Calling all yoga lovers?

Options
I just tried yoga for the first time and I loved it! Even though it was a yoga video o. YouTube...haha. I wanted to try it out without having to buy a DVD just in case I didn't like it (I'm not one for classes, I like to workout at home). anyway now I'm asking for good yoga DVD recommendations or if anyone likes to use YouTube? I use Blogilates on YouTube and love it. Also as a beginner how long/how many times a week should I be doing yoga? I'm not going to do it as my main source of exercise, just when I'm feeling stressed or too tired to do anything else.

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please get thee to classes. It is a terrible idea to try to learn from DVDs. you can hurt yourself.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    You should practice as much as you are willing. It is better to do 10 minutes everyday than 90 minutes one day a week.

There's a yoga group here that is open to all:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love my home yoga practice, but I also love going to classes. I try to go once a week. Class is where you learn correct posture, movements, and breathing. It also helps me not to get stuck in a "yoga rut" (if there is such a thing!). I learn new things, and come home wanting to try poses again that I haven't tried before the class.

Many studios offer free first classes. Go to one or a couple and find a style and teacher that you like!

I follow Tara Stiles and Rachel Brathen on YouTube and Instagram. But most of my learning comes from classes.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please get thee to classes. It is a terrible idea to try to learn from DVDs. you can hurt yourself.

This is really true. there's a very high injury rate with yoga both because of positions done wrong and also some positions that are correlated with really serious injuries. Besides, if you're not really correct about your positions, you can be using the wrong muscles and not getting the benefit you sought. Not that you can't do tapes or videos, but you should be attending at least some classes, and certainly in the beginning most of all, so that someone knowledgeable is checking on your positions.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. I do Kundalini Yoga. You can get the DVDs on Amazon or ebay.... Ana Brett and Ravi Singh Kundalini Yoga Flow Bootcamp is my favourite but I have a load of their DVDs so I can pick and choose depending on my mood.
    Kundalini is more aerobic than most other forms but it has periods of meditation and relaxation dotted throughout the workouts... I love the way I feel after one of their DVDs and the music is amazing :smile:
  • abigailkorver
    Options
    I highly suggest taking a class (that's how I learned), but if classes are not available in your area, I would suggest Shiva Rea's Vinyasa Flow dvd or any of Bryan Kest's videos. I also follow Tara Stiles on youtube. Personally, I prefer practicing 3 times a week (45-60 minute sessions), and doing cardio the other days.
  • arhantayoga
    Options
    I will suggest you to go for yoga classes.. Please dont go with dvd because it can give you negative responses. Go and get a yoga training under the supervision of experienced yoga teachers then it will help you in more effective manner.

I am giving you a link for yoga classes may be it will help you..

http://www.anandayogashram.org
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Just agreeing, 2 or 3 classes to get a really good idea of proper alignment makes all the difference. Same with pilates. Some things you HAVE to learn in person, but it's so worth it.