Question....??

Options
So I have decided to commit 100% to lifting weights. If I give 1 area a rest for a day but it is still sore the next time...should I still rest it? I am really looking to put on muscle. Maybe I am just super sore because I never lift weights? Hopefully the recovery time decreases over the next few weeks.

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    What sort of program are you doing? I would say it really depends on how sore. You'll definitely adapt, but you don't want to injure yourself. I am doing Stronglifts 5x5 and it's a workout A and B, you can do it 2 or 3 days a week, so it's pretty much always at least a 2 day rest between lifting days for me!
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    No particular program, just alternating machines.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Maybe check out bodybuilding.com for a routine. It'll tell you which machines to use on which day. I personally feel like if you are using machines to focus on specific muscle groups each day so that you can avoid those muscles the next day. With Stronglifts it is all free weights and compound lifts so you've got to have the rest days in between because you are pretty much using all of your muscle groups each day.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I would get a proper program to follow, that way adequate rest, loading and periodisation will be taken care of.

Unless you fully understand all of these concepts yourself, you'll be much better off following a plan created by someone who does, until you do.
  • SandyT7468
    Options
    In a lot of cases you will find that you are more sore the 2nd day after lifting. As long as you are not having injury soreness, and I think you'll know the difference, it is better to not let the muscles sit too long. I try to get in a full body strength training workout 3 days a week. If I skip more that 2 days of my strength training I wake up that 3rd morning feeling very old and very stiff. Good luck!:happy:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Find a proven program, and save yourself months or years of wasting your time working inefficiently. If at all possible, ditch the machines and work out with free weights, namely the barbell. Starting Strength is a good place to start.

When you first start out, the soreness is something fierce for the first week or two (longer if you've managed to injure yourself in the process). Once you're in the swing of things, the soreness will be mild or nil; with the occasional acute soreness after a particularly brutal workout.

Common beginner mistakes to avoid
    - not following a tried a true program / not having specific goals aka fuckarounditis
    - not warming up sufficiently or at all
    - failing to do mobility work / stretching
  • MB_Positif
    Options

Find a proven program, and save yourself months or years of wasting your time working inefficiently. If at all possible, ditch the machines and work out with free weights, namely the barbell. Starting Strength is a good place to start.

When you first start out, the soreness is something fierce for the first week or two (longer if you've managed to injure yourself in the process). Once you're in the swing of things, the soreness will be mild or nil; with the occasional acute soreness after a particularly brutal workout.

Common beginner mistakes to avoid
    - not following a tried a true program / not having specific goals aka fuckarounditis
    - not warming up sufficiently or at all
    - failing to do mobility work / stretching

Listen to Taso. He's brilliant!
  • Ninguneado73
    Options
    Try to avoid injury and listen to your body. If you are too sore, rest. If you feel you can handle the soreness then go for it. Be patient and progress will come :)
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    To avoid injury you have to give a muscle group at least one day of recovery between lifting sessions. So for example, if you do shoulder lifting exercises on Mon. you should wait until Wed. to target shoulders again. If you are doing full body workouts, compound lifts or power moves, you would wait a day as well. Another thing to consider is how well you are going to be able to stick to and enjoy a lifting regime that only gives you one day off. I love to lift, but I also love to do a lot of other things, so I do a full body workout three times a week.
  • ijohn001
    ijohn001 Posts: 166
    Options
    If you're just starting, you definitely need a program, and maybe a trainer, or at least an experienced buddy to help out.