Meal question.

Options
So if one could only eat ONE mean per day, which would be the best meal, breakfast, lunch, or dinner?

Trying to lose a good amount of weight.

Replies

• echeverria1973
    echeverria1973 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When DO YOU feel the most hungriest? That's what I thought about when did Juicing for 10 days. I had juice or a smoothie in the, morning, juice for mid-morning snack, HUGE salad for lunch, juice midafternoon, juice or amoothie for dinner and juice as late night snack. I know that I'm not a breakfast person but by lunch I was really hungry. I also know that dinner woul be way to long to wait. So I settled for a big lunch. Try doing different meals on different days and see which one you feel good with. Good luck reaching your goal :)
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    So are only consuming calories once per day or are going to drinking your calories during the rest of the day? Only consuming calories once per day whether it be eating, drinking or both is asinine.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    So are only consuming calories once per day or are going to drinking your calories during the rest of the day? Only consuming calories once per day whether it be eating, drinking or both is asinine.

Why?
  • grantdumas7
    Options

Why?
    I just don't think it's the best idea to try to consume all your calories and try to get all your macro and micro nutrients in one sitting. I am not saying it's impossible but I think consuming calories over a few meals per day is a better approach. Just imagine how your digestive system would feel if you ate 1200-1800 calories in one sitting.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Why?
    I just don't think it's the best idea to try to consume all your calories and try to get all your macro and micro nutrients in one sitting. I am not saying it's impossible but I think consuming calories over a few meals per day is a better approach. Just imagine how your digestive system would feel if you ate 1200-1800 calories in one sitting.

I don't have to imagine how it would feel, for me every dinner is at least 1200 calories, and sometimes breakfast is, too.

The frequency of your meals does not matter. Until fairly recently, humans didn't have the luxury of eating multiple meals every day, and many couldn't even count on getting a single meal every day. Somehow we persevered as a species despite this. Many animals also eat that way--my dog is a self-paced eater, and there are many days when she only eats once a day. She is perfectly healthy.

What do you think happens to all of those micro and macronutrients when you consume them in one sitting instead of in multiple meals? What exactly is the basis for your worry?
  • grantdumas7
    Options

I don't have to imagine how it would feel, for me every dinner is at least 1200 calories, and sometimes breakfast is, too.

The frequency of your meals does not matter. Until fairly recently, humans didn't have the luxury of eating multiple meals every day, and many couldn't even count on getting a single meal every day. Somehow we persevered as a species despite this. Many animals also eat that way--my dog is a self-paced eater, and there are many days when she only eats once a day. She is perfectly healthy.

What do you think happens to all of those micro and macronutrients when you consume them in one sitting instead of in multiple meals? What exactly is the basis for your worry?
    There seems to be a major shift in meal frequency. In the past it use to be eating 5-7 small meals per day but lately it's been people eating once per day especially with IF. I agree frequency doesn't matter as much as total calories but if you do have the luxury to eat or at least have a meal replacement drink more than once per day, why not take advantage of it? What is the basis of my worry? No basis just anecdotal evidence. I too can eat 1200 cals in one sitting but I feel like utter crap afterwards.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    If you are planning to eat only 1 meal a day to reduce your calorie intake and lose weight faster, I think this is a bad idea without a bit more science. There are people doing Intermittent Fasting on MFP which is essentially what you are proposing. I don't agree with it, but would suggest you look at their posts.
  • bumblebums
    Options

There seems to be a major shift in meal frequency. In the past it use to be eating 5-7 small meals per day but lately it's been people eating once per day especially with IF. I agree frequency doesn't matter as much as total calories but if you do have the luxury to eat or at least have a meal replacement drink more than once per day, why not take advantage of it? What is the basis of my worry? No basis just anecdotal evidence. I too can eat 1200 cals in one sitting but I feel like utter crap afterwards.

What is the timeline here? Are we talking about the past 20-30 years, when this advice to eat frequent meals became very common, or are we talking the past 50,000 years?

And I am sorry, but I am not inclined to take your anecdotal evidence very seriously, nor does it matter to OP's issue how a 1200 calories in one sitting makes you feel.
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    The idea of IF is not to consume only 1 meal per day but eat in a specific time window.
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    Options
    If you're trying to lose a good amount of weight, going down to one meal a day is not the way to do it. The body will got into "starvation" mode after a while and not burn calories. Instead, it will leave you lethargic for exercise. One fun idea to consider for meals: Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a Prince, and dinner like a starving college student. Stay away from starches. Increase your intake of fruits and vegetables, and trade fish or chicken for red meat. Be diligent in entering your foods onto this site, and stay below the allowable calories. When you're hungry, drink an 8 oz glass of water before eating, then wait a few minutes. You should see results in a relatively short amount of time.
  • grantdumas7
    Options

What is the timeline here? Are we talking about the past 20-30 years, when this advice to eat frequent meals became very common, or are we talking the past 50,000 years?

And I am sorry, but I am not inclined to take your anecdotal evidence very seriously, nor does it matter to OP's issue how a 1200 calories in one sitting makes you feel.
    I have no idea about the history of meal frequencies I have not done nor am I going to do the research on meal frequency history. Okay, my personal evidence is not ideal and maybe the op would feel great eating 1200 calories or however many he wants to consume at one sitting but I don't think it's ideal long term.
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    If you're trying to lose a good amount of weight, going down to one meal a day is not the way to do it. The body will got into "starvation" mode after a while and not burn calories. Instead, it will leave you lethargic for exercise. One fun idea to consider for meals: Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a Prince, and dinner like a starving college student. Stay away from starches. Increase your intake of fruits and vegetables, and trade fish or chicken for red meat. Be diligent in entering your foods onto this site, and stay below the allowable calories. When you're hungry, drink an 8 oz glass of water before eating, then wait a few minutes. You should see results in a relatively short amount of time.
    I have read/heard one way to avoid the starvation mode and keep fat loss/weigh loss going is to eat 500-1000 calories above your normal daily intake once per week.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    I have read/heard one way to avoid the starvation mode and keep fat loss/weigh loss going is to eat 500-1000 calories above your normal daily intake once per week.

And I'm sure you have equally good evidence for this assertion, too.
  • grantdumas7
    Options

And I'm sure you have equally good evidence for this assertion, too.
    I know this is leaning towards bodybuilding
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q8GtspmVzk
    He doesn't specially say eat 500-1000 cals more but he does say to increase carbs and no mention of dropping fats and protein.
    And here is another article that touches on the topic. http://www.jcdfitness.com/2010/06/the-preemptive-refeed/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark60.htm
    I,myself have been doing this approach for the past 4 weeks. I will normally eat 1900-2300 cals per day but 1-2 per week I jump up to 3000 cals. It has worked for me.