There's measuring and there's "measuring!

Options
I had posted a topic about being really frustrated last week. I got great advice and information about weighing my food and measuring everything I eat.

So, I thought I started really paying close attention to measuring after that. I got a food scale yesterday, feeling like it would really be close to what I'd been doing with measuring cups and spoons. Guess what.......WRONG!!!

When I measured my oatmeal this morning, I weighed what was in my leveled off 1/2 cup. it was 9 grams over the 40 grams. So, again, when I weighed the two TBPS of flaxseed that I put on my oatmeal, it appears that the 13 grams is really closer to 1 1/2 TBPS.

Why are our measuring cups and spoons so far off from the weight? Is it because of the density of the measured vs weighed food.

Needless to say, it was quite an eye opener. So, here's to a new day, with a new plan! Thanks!

Replies

• madlynn2
    madlynn2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow, I never realized that. I just tried it with my oatmeal and 1/2 cup was 46 grams not the 40 on the box. This is why I wish most items in the food list were by weight as well as cups. I too prefer to weigh. Especially with nuts, etc where it is difficult to get a TBSP
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had posted a topic about being really frustrated last week. I got great advice and information about weighing my food and measuring everything I eat.

So, I thought I started really paying close attention to measuring after that. I got a food scale yesterday, feeling like it would really be close to what I'd been doing with measuring cups and spoons. Guess what.......WRONG!!!

When I measured my oatmeal this morning, I weighed what was in my leveled off 1/2 cup. it was 9 grams over the 40 grams. So, again, when I weighed the two TBPS of flaxseed that I put on my oatmeal, it appears that the 13 grams is really closer to 1 1/2 TBPS.

Why are our measuring cups and spoons so far off from the weight? Is it because of the density of the measured vs weighed food.

Needless to say, it was quite an eye opener. So, here's to a new day, with a new plan! Thanks!

For my oatmeal brand, 1/2 cup of oatmeal is 48 grams...but I agree that weighing foods has really changed my approach and depending on the food, like PB, you are doing a disservice by not weighing it, lol. I think it probably has to do with density and if one is packing the cups or spoons, but the scale takes all that away. Love it
  • Marina809
    Options
    On the other hand, sometimes you get more. Using a measuring cup 110 calories of shredded cheese is 1/4 cup. When I used a food scale that 110 calories became 1/3 cup. I'd been cheating myself of cheese the whole time.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Buying a scale is the first thing I recommend to my clients, it is the most important part of weight loss and the only way to be truely consistent.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options

It's definitely a volume versus weight issue--they roughly correspond, but not always. This has always screwed me up with things like strawberries and blueberries actually. There are very few blueberries that fit into a 1/4 cup measuring cup, but I get a decent amount of blueberries when I weigh out 2 ounces. Of course I could be doing it wrong by treating 2 oz in weight as a 1/4 cup, but for blueberries I figure there's probably (hopefully) some wiggle room.

Edit: Oops, ir looks like I was quite off! Here's an interesting chart that converts a lot of basic food items from 1 cup measure into weight: http://www.veg-world.com/articles/cups.htm
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This is why I love metric system. Caloric charts showing amounts per 100g or 100ml are so much better than "portion sizes".
  • JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Good post, today I'll have to break out the food scale and see how my meals factor in!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    just wondering... did you zero the scale for the measuring cups first, and then go and fill them and weigh them?
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I did. I'm OK with cutting back, but not that much!!! It was just an eye opener for me.
  • BrunoRoughCut
    Options
    When I'm in the kitchen there are various size cups available, so when they say half a cup full ,I'm always like half of which cup, my tea cup, coffee cup, soup cup lol .the "cook's cup" is not the same as a "coffee cup". A weight scale is much more ideal.
  • Junie2013
    Options
    I purchased a digital food scale that measures ounces and grams, and has a tare function. Best tool I have ever used! I know that if I told anyone outside of MFP that I weigh and measure food, they would think I was nuts. But I love knowing that I'm not messing up all of my efforts by guesstimating my way out of a deficit. If you don't have a scale, and you'd like to have more confidence that your portions are not getting away from you, you won't regret buying one. Make sure it has a button to zero it out. I had an old analog scale with a little tray that all the food needed to fit into. Total pain to use.
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree! I know I've got a lot to learn. But, this was a great lesson!
  • Junie2013
    Options
    Oops, I should have specified, if anyone out there doesn't have a scale