I need apartment friendly HIIT workouts

Options
I was advised that I'd be staying with my uncle and brother temporarily (not sure when exactly) and knowing how my brother gets with just. about. everything., I want to come prepared with my workouts. So far I don't think I'd have any problems continuing my strength training, but finding HIIT workouts is another story. I can't do a lot of jumping so workouts like jumping jacks and burpees are out of the question. I'm afraid of falling behind on my routine and I take my workouts seriously.

I was thinking of running up and down a flight of stairs total of 7-8 minutes (running up and down the stairs for a minute, then light marching for 15-20 secs then running the stairs again) and doing something similar around my block with a sprint/jog/walking combo but I also want more variety.

Can't wait to hear some suggestions

Replies

• sub10orbust
    sub10orbust Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    tabata hiit youtube
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Stairs are good, pushups, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, how about investing in a kettlebell? Can do a variety of exercises with it. Check out girls gone strong website. Has home work outs and using kettebells.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    does the apartment have a door? that leads to a hallway? that leads to another door that has access to a street? a street that eventually runs into a park, open field, or an open space at least 5x8 feet wide?
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    does the apartment have a door? that leads to a hallway? that leads to another door that has access to a street? a street that eventually runs into a park, open field, or an open space at least 5x8 feet wide?
    this^^

why not just go out and do your workout in a park?
  • ktoding44
    Options
    Try looking here - http://backonpointe.tumblr.com/tagged/workout-challenge - under the General category. She has a HIIT section, too, but they all have burpees or other jumps.

I know she has some 'quiet' workouts and 'jump free' workouts. They're not exactly HIIT, but maybe you could pick and choose and make your own using these, or some of the others, as a guide.
  • nealwalk
    nealwalk Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you haven't heard of Bill Phillips and his Body For Life book from the late 90's, I suggest you give that a read. More specifically, read the chapter about HIIT and cardio workouts. 20 minutes of this intensity at least 3 times a week is all you need. Bam. However, there are many theories and different thoughts on the matter of best cardio and this is just my humble opinion. I actually do HIIT at least once a day right now as I cannot lift weights with my upper body due to a torn shoulder ligament. These HIIT workouts are all I have right now and they are definitely working.

Quick rundown of Body For Life HIIT for me:
    1st Cycle:
    0 minutes - 2 minutes (Level 5): Moderately paced walk
    Minute 2 - Minute 3 (Level 6): Briskly paced walk
    Minute 3 - Minute 4 (Level 7): Slow jog
    Minute 4 - Minute 5 (Level 8): Moderate jog
    Minute 5 - Minute 6 (Level 9): Fast jog

2nd Cycle:
    Minute 6 - Minute 7 (Level 6): Briskly paced walk
    Minute 7 - Minute 8 (Level 7): Slow jog
    Minute 8 - Minute 9 (Level 8): Moderate jog
    Minute 9 - Minute 10 (Level 9): Fast jog

3rd Cycle:
    Minute 10 - Minute 11 (Level 6): Briskly paced walk
    Minute 11 - Minute 12 (Level 7): Slow jog
    Minute 12 - Minute 13 (Level 8): Moderate jog
    Minute 13 - Minute 14 (Level 9): Fast jog

4th Cycle:
    Minute14 - Minute 15 (Level 6): Briskly paced walk
    Minute 15 - Minute 16 (Level 7): Slow jog
    Minute 16 - Minute 17 (Level 8): Moderate jog
    Minute 17 - Minute 18 (Level 9): Fast jog
    Minute 18 - Minute 19 (LEVEL 10!): SPRINT
    Minute 19 - Minute 20 (Level 5): Moderately paced walk
    DONE!

If you haven't tried this workout, give it time because everyone's levels 5-10 will be different. However, once you've figured your own levels out and really push yourself, these will be EXHAUSTING but in a great way. I challenge anyone to try these workouts and say they aren't all the cardio you need lol. Have fun!!!
  • EGSanz225
    Options

Oh why thank you, I had no idea! I like my privacy when I work out. People coming and going are just going to distract me.
  • EGSanz225
    Options
    Ladies and Gentlemen thank you!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Oh why thank you, I had no idea! I like my privacy when I work out. People coming and going are just going to distract me.

My fault. I assumed you were serious about getting your workout in