Anyone else not going to be using the scale?

Options
Previously, I have lost weight (about 50 lbs) and have kept most of it off the last 7 years but I still have another 50 or so to go.
I decided to get back to trying to lose weight, but this time I want to not depend on the scale. Don't even have one at the house. I got sooooo obsessed with it last time, everything hinged on what the scale said regardless of other indicators.

So far, I'm not doing bad. Will use other gauges to go by - measurements, clothes size, meeting my mini goals , etc.

Anyone else not using the scale as their main weightloss indicator?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Why would you use other metrics but not a scale?
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. I too got obsessed with the scale. I stepped back from it for some time and then went back when I had a healthier mindset. I like to use the scale though. I have trouble measuring and even by how clothes fit since many are stretchy.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have to know the "truth", at least once a month. I use measuring tape, too but the scale is a must from time to time to see my progress. Once I reach my goal weight I don't think I'll use it that much.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I haven't used a scale for a few years and I gained weight. So for me, not an option to not use scale again. But then again, am not obsessed just feels good to track my weight.
  • elizabethadkins737
    Options
    The scale can be an enemy. It's best to either judge by your looks/clothes fit, or limit your scale time to once a week. That way, you're not obsessing that you gained 1 pound in a day when really it's probably water weight...

Scale can be a useful measurement, but better to see physical results :)
  • Bunny1177
    Bunny1177 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I haven't used a scale for a few years and I gained weight. So for me, not an option to not use scale again. But then again, am not obsessed just feels good to track my weight.

I totally agree. I prefer using a scale and I can track my weight easily that way. I have weighed myself every day, which is probably not the right thing to do, and seeing progress gives me hope and if I stall or gain weight, I get a wake-up call and have to think what to do.
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    In order to reach your goal, I think it would be appropriate to weigh-in on same day once a week. Weigh in without clothes to get accurate number. Then once you reach your ultimate goal...then maybe you can go without scale completely. I think it would be too hard to just do clothes and such. Especially with 50 to go. Keep up the good work and this is just a suggestion! ;) If you are still obsessed with weighing in, then have somebody hide your scale...or leave it at a friends or neighbors house that you are really close to. Use their bathroom to use scale once a week. I am sure they wouldn't mind! ;)
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It took me a whole year to lose 25. I still have 20 to go Couldnt' imagine not using the scale to keep track. I get bell bloat from certain foods, so I can't always go by how my clothes fit.
  • angelac1296
    angelac1296 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I went 3 years without using a scale, and was suddenly 50 lbs heavier....which is all the weight I had worked months to lose a few years ago. I thought I had just gained a couple pounds and then practically overnight NONE of my clothes fit right! All the sudden even my pj's were too snug! I know what happened, it was the darned cheese and crackers every night for a few months! Not healthy portions of it of course....more like take half a dozen slices off the block, cut them into thirds, and add 18 club crackers to go with them.

So I don't think I 'can' go without a scale, not totally. But I will only use it at publix, I won't be buying a new one for the house. (I tossed mine when I was using the wii fit regularly, which of course I stopped doing) I won't use it when it's close to my period. I figure once a month or so will be enough that I never have this sudden OMG moment again. Hopefully.

I don't find a scale totally reliable, so I am also using measurements and the way I feel to gauge my progress by. I do totally get what you're doing, and understand! I hope it works for you!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Scales were not my friend back in the day when "diet" was the 1st thought every morn.

If the number was good,meaning showing a loss,WOW,.....now I can eat!
    If not good,what's the use,.....might as well eat!

I'm ashamed to tell you how many times I went thru that. It happened with every diet.It 's like my brain was asleep.It took way too many tears,too many years before I decided not to use scales.
    Now it's a matter of weighing in at the gym every other wk. Just a matter of going with what works for you.

• denimandroses
    Options
    I won't be using the scale nearly as much as I have in the past because, as you said, I become obsessed with it. My plan is to weigh as I start noticing non-scale changes - how clothing fits, strength gains, etc. Mainly, though, it's the non-scale victories I'll be working toward. :drinker:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I started out like you. For the first months since January I did not have a scale in the house and only weighed while out and about. It kept me from going insane from the scale weight.

Last month I thought I might be able to handle having a scale in the house and after a few days at first weighing like crazy I now seem to have a handle on it. It took me all that time though to get in the mindset of being able to keep one in the house. Now when I see it, it's not so tempting. I know my losses are real. During those first few days I didn't log all the weights just kept track on a thread here titled "scale recommendations" of how many times I was weighing to make sure I didn't go nuts.

I'm down to weighing once a day in the morning first thing. Mostly because all other weigh ins after that are sure to be heavier and not an accurate gauge of my weight. I'm not sure yet whether I will log all losses anytime I get on and it goes down, or just a week apart which was about my habit when I did not bring a scale in here. In any case I am now free to jump on and off that thing at will and it does not control me or send me into a spiral of self doubt or derailing from my eating or workout plan. I now know enough about TOM, muscles holding onto water, water weight from sodium, daily fluctuations, time of day fluctuations, BMI, and Body Fat after several months on this site to feel like I own my scale, it does not own me. And so I can have one.

P.S. My scale claims to measure weight, bmi, water, and body fat. Most people say they aren't terribly accurate but just for showing improvement it's good enough for now until I feel different enough to warrant caliper measurement or underwater measurement.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale so I only get on my sisters or the one at work every couple weeks (when I remember) I prefer measurements and how my clothing feels to indicate if I am on the right track.

Besides it isn't always about weight. My goal is to reduce body fat % and loose inches. With that comes the weight but it's not the most important to me.

And think of this...a person with 21% body fat and lots of lean muscle will weight more then someone with 28% bodyfat without the lean muscle mass....
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Previously, I have lost weight (about 50 lbs) and have kept most of it off the last 7 years but I still have another 50 or so to go.
    I decided to get back to trying to lose weight, but this time I want to not depend on the scale. Don't even have one at the house. I got sooooo obsessed with it last time, everything hinged on what the scale said regardless of other indicators.

So far, I'm not doing bad. Will use other gauges to go by - measurements, clothes size, meeting my mini goals , etc.

Anyone else not using the scale as their main weightloss indicator?

I do not use a scale either. Occasionally when I get curious and am at my sister's house I will weigh myself, but that is about it. I would rather focus on how I feel, my energy levels and fitness levels and how my clothes are fitting me. Works wonderfully for me.