My endorphins are broken!

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I've been working out most days for 6 months now, and I still have yet to experience what endorphins are supposed to do. If I have menstrual cramps when I start a workout, they're not going away, and I don't feel that 'high' that so many people say they feel after a good workout...

Is it just me? People said 'give it time', I'm starting to think I'm broken LOL.

Replies

• Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Are you working up a sweat?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what kind of work outs and how long are you going for?
  • Francl27
    Options
    Typically one hour... I sweat a ton. I've done brisk walking with hills on the treadmill, les Mills pump, les Mills bodyjam, Slim in 6... no difference.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Not everyone gets that "high" from working out, just keep doing it and suck it up.
  • cerealrunner
    Options
    What kind of working out are you doing? You just might not have found what makes you enjoy/love working out. For example, after a good cardio session, I have that "high" that people talk about, but after lifting weights, I just feel sore and tired.

Are you challenging yourself enough, to where you feel like you've accomplished something in each workout? I know if I push myself harder, I have a stronger sense of accomplishment at the end, and even if the workout totally sucked, I did something to make myself better, which makes the sore muscles and time spent worth it.

Also, how often are you working out? If you don't give your body rest, it wears you down and makes your workouts suck (at least in my experience!), which could be a reason that your workouts don't make you feel good.

My advice would be to find exercise that you enjoy, and do it consistently, to the point where you look forward to doing it, and the endorphins will come. You just have to find what works for you!
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've been working out most days for 6 months now, and I still have yet to experience what endorphins are supposed to do. If I have menstrual cramps when I start a workout, they're not going away, and I don't feel that 'high' that so many people say they feel after a good workout...

Is it just me? People said 'give it time', I'm starting to think I'm broken LOL.

No it is not just you. I have never once in my life felt this supposed high from endorphins. My guess is that some people might be blessed with feeling such a thing just as some of us are blessed with great sensitivity in regards to other things.

And personally, I always wanted to give the hairy eyeball to anyone who insisted that exercising while I had cramps would help reduce the pain. Works for some, but not for all. Exercising BEFORE that TOM does reduce my cramps when they hit, but the last thing I'm going to do when I'm doubled over in pain is go work out. Every woman's level of menstrual pain is different and I've always thought that the idea of recommending exercise to reduce pain from cramps is bollocks. It may work for a few women but not for all.

I'm not saying the endorphin high experience doesn't exist, but I believe it's folly to expect that it will happen to everyone, and honestly, I would place the idea of "endorphins from exercise reducing pain from cramps" pretty much in the same category as "birth control from astral projection". It may happen, but I'm skeptical as hell.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Sometimes exercise makes me feel slightly euphoric, sometimes it doesn't.

If it never happens for you just try to take pleasure in improvement and doing something good for yourself.
  • hteepeg
    hteepeg Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The only time I have gotten it was when I started running. Of course, I blew out my knee soon after so maybe it wasn't really an endorphin high? Don't worry. It may not happen for you. I focused on my music helping me feel "high" rather than the endorphins.

Good luck!
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    What kind of working out are you doing? You just might not have found what makes you enjoy/love working out. For example, after a good cardio session, I have that "high" that people talk about, but after lifting weights, I just feel sore and tired.

I'm the same as the above. Just keep trying out different workouts and pushing yourself hard. You probably won't get that "high" feeling after each one but eventually you will find a workout you love that will get you that feeling.

( Lol that sounded just like relationship advice. There are plenty of fish in the sea!)
  • Francl27
    Options
    People keep telling me I haven't found the workout I love but for me working out is something I do out of obligation really, I can't really imagine I'll ever LOVE doing one... and I've tried quite a few. I like walking, but mostly because it gives me a break with my thoughts (and from my children), but I wouldn't say I love it.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I never get that endorphin "high" either & although I don't really like exercise in general, I do really enjoy Zumba and aqua aerobics. They are both a lot of fun & it seems like if I were going to get an endorphin high from doing a fun exercise than I would have had it by now. I think some people are just lucky that way.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I heard once that target heart rate and runner's high go together. Not that it means anything for anyone else, but my own experiences have backed this up including a couple when I was out of shape and reaching said target heart rate with something closer to a fast walk than jog.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I usually have to get out of my head to feel the endorphins. Meaning if I am not working hard enough to still be going over in my head my to do list or what I'm going to wear to an upcoming event then mentally I'm not all in. When I am all in and can think about nothing but getting through the next 30sec of a circuit etc then I feel the endorphins kick in.
  • LunaAmour
    LunaAmour Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do you incorporate music into your workouts at all? Music is a must for me. It's almost like an escapist or even meditative experience (regardless of how "upbeat" the music is, I get lost in it and in the feeling). My routine is 33 minutes on an elliptical, but it certainly doesn't even have to be anything that intense. Some like dancing/bellydancing in front of their bathroom mirrors. Some simply walk with their iPods/etc. And I find my enjoyment of the workout decreases greatly without that. So I was curious.
  • jardin12
    jardin12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Try the soundtrack to the movie Hairspray! Works for me every time xxx
  • SpacialNinja
    Options
    I had a similar problem, I hated every exercise, never felt good afterwards and was always dreading the workout. Granted this is new (only a week ago) that I started swimming and man is that great! The first ten minutes are kind of boring but after that it becomes this meditative activity that's really hard to stop. I was only going to swim 30mins a day, 3 days a week but I'm switching it up to everyday because I feel antsy if I miss a day which has never happened to me before.

I think because you end up really focused on what you're doing and how you're breathing that it really becomes hard to stop. I've been forcing myself to stop after 30mins because I'm afraid I'll overdo it and be super sad. Usually I can't wait until the end of a work out.
  • PixieQueen25
    PixieQueen25 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Typically one hour... I sweat a ton. I've done brisk walking with hills on the treadmill, les Mills pump, les Mills bodyjam, Slim in 6... no difference.

CRAMPS SUCK especially during a workout. A small tip that you may already know... Take something to help bloating and cramping about 30 minutes before your workout if your cramping bad... also heating pad alternative for a few minutes, this will help cramps and it should help you be able to do workout a LOT easier... I know this seems like a dumb question, but how are you stretching? With INSANITY for example we stretch really good before, and really good after a workout. Where as I used to only stretch before a workout. Sometimes I didn't stretch at all. I never felt endorphines until I started INSANITY (super intense workout) and I never felt them until my Second "stretch" after the workout.

Also... Endorphines doesn't always feel like a "high".

Sometimes its a nice warm tingly sensation all over your body and you just do not feel pain for a few minutes. Some people get more endorphines then others.

Anyways hopes this helps.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

I don't know that I have ever gotten an endorphin "high"...but I have noticed that I get irritable and twitchy if I go more than 2-3 days without cardio. Back in December I pulled a calf muscle and was not allowed to do cardio for a week. I still went to the gym and did upper body so I could burn SOME calories.

The closest I have come to a "high" is probably the day my trainer had me doing 45 minutes of heavy bag work. There was something about the flipping, punching and kicking that left me feeling energized and alive. I was sore for 3 days afterwards, but until DOMS kicked in, I felt great :D
  • violetlattice
    Options
    My exercises of choice are hiking as often as possible (usually on the weekends so I can make it a day-long affair) or cycling everyday (30-90 mins depending on weather, company, schedule, etc) Something I've noticed is that exercising with other people really helps me get that endorphin 'high'. Maybe it's because of a strange, exhausted sense of community? Hiking with my family is really awesome because it's quite low intensity so we can still chat and take photos. You could try joining a running group, or an exercise class at the gym? Try out as many new things as possible and figure out what works for you - personally, I'd take a slightly low-calorie burning session I loved over a miserable but intense one anyday.