Yukon Gold Potatoes--Please Help

angieskia
angieskia Posts: 152 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I bought these on the spur of the moment but have no idea What to do with them. Any Simple Suggestions with how to cook these, and make them taste good? Also should I cook them all once or one at a time? Seriously I'm useless when it comes to cooking. :(

Replies

• Mashed potatoes. Skin them, boil them, mash them, enjoy.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Yukon gold potatoes are some of the best tasting potatoes out there! They are delicious mashed with a little skim milk and margarine, with a dash of nutmeg. If you don't want to mash them, just steam or boil them and a tsp of margarine or butter with some pepper or garlic makes a very tasty and satisfying meal. They are also really good baked - about 2-3 minutes in the microwave (or in the oven or over a campfire is really nice when there's enough time) - you can put chili beans and salsa on them for a good supper. Enjoy your spuds!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Cut about 3-4 potatoes (depending on how many people you are feeding) Cube them into about 1-1 1/2" cubes, put them into a zip lock bag with some cooking spray and some garlic , salt and pepper and bake for about 25-30min at about 400, turning about half way and watching for them to be brown and soft.. makes an awesome alternative to french fries, we eat these a couple times a week
  • Dice the potatoes, spray pam in a skillet and cook the potatoes on med heat until done. Great low fat fried potatoes.
    Also, leave the skin on. Salt and pepper to taste or add some chopped onions or peppers.:smile:
  • angieskia
    Awesome. Thank you. I have a whole bag full so every suggestion helps!!
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Here's one of my favourites:

Wash them and cut them up into bite sized pieces. Put them in a bowl. Add some diced onions (about 1 yellow onion for every 4 large potatos). Add 1-2 tbsp of italian dressing (or olive oil, or balsamic dressing - whatever oil based dressing you like.) Add garlic powder, and any other herbs you like - eg sage, oregano, rosemary etc.
    Mix well so all the potatoes are slightly coated. Then pour onto a baking sheet. Cook at about 3:50 for 45 minutes. Just check periodically that they aren't burning. - even flip them now and then. Once you can pierce them easily with a fork they are done and ready.

You can also add sweet potato, carrots, and turnip to the mix as a way to add for a fuller meal.

I hope you like it. :)
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Im really lazy so i just preheat the oven to 400. Slice them kind of thin, like scallop. Mix with a little oil, salt and pepper. Throw in whatever veggies i have. Onions and carrots. Wrap it in tin foil and bake for an hour. I portion it all before i bake it tho. SO each tin foil pack is a portion and i eat through out the week. But if you have a family to feed too you can just throw it all in one pack i suppose.
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Great suggestions. They're my favorite potatoes. Just a quick note, they don't take as long to cook as Russets or other potatoes.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, potato bar (chili, cheese, etc on potato), bangers & champ (sausages & potatoes), stew...

potatoes are pretty versatile!
  • angieskia
    ooohh thanx I like basalmic vinegar so i def wanna try that
  • angieskia
    uhh DrBork the only 2 of those I recognized were baked & mashed. I'll have to look those others up. Thsnx so much for the ideas. Thank you Also Tierra so you're saying I can wrap just one in foil and cook It for 45min right??
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    potato bar and bangers & champ are SO easy! Potato bar, you just bake the potato, throw it on a plate, and top with your favorite fixins. Bangers & champ, cook a sausage & serve with mashed potatoes or baked potato.
This discussion has been closed.