Constantly in a call centre..

Options

Replies

• redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    No one is arguing. I think that some of us are trying to help and it looks like you keep making excuses.

I think you can still do some form of modified stretching, etc. while sitting in your chair at work. As a side note, you can do a lot of strength training at home when your parents are sleeping that will not wake them up. Sit ups, push ups, etc.

You just need to be a little creative.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Just ignore them... everyone can see they aren't being helpful but they seem to think their opinion is sooooo important anyway.

yes, let's ignore the legitimate points made. people love to do that on this site.

hopefully the OP will return and explain her need to workout at work a bit more.

it's 11:10pm where she is, so she just got out of work.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    yay someone who understands! :)
    i sometimes stand but i do get funny looks & asked to sit down..

Asked by who? Unless it's someone who out-ranks you, laugh at them.
  • abbyolurin1
    abbyolurin1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I work a 10 hour shift in a call center too. Saturday - Tuesday 1:00 PM to 11:30 PM. What I did is joined Planet Fitness because it's more or less 24 hours. I go to the gym around midnight and leave around 2 AM or 2:30 AM. As long as i'm sleeping by 3AM then I have sufficient rest for work the next day. There's also a gym at work if I choose to use it. I tend to do the best workouts on my days off since I recently got three days off back to back which is rare on my job.
  • Lialena
    Lialena Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you are a phone rep, and thus stuck at your desk that whole time, you could do flexes. Pelvic floor (kegal), butt, back/shoulder, stomach, and thighs all come to mind as something you can flex subtly without the floor manager noticing.
    You could probably also get away with some slight leg lifts and work the backs of your lower legs by lifting your heels while leaving your toes on the floor (assuming you are wearing flats).

Something I try to do is just sneak more movement into my day around the house. I will do arm and leg lifts while waiting on things (kettle to boil, microwave to ding, dog to want back in from the yard....), use resistance bands while watching TV, double trips up and down the stairs, and so on.

There are some quiet activities you could try in the evening if that is when you'd prefer to work out but don't want to wake your parents. Sit ups, push ups, and weight lifting, etc.
    If you have a basement you can go to while they are on a top floor you could possibly get away with louder things like dancing or following a workout tape with the volume low.
  • danivee33
    Options
    Stand on both buses on your way to work everyday. Standing for an hour burns almost 100 calories
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    yes, let's ignore the legitimate points made. people love to do that on this site.

hopefully the OP will return and explain her need to workout at work a bit more.

*hands skullshank a piece of strawberry cheesecake* Here, eat that.
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I also work in a call center. I have a 1 yr old baby, a 12 year old, and a 9 yr old. I’m also married. I’m very busy as you can see here. I work 5:30PM until 3AM. I usually get to bed by 4:30 AM. I have to wake up at 10AM most days because my baby wakes up at that time. I’m very tired at this point with not enough sleep. 10:30AM breakfast, 11:30AM bathe baby, 12:00 play with baby and the kids, 1:00PM cook dinner, 2:00 get ready for work, 2:45PM pack lunch, 3:00PM-4:00PM errands, clean house,etc., 4:30 leave for work. Where is my time to work out???
    I HAD to figure out a way to work around my busy schedule. I work out when I can. I get one 30 min lunch and two 15min breaks. On my lunch, sometimes I go to the gym next door for 15mins of hard cardio. During work (I have a headset that is not wireless; stuck at the cubicle); I jump in place at my station, I use the medicine ball, I use resistance bands, I bring dumb bells and use them, I get on the treadmill which is in the call center connected to a desk (any one can use it), I walk up and down 13 flights of stairs. As a person stated, I wouldn’t get on these nasty floors to exercise either. I also go to the gym after work for 1 hour (24hr gym). Yes I have a car to drive, but there are so many creative ways to do things without a car. YES people stare at me while I’m on the treadmill, or jumping around or doing any type of exercise. People will also stare at you for being fat, stare at you for being skinny or stare at you for being fit. I figure they stare because they wish they had the will power to get up and do what I’m doing while at work. I don’t care how I look to people while exercising at work. I do however care how I look when I’m looking in the mirror. You have to do what you have to do. I figure, all you can do, is all you can do. And when you have done all you can do, then all you can do is enough.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I work in a call centre....and I exercise after work...when Ive done afternoon shifts in the past I would exercise in the morning.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a call center from 2pm until midnight. I did workout in the morning but I also felt the need to get moving while at work, I can understand how sitting for 8hrs can be pretty boring. What I used to do back then was bring a lunch I could easily eat at my desk between calls and then on my lunch I'd go for a run for 25ish minutes. I had enough time to run about 3miles. Now of course after that I was a bit sweaty but personally I didn't mind much. I worked the night shift and my coworkers eventually started getting active in their lunch break as well. Some went for walks and sometimes we'd even bring our yoga mats and do a little session during our lunch time.

It can easily be done. I now work in a different environment. I'm not on the phone anymore but I kept the same routine. I always go for a walk or run on my lunch break. It helps me get through the afternoon.

You'll find that most Supervisors and team leaders much rather have active employees, we tend to have a better focus and exercise helps keep a good mood throughout the day.

Maybe you could do that or something similar :)
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    There is one thing you can do without getting written up and that is figet figet figet. Take your calls standing up. Stretch. Get up, sit back down. Tap your feet. Lift your legs while sitting (ab move) if you have a spinny chair spin the damn thing. I hated sitting still for eight hours at a call center. Just move. You will burn more calories and it keeps you busy while on the phones. If anyone says anything just tell them you need to move around due to back pain or something like that. Good luck
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I work incoming call center from home. I have an extra long cord on my headset so when I am not on a call I can do squats, stand up crunches etc.

A co-worker has a mini bike pedals that are under her desk and she'll pedal when not on calls.

I hope this helps you some...
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I also work in a call center. I have a 1 yr old baby, a 12 year old, and a 9 yr old. I’m also married. I’m very busy as you can see here. I work 5:30PM until 3AM. I usually get to bed by 4:30 AM. I have to wake up at 10AM most days because my baby wakes up at that time. I’m very tired at this point with not enough sleep. 10:30AM breakfast, 11:30AM bathe baby, 12:00 play with baby and the kids, 1:00PM cook dinner, 2:00 get ready for work, 2:45PM pack lunch, 3:00PM-4:00PM errands, clean house,etc., 4:30 leave for work. Where is my time to work out???
    I HAD to figure out a way to work around my busy schedule. I work out when I can. I get one 30 min lunch and two 15min breaks. On my lunch, sometimes I go to the gym next door for 15mins of hard cardio. During work (I have a headset that is not wireless; stuck at the cubicle); I jump in place at my station, I use the medicine ball, I use resistance bands, I bring dumb bells and use them, I get on the treadmill which is in the call center connected to a desk (any one can use it), I walk up and down 13 flights of stairs. As a person stated, I wouldn’t get on these nasty floors to exercise either. I also go to the gym after work for 1 hour (24hr gym). Yes I have a car to drive, but there are so many creative ways to do things without a car. YES people stare at me while I’m on the treadmill, or jumping around or doing any type of exercise. People will also stare at you for being fat, stare at you for being skinny or stare at you for being fit. I figure they stare because they wish they had the will power to get up and do what I’m doing while at work. I don’t care how I look to people while exercising at work. I do however care how I look when I’m looking in the mirror. You have to do what you have to do. I figure, all you can do, is all you can do. And when you have done all you can do, then all you can do is enough.

Love it. You had the will, you found the way. :drinker:
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I work 6pm-6am in a call center type job. 12 hours. You don't find time to work out, you make time. I do not get a lunch break at all, we are allowed to eat at our desk.

Workouts before work. Workouts after work. Period.
  • Fieldyvond
    Options
    I used to work in a call centre many moons ago. I used to catch the train to and from work, so there was a 30 minute walk each way everyday, so that kind of counteracted the fact I was sat on my *kitten* most of the day.

Try walking to work perhaps? Or set off 30 minutes earlier, park the car away from your work, and walk the rest of the way? Those steps add up!

I agree with him. You said you take two different busses. Try getting off the last bus a few stops early and walk the rest of the way, or walk to a few bus stops away from your home, and catch the bus there. Other than that, I have no suggestions. I sit on my butt all day too, and have a lunch hour where I can't leave my desk. I wish I could go for walks at lunch too!

the bus stop i do get off at is quite far away so its a 20 minute walk to work :)
  • Fieldyvond
    Options
    Thanks for all the adivce everyone, ive taken i on board (minus the rude comments obviously).
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Just ignore them... everyone can see they aren't being helpful but they seem to think their opinion is sooooo important anyway.

Getting nasty and telling someone to work out after work is llegit?? I can't speak for the OP but I've seen plenty similar threads where people ARE working out outside of work (like myself) but would like other ways to stay active during the day. I understand there are a lot of nasty people on these forums who love to give their useless opinion but I'm going to come right back at you and tell you to get the eff over yourselves. I've learned plenty of little tips here and there from other posters here that help keep me awake and moving and less feeling like a lump at the end of the day... it's not a workout at work. I personally get a longer lunch so I can go out and take a walk on some days but I have also looked for ideas on what I can do for say, 5 minutes to get my blood pumping - it's not about burning calories.

Depending on your work environment there are a variety of things people can do during the day to keep moving since so many studies have shown the ill effects that come with a largely sedentary day job.

BUT THANKS to everyone who suggested to just sit around and do as little moving as possible for 8+ - that was super helpful and legit.
  • xjoseyx
    xjoseyx Posts: 74
    Options
    I work a 10hr shift with a 1hr lunch break. I work either 7:30am - 6:30pm or 9:30am to 8:30pm. I walk for 2 miles after my early shift 2-3 times a week and I swim before my late shifts 2-3 times a week. You just have to really want to lose the weight. I dont work out on lunch. I enjoy my time eating lunch and watching tv shows on my ipad in the sun (the room i work in has no windows) Good luck.
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I know people that work nite work,but they get up early job,walk or gym then home shower then work.do it early your body will get use to it.