How Do You Log Unplanned Meals?

Options
Let me clarify...

So on the weekends, my family is always out and about. Occasionally we catch an unplanned meal at church or, like today, there was a swim party at our apartment complex where they served BBQ brisket and such. It can become difficult to log these unplanned meals as I don't know how the food was prepared and I can't measure the food and so forth. Another example, I attended a conference and a luncheon this week. I didn't know what was being served ahead of time so I just eyeballed my portions and selected the healthiest option I could. Then I tried to figure out how to log this on MFP.

I was just curious...how do you log unplanned meals?

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've tried to learn portion sizes using my hand and generally eyeball it. There's not much you can do but try and make the healthiest choice and go for it!
  • Bridgetthegre
    Bridgetthegre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I try to plan ahead. If I know I'm going to a restaurant or something I'll check the menu online and plan what I'm going to order and eat. If it's a potluck or something, I leave a lot of room in my calorie count, measure as best as I can, and take the best guess possible on my food diary.
  • shadowharuka
    shadowharuka Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just make the best guess I can, I mean that's all you can do, and sometimes you will be over and sometimes under so I think in that way it does balance out. Calories in certain types of foods can really vary depending on some of the ingredients or the brand so I just give it my best estimate.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Take a notepad with you and write the information down :)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I just do the best I can, normally I err on the side of caution when entering portions and overdo it.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    meals as I don't know how the food was prepared and I can't measure the food and so forth.
    Maybe this can help?
    You can learn to estimate serving sizes with everyday objects! After all, who wants to weigh foods all the time? But what if you're underestimating? Unexplained weight gain could result. So how do you keep those "guesstimated" portions in check? Just think of these every day household items:

A standard serving of...

cereal (1 c.) = a baseball
    salad dressing (2 Tbsp.) = a shot glass
    nuts (1 oz.) = a cupped palm
    cheese (1 oz.) = a ping-pong ball
    hamburger (3 oz.) = a mayo jar lid
    peanut butter (1 tsp.) = one die
    beef (3 oz.) = a bar of soap
    rice (½ c.) = an ice cream scoop
    potato = a computer mouse
    dinner roll = a yo-yo
    butter (1 tsp.) = a Scrabble tile
    fruit (1 c.) = a tennis ball
    cooked pasta (½ c.) = a golf ball
    fish (3 oz.) = a checkbook
    poultry (3 oz.) = a deck of playing cards
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    At first, I'd just guess and estimate best I could.

After a while, I decided to take one day off on the weekend to not think about calories and not log anything. Still eat reasonably, but not to where I was counting out an exact portion of potato chips or wondering if I had 4 ounces of chicken or 5, or trying to keep mental track of how many pieces of sushi and what varieties I had at a buffet. After I hit my goal weight, I switched to taking both weekend days off. And any holidays.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    Let me clarify...

So on the weekends, my family is always out and about. Occasionally we catch an unplanned meal at church or, like today, there was a swim party at our apartment complex where they served BBQ brisket and such. It can become difficult to log these unplanned meals as I don't know how the food was prepared and I can't measure the food and so forth. Another example, I attended a conference and a luncheon this week. I didn't know what was being served ahead of time so I just eyeballed my portions and selected the healthiest option I could. Then I tried to figure out how to log this on MFP.

I was just curious...how do you log unplanned meals?

I eat 3 meals and a snack, any unplanned meal goes in my snack category and because as you said its impossible to know Exactly what the cal count is, I usually just go w the closest thing in the MFP catalog. I enter the name of the food and usually can find something identical. I also do the eye-ball portion sizes but I've gotten very good at it. I always round UP too. Just to be safe. Good luck and good logging! :)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I either don't log at all and just consider it a free day, or I look for similar items in the database and chose one that seems to be reasonable. I've gotten pretty good at eyeballing portion sizes which helps a lot for when you have to guess.

Basically, you just have to log it as best as you can and remember that your body knows exactly how many calories you ate even if you don't lol, so after it's all eaten, how you log it won't change anything!
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Guesstimate, and err on the higher side. It's all you can do. If you are able to work out what is in the food, then break it down if there arent too many ingredients
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    estimate and add quick calories. best you can do
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Generally estimate it and look through the MFP database entries for something that looks to be in the calorie range I would expect. When in doubt, estimate the calories to be on the higher end.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, just use an educated guess. Enter the food you ate in the database, see what pops up, and go with the one that matches the ingredients that you can see the most. It's better than not logging anything. Or, do like I've done on occasions--don't eat it. If I've had my meal already and someone brings food in, I won't usually eat it. Once In a while, I'll eat some fruit or something if I have enough calories left over. I refuse to slip into my old habits by eating something just because it's there.

Edit: I read your profile. I'm 5' tall and started at 255--maybe even 262. So I can feel your pain. But you can do it! Just don't give up again, make some new habits, and stick with them no matter what!
  • ellis222
    ellis222 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was in that situation today. As soon as I got home I logged everything in using MFP. Not much else you can do. :smile:
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    A tool for eye-balling I've heard about is a checkbook or deck of cards is approximately a 4 oz serving of meat or fish. There are some other's I forget, maybe someone else offered already, otherwise google can help!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing my food for a year or more now, so I'd like to think I can have a good guess what how much I've consumed.

I'm doing this for tomorrow as we're going out to eat. My lunch is looking at about 1500 calories or more including alcohol...

I'm on track this week calories IN, and I've burnt more than usual for calories OUT.

For me though, this is just one day. I don't eat out much. For you it sounds different. All you can do is guess and try to be as honest. Maybe try and over-estimate just in case?
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Hey, it's reality... we don't always know the details of how food we eat is prepared unless we prepared it ourselves. In cases like this, I try to find the closest thing I can in the database (or elsewhere online) and then add x hundred quick add calories based on how far off I think it is (just based on experience and judgment).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    meals as I don't know how the food was prepared and I can't measure the food and so forth.
    Maybe this can help?
    You can learn to estimate serving sizes with everyday objects! After all, who wants to weigh foods all the time? But what if you're underestimating? Unexplained weight gain could result. So how do you keep those "guesstimated" portions in check? Just think of these every day household items:

A standard serving of...

cereal (1 c.) = a baseball
    salad dressing (2 Tbsp.) = a shot glass
    nuts (1 oz.) = a cupped palm
    cheese (1 oz.) = a ping-pong ball
    hamburger (3 oz.) = a mayo jar lid
    peanut butter (1 tsp.) = one die
    beef (3 oz.) = a bar of soap
    rice (½ c.) = an ice cream scoop
    potato = a computer mouse
    dinner roll = a yo-yo
    butter (1 tsp.) = a Scrabble tile
    fruit (1 c.) = a tennis ball
    cooked pasta (½ c.) = a golf ball
    fish (3 oz.) = a checkbook
    poultry (3 oz.) = a deck of playing cards

Not knocking the idea, but can I use my husband's cupped hand and mouse? They're significant larger than mine. :laugh:

If I know what went into it, I'll list off the ingredients individually. Otherwise, just quick add cals and err on the high side.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    In a case like this when you REALLY don't know exactly what's in it, I practice moderation even more. But no matter how much you eat, like others have said eyeballing the amounts is good. The most you can do once you get back on MFP is to find the closest entry. Try not to over think it and get back on track with proper measurements the next day :)
  • beckywilliams1967
    beckywilliams1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've not tried this myself but you could always take a photo on you phone of your plate to help guesstimate later on when you log it in your food diary. Hope this helps :-)