats, your story, and/or your goals. Nobody is here to judge, and we're all working toward the same end anyhow.

Replies

• TheHorribleBlob
    TheHorribleBlob Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm skinny fat! I guess I'm just not toned enough. I need to get motivated to go back to the gym again. I need to get me some muscles.

5'3"
    current weight: 104 lbs
    goal: 95 lbs
  • mssteel90
    mssteel90 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm like 5'3"ish and 53 kg (I don't know about imperial) I get that though. I'm skinny but squishy haha. Trying to get toned, keen for friends and support from people in the same boat.
  • NYgirl1990
    NYgirl1990 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm 4'11, 101 pounds. I know how to cover up my problem area well which is my midsection and I cannot tell my family members that I'm on a diet because they think I'm too skinny. My waist and hips are 33 inches, and I'm trying to get my waist to be at least 26 inches.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I was... So I decided to put on weight and start lifting heavy weights. Problem be gone and now I'm 5'8 with a 25 inch waist. Also... Toning means so many things to people and a lot of them don't make sense at all (like toning muscles or making them long and lean doesnt make sense and isnt possible technically). I'd clarify what I are trying to mean next time.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Yes I'm 4'11, 101 pounds. I know how to cover up my problem area well which is my midsection and I cannot tell my family members that I'm on a diet because they think I'm too skinny. My waist and hips are 33 inches, and I'm trying to get my waist to be at least 26 inches.
    Dieting while slim will not firm up your waist. I suggest stop dieting and do something that will firm your body.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    5 foot 6 and 114lbs
    Used to just be fat ...........now DEFINITELY SKINNY FAT
    But working my butt off to get strong :smokin:
  • mssteel90
    Options
    I will clarify. I dont want to bulk really I would like to maintain my aroundabouts size but have definition of my muscles instead of being squishy.
  • 5'0.5" and 97lbs, definitely in this boat haha. You can't see in my profile picture but I have a pretty big belly which I'm working to lose. :laugh: Losing fat and gaining muscle are my two goals!
  • NYgirl1990
    NYgirl1990 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Dieting while slim will not firm up your waist. I suggest stop dieting and do something that will firm your body.

I am already doing Pilates. And what I mean by dieting is trying to avoid the foods that bloat me and that cause me to gain weight. I pretty much gain all of it on my stomach.
  • bloodraynegatito
    bloodraynegatito Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had two children and i'm now 5'4 110. my belly won't go away, GW is 85
  • mssteel90
    Options
    I had two children and i'm now 5'4 110. my belly won't go away, GW is 85
    I know that feel. Mine is almost gone but not quite.
  • Reptileszz
    Reptileszz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm skinny healthy and I watch what I eat because I LIKE to be skinny healthy. It drives me crazy when people say "oh you can eat whatever you want." NO I cant, not if I want to stay this way. So I feel your pain.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I will clarify. I dont want to bulk really I would like to maintain my aroundabouts size but have definition of my muscles instead of being squishy.
    ummm... did you see my pics? What do you think definition of muscle means? It's to get rid of fat. That's exactly what lifting does. Lifting doesn't bulk you unless you are on a calorie surplus...unless you think I'm bulky:
    603028_10151498493611965_953783401_n.jpg

This is what happened to my butt and gut at approximately the same weight from lifting:
    photo.jpg->photo.jpg
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1058488-squats-weights-pain-in-bum-caused-this-pics
  • mssteel90
    Options
    ummm... did you see my pics? Lifting doesn't bulk you unless you are on a calorie surplus...unless you think I'm bulky:
    603028_10151498493611965_953783401_n.jpg
    I know lifting doesn't equal bulk and I know lifting will get the results I want. I was trying to clarify.
  • bxrefeet
    Options
    Yes me,
    I'm 5'6 and 107 pounds but i'm not toned at all
  • sleepyotter
    sleepyotter Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm skinny-fat, too. I'm 4'11", somewhere around 95 lbs, and like 24% body fat. If I could get down to like 20%, I think I might be a little happier with myself.
  • mssteel90
    Options
    If any of you guys wanted to friend me that would be super awesome. We can support each other.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Everyone listen to CoderGal and start lifting :).. HEAVY!
  • cabcab12345
    Options
    Everyone listen to CoderGal and start lifting :).. HEAVY!

I'm going to borrow my brother's weights as I progress. Gotta start at measly five pounders! He's doing Body Beast right now and he's got abs, so I'll take whatever he gives me.
    Only problem is, I'm not sure if I should be eating maintenance calories or "lose .5 lbs a week" calories. Which would be the best route to burn fat and get toned quicker?
    I'm also starting paleo, although I don't know how quickly I'm going to be able to cut carbs... I was really looking forward to eating post workout waffles with my brother or PB sandwiches. :/ Any advice?