Dancing - Exercise or not

Options
Now I got into a debate with a friend the other day. Dancing is it really exercise?

Now I argue it is and that I should count it. Now I am not talking about the type people do cleaning house or getting ready, I am talking about dancing around the house with my daughter. She loves to be danced with. So 10, 20, 30 minutes I dance around (carrying all 22 lbs of her, she is 15 months,) as she squeals in enjoyment.

Their argument that it is still not REAL exercise.

I have been counting on top of what I do in the gym. Extra Cardio at home, and yes I do work up a sweat.

Thoughts????

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    absolutely.
  • hollygparr
    hollygparr Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Of course it is!
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Any activity where you are conscious of your muscles and lungs working can count as exercise in my opinion. I count it but I don't always eat back the calories.
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Any time you are up and moving about you are getting some form of exercise, regardless of how small or insignificant it is. It really would depend on how often and for what duration, that said - sure, I would say it would count as a form of exercise.
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I call BS on anyone who would say that's not exercise. OBVIOUSLY they have never played with children!
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    i don't see it much different than doing a class and counting that. I attend a 1 hour werq class a week and sweat my *kitten* off.. its basically zumba but a hip hop version. I get just as sweaty if I dance around with my kids for a long period of time as I do in class.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    it's burning calories....call it what you want
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If you move, and you sweat, it's exercise.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Yes, dancing is definitely exercise and it's added bonus when you spend time with your daughter! ! I just watch a video...thought you might enjoy :smile: http://wewalkwithjesus.org/daddy-and-daughters-dancing-it-up-at-ball-game/
  • jesseg1989
    jesseg1989 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yeah dancing is exercising. The way I see it is as long as you're active and sweating then you are exercising.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Dancing is DEFINITELY exercise and it's one of the best exercises you can do. You can burn a ton of calories dancing. My mother used to say the reason I was so thin was that I did the twist every night. I dance every chance I get. I personally don't think there's a better, more fun way to burn calories than dancing. So the winner's cup goes to you. And where you dance makes no difference. If it's brisk and if you do it steady, it's burning calories.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Yup, it counts! I turn on my Wii and dance on that and I definitely count that!
  • dalildevil
    dalildevil Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    of course it counts. You're moving, you're burning calories. it's exercise.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    Yes. If it's working up a sweat and getting your heart beat up, then yes it's exercise.

Just a side note: Don't be deceived by dancer's smooth movements that appear effortless, it takes remarkable strength and effort to make a movement appear flawless.
  • 63hanson
    63hanson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Definitely exercise and it's wonderful you do that with your daughter. She will grow up loving music and dancing and knowing that her dad loved spending time with her!