NSV:but I don't want to run today!

Options
I am training for my first marathon, which is coming up in october. I am not a great runner by any stretch, but I'm loving the challenge. The only problem is that some days I'm super motivated, but others I just don't have it in me. Today was one of those tough days.

I had a big internal struggle this morning. I planned to do 12 miles. But it was raining, and I overslept. I just going back and forth with, maybe you should reschedule vs maybe you should learn to run in the rain. After about an hour and a half of this, I made the executive decision to just get a quick few miles in so the day is not a total loss.

Once out though, the universe seemed to keep rewarding me for being out. I find out Park Avenue is closed to motorists. Which is a big deal because then we get 4 open lanes through the heart of the city without fearing for our lives. Then Central Park is pretty much empty, a sight that is rarely seen. And to top it off, the rain stopped only 30 minutes into my run. By then I was as wet as I was going to get, the heat had broken, so I just kept going.

The final result: 13.05 miles in 2 hours and 15 minutes, one of my best runs of all time. So the next you find yourself dragging, just remember that first step out of the door is always the hardest. You just need to cross that threshold, and who knows what you'll accomplish?!

self-five_zpse56ce4d7.gif

Everyone have a great and healthy weekend!!!

Replies

• sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Suh-weet! Amazing how mental it all is, huh? Then you get out the door and one foot falls in front of the other and you're like, 'oh,yeah -i got this! '
    Nice run :flowerforyou:
  • LinOtt
    LinOtt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks needed thst today!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I can absolutely relate to this run! I love when the tough ones end up being amongst the best!
  • SusanKKO
    SusanKKO Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That's so true. Just getting started is the hardest part, as I sit on the couch contemplating exercising. Thanks for posting....the rewards of hard work and dedication, oh how sweet!
  • new_bella
    new_bella Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • clbowman91
    Options
    I find that the days I don't want to run or workout I actually end up pushing myself harder (I think just because I didn't want to workout. lol.) I find that if I don't want to, it could be because my workout is getting boring or something, so I spice it up by setting a goal of beating a previous time, intensity, etc. It's an awesome feeling. And even if you don't beat any times or anything, just knowing you went to workout on a day you were dreading it is one of the greatest feelings of accomplishment. Great job, girl!
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump due to it's accurateness! :happy:
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump due to it's accurateness! :happy:
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm glad that there are so many on here to agree. It's hard to start a fitness or weight loss journey, but I'm finding it tougher to keep the intensity up as "the journey" turns into just life. Yeah, you can work out like crazy, diet and focus to get the weight off, but keeping the excitement up and making sure it stays a part of your life is hard!!
  • clbowman91
    Options
    I think that's part of the reason why it was so easy for me to stop going to the gym when I started college and working full-time. I'd lost 25 lbs. and it was just life for me then and I didn't have as much support then as I do now (: You can do it, though (: And hopefully, I can too this time. lol
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. You are sooooo right, some days it has been so hard to get out of the door but once out and into the rhythm it can be so great. At the moment my runs are in rural France running in the early morning to avoid the heat. And although I know it's bad form, when I run I am looking down at the road, I have to remind myself to look up at the beautiful countryside I am running through, vineyards, cornfields and small woods.
  • sabrafox
    sabrafox Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That is terrific! Way to go you.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Awesome run! Good for you! My best running buddy and I always say that running is 90% mental and 10% physical. Glad to see so many agree with that principle. The hardest part is getting out the door, like you said, but once out there, it's awesome to have that kind of run!
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice! I try to not ask myself what mood I'm in and just go too. It's character building :)
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!