My Ladies Who Lift!

Options
I feel so nervous asking this! This is my first post made to start a topic on this site. But if I never stretch out to this wonderful community, I'm probably cheating myself, so let's go!

LIFTING! The inspirational stories of this site has convinced me that it is the way to go. I can do cardio, I'm not a -fan- per say, but it is doable if I absolutely must. I also hear horror stories about how just cardio and diet can turn weight loss into a nightmare if not properly assisted with muscle gain and all. In June, I used to do a combination of 30 minutes elliptical cardio and 25 minutes of circuit on machines and its been doing -okay- for now [ Three to five days a week ]. But I won't lie and say that I haven't been interested in stepping on that other side of the gym every now and then.

But, how to properly start? What should diet reflect in terms of tone/definition? Should I aim for muscle gain and drop the cardio to see better results? Should I do a time limit of both? I'm one to plan, and I need the basics slapped in my face. =D Hulk me up, ladies!

Replies

• BrunoRoughCut
    Options
    not a lady but any help is help right ... no sexism on fitness tips lol - you said you would like to gain results but never mentioned what the results are that you are after, so it's hard and near impossible to answer which is better to help achieve your goal when no goal result is expressed.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Get Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, it's available on amazon kindle for about ten dollars, and is an excellent book. There's also a DVD that shows the correct forms for the lifts (I think it's sold separately) and there's quite a few videos on you tube of Rippetoe showing correct form for lifts

Learning the form first is vital,all good beginner programs for lifting (including Starting Strength) start with the empty bar (you can use a lighter bar or dumbbells to begin with if an empty olympic bar (which weighs 45lb) is too heavy to begin with.... then you slowly add weight as you get stronger, keeping correct form all the time. Starting Strength works like this, plus Rippetoe includes all the information about form, etc.
  • sim247
    sim247 Posts: 354
    Options
    Bump! Wanna start using weights but not sure where to start. I ordered new rules of lifting for women yesterday. Just waiting for it to arrive!
  • kaydeedoubleu1
    kaydeedoubleu1 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    get a few PT sessions if you can afford it-tell them exactly what you want to gain and they will create a weights plan for you to follow based on your current level and what muscles you want to tone up etc.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Get Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, it's available on amazon kindle for about ten dollars, and is an excellent book. There's also a DVD that shows the correct forms for the lifts (I think it's sold separately) and there's quite a few videos on you tube of Rippetoe showing correct form for lifts

Learning the form first is vital,all good beginner programs for lifting (including Starting Strength) start with the empty bar (you can use a lighter bar or dumbbells to begin with if an empty olympic bar (which weighs 45lb) is too heavy to begin with.... then you slowly add weight as you get stronger, keeping correct form all the time. Starting Strength works like this, plus Rippetoe includes all the information about form, etc.

This.

Regarding your diet, as you still have a fair bit to lose (going by your ticker) stick to eating at a moderate deficit (TDEE -20% ). As a noob you may benefit from some small muscle gains initially although this won't last. But by lifting you can maintain the muscle you currently have so your BF% will be decreasing as you shed mostly fat.

ETA cardio is not essential. If you enjoy it then add some in but aim to alternate days with lifting and be sure to account for it in you TDEE calculation to make sure your eating enough to fuel the cardio.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    get a few PT sessions if you can afford it-tell them exactly what you want to gain and they will create a weights plan for you to follow based on your current level and what muscles you want to tone up etc.

THIS^^

Back in February I bought 6 sessions just to get more confidence in what I was doing in the free weight area...6 months and $1,000 later, I am hating the fact that I will have to give it up. My trainer is very good about pushing me outside my comfort zone and getting me to do things I never thought I was capable of doing.
  • VikiDaKimi
    VikiDaKimi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, help isn't related specifically to women, aha. Men are just as welcomed to give me advice as well - I have seen a lot of inspirational stories from women who has probably started off questionable like I did, which is why I asked for them at first.

As for the results I'd like to gain, my ultimate wish is to lose the weight, tighten up and sculpt the body as time goes past. I would like to pretty much modify weight loss and muscle gain all in the same time - instead of just consistently losing weight just to get smaller. That way I'd avoid problems with extreme loose skin and muscle weakness and all. From what I've read on MFP - lifting is the best method to go by this, and I wasn't sure how to exactly start.

Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting for Women. So I can check these two books out to take on beginner methods and know what to practice around with? I cannot really afford a PT right now, sadly, so I'm looking for the most effective ways in a cost-effective method. Not looking for miracles, just a good starting method.

Thank you for all of the tips so far.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Lifting is where its at! Don't be afraid of the weights, you will not get bulky! I have competed in powerlifting in the past and that was what actually put some muscle on my skinny frame. Get some guidance to get you started, a trainer or start reading for a basic program. There are a lot of free resources and workout on the net. Do not be afraid to LIFT hard and push yourself. doing 5 pound pink dumbbells is not going to get you toned! Once you get acclimated and are seeing increased strength keep increasing the weights. Good Luck!
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    Yes, help isn't related specifically to women, aha. Men are just as welcomed to give me advice as well - I have seen a lot of inspirational stories from women who has probably started off questionable like I did, which is why I asked for them at first.

As for the results I'd like to gain, my ultimate wish is to lose the weight, tighten up and sculpt the body as time goes past. I would like to pretty much modify weight loss and muscle gain all in the same time - instead of just consistently losing weight just to get smaller. That way I'd avoid problems with extreme loose skin and muscle weakness and all. From what I've read on MFP - lifting is the best method to go by this, and I wasn't sure how to exactly start.

Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting for Women. So I can check these two books out to take on beginner methods and know what to practice around with? I cannot really afford a PT right now, sadly, so I'm looking for the most effective ways in a cost-effective method. Not looking for miracles, just a good starting method.

Thank you for all of the tips so far.

If you cannot afford a PT, check with your gym and see if they offer any free or low cost classes that might help you pick up some knowledge. My gym offers a series of free classes called "fitstart". They have one for the normal machines, one for the cable machines, and one for the weights.

Most of the time (at least at my gym) the fitness staff (trainers, etc) is happy to answer a few questions or check your form, etc as long as you do not get out of control with it. Before I even hired a trainer, he was demonstrating form or checking mine, suggesting dumbbell alternates to some of the machine exercises.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Just to clear up since you keep mentioning muscle gain... You are likely not going to get gains. While doing weight loss and lifting what you well get to do is retain the muscles you already have so the losses are more fat. Just because you get stronger doesn't mean you have more muscle. There's some great advice here already and lots of stuff available online for free. Gluck
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    See a PT at your current gym. They can assess you and your goals and match them properly with the best possible exercises to help you achieve these goals. They can show you how to use the equipment too. That's your best bet. They can also give you advice or an eating plan to guide you to achieving your goals.
  • VikiDaKimi
    VikiDaKimi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just to clear up since you keep mentioning muscle gain... You are likely not going to get gains. While doing weight loss and lifting what you well get to do is retain the muscles you already have so the losses are more fat. Just because you get stronger doesn't mean you have more muscle. There's some great advice here already and lots of stuff available online for free. Gluck

Thank you for this. I was sure that by lifting you would gain muscle regardless how you lose the weight, but now I see that I will make my own muscles stronger and just watch the fat melt off. That's a much needed tip, for I was worried if perhaps I'd end up with an odd look for the duration of my attempts until finish.

I'll see to talking to my gym instructors and perhaps buying the New Rules book for women too, and go from there. One more question, since I have seen this being mentioned: Cardio. So its not necessary to perform when lifting, but it is alright to alternate in between days of doing it? What would be a recommended schedule then? 3 days of lifting and two days of cardio a week? What are some of your methods, lifters?
  • CoderGal
    Options

Thank you for this. I was sure that by lifting you would gain muscle regardless how you lose the weight, but now I see that I will make my own muscles stronger and just watch the fat melt off. That's a much needed tip, for I was worried if perhaps I'd end up with an odd look for the duration of my attempts until finish.

I'll see to talking to my gym instructors and perhaps buying the New Rules book for women too, and go from there. One more question, since I have seen this being mentioned: Cardio. So its not necessary to perform when lifting, but it is alright to alternate in between days of doing it? What would be a recommended schedule then? 3 days of lifting and two days of cardio a week? What are some of your methods, lifters?
    Naw. This is what happened to my butt, nothing 'butt good':
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1058488-squats-weights-pain-in-bum-caused-this-pics?page=2#posts-16351518

Many lifters do no cardio, but it is great for your health. Some will do about 20 minutes of jogging after and some do light jogs on days off. Remember, you're suppose to be repairing your muscles for the next lifting day, so pushing yourself with cardio may end up counter productive but it really depends on what your goals are. My cardio is all over the place.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options

I personally do 3 cardio and 2 strength days per week. If have to drop a day, it is a cardio day. My trainer likes to keep my heart rate up during our workouts.

you may have an odd look occasionally as you build muscle and lose fat. I had one month where the backs of my thighs were super lumpy with fat, but the next month it was gone. As a woman, you won't get bulky muscles unless you try super super hard. You just don't have the testosterone levels for it.

this is several months of the backs of my thighs. Notice the middle picture on the bottom row--that was where I had all the lumpy fat for a month
    9428842940_557f8c25ea_m.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this is over several months at the same weight.

8696528886_a515f0a1fa_m.jpg
    photo grid by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • CoderGal
    Options

I personally do 3 cardio and 2 strength days per week. If have to drop a day, it is a cardio day. My trainer likes to keep my heart rate up during our workouts.

you may have an odd look occasionally as you build muscle and lose fat. I had one month where the backs of my thighs were super lumpy with fat, but the next month it was gone. As a woman, you won't get bulky muscles unless you try super super hard. You just don't have the testosterone levels for it.

this is several months of the backs of my thighs. Notice the middle picture on the bottom row--that was where I had all the lumpy fat for a month

What kind of lifting are you doing? And the fluid (not lumpy fat lol) in your legs could just as likely been attributed by cardio. When I use to do only cardio I went through the same weird whats wrong with my legs phase, but I think I was pushing myself rather hard and not giving myself any chance to repair...I figured it was a lot of cardio + terrible diet doing it. Or it could have been like you implied, an awkward phase that everyone goes through who loses weight.
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I started lifting in April using Stronglifts, It's a 3 day a week routine with alternating basic exercises.

"A" day is squats/ bench press/ rows
    "B" day is squats/ overhead press/ deadlifts.

I train with my dad at home.

It's an easy enough routine. http://stronglifts.com/

Whatever you choose, watch your form and don't give up. I still have so much fat you cannot see the muscles but I (and hubby :blushing: ) and feel them. And I feel strong.

I think you'll like lifting. :drinker:
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I started lifting in April using Stronglifts, It's a 3 day a week routine with alternating basic exercises.

Whatever you choose, watch your form and don't give up. I still have so much fat you cannot see the muscles but I (and hubby :blushing: ) and feel them. And I feel strong.

This is the program I do. But any heavy lifting (85% your max which is about 5 reps) program well do. But I hated the frig out of it...until I gave it a chance. So whatever you do, give it a fair chance.
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options

This is the program I do. But any heavy lifting (85% your max which is about 5 reps) program well do. But I hated the frig out of it...until I gave it a chance. So whatever you do, give it a fair chance.

+infinity ^^^

I started it mainly because my dad was starting back lifting and wanted a spotter and I figured OK, if I'm gonna be out there too, might as well try. It took a good month before I was really committed b/c I just didn't like it.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options

What kind of lifting are you doing? And the fluid (not lumpy fat lol) in your legs could just as likely been attributed by cardio. When I use to do only cardio I went through the same weird whats wrong with my legs phase, but I think I was pushing myself rather hard and not giving myself any chance to repair...I figured it was a lot of cardio + terrible diet doing it. Or it could have been like you implied, an awkward phase that everyone goes through who loses weight.

the older pictures on the bottom row are from around the time I was starting to work with the trainer. On my own I had been doing squats, leg press, bicep curls, lat pull down, assisted pull ups, seated rows--pretty much all the machines.

My trainer has me doing something different pretty much every time. Some workouts are more machine oriented, some are more dumbbell oriented, and occasionally it will be focused on kettlebell stuff. One time we spent 45 minutes doing all kinds of stuff on the heavy bag! At one point he pulled it down and had me flipping it, then punching it. Another day was all body weight exercises--push ups, sit ups, front lunges and side lunges ( he used a deck of cards to dictate order and number of reps). He is writing down the workouts for me, so I have a selection of workouts to do when I am not working with him.
  • zilla
    zilla Posts: 46
    Options
    I really think bodybuilding.com is a really great website because they have all the info in once place as well as lots of plans to suit your needs. One thing I would recommend is using measurements or BF scales to help track your progress rather than just focusing on the weight. Another thing would be to add some HIIT (High intensity interval training) to a weights program as it will burn a lot of calories while increasing your strength i.e help you lower body fat given you a more 'toned' look. In terms of HIIT a circuit is a good place to start. There are a lot of replies here, so hopefully you have all the info you need. Don't be scared of lifting. Just keep your diet really simple and clean and you'll start to see results soon :)