when should i workout?

Options
i've been jogging on my treadmill almost every nite, but i've notice that a lot of people work out in the morning. is this just personal preference or is that the best time to do your workout?

Replies

• sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i've been jogging on my treadmill almost every nite, but i've notice that a lot of people work out in the morning. is this just personal preference or is that the best time to do your workout?
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Different people say different things. I think that as long as you're working out, you're doing it at the right time.
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have always heard (but dont know if it's true..)... that if you work out in the morning you boost your metabolism for the day?

Like I said, I am not sure how true that is.

I work out every night... only because that's when I have time!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    If I work out close to the evening, my restless leg syndrome really "kicks" if you know what I mean. Soooo aggravating.
  • klikittyklak
    klikittyklak Posts: 144
    Options
    I have always heard (but dont know if it's true..)... that if you work out in the morning you boost your metabolism for the day?

I have heard that too, except I have also read that if you don't eat a little something before (like even half a bagel) you can burn muscle instead of fat--so be careful!!
  • axlinec
    axlinec Posts: 3
    Options
    Working out is total preference. All that matters is that you are working out. You want to be sure when you are working out you are changing what you are doing because if you do the same cardio over and over again you body will get used to it and you won't burn as many calories. That is what is the most important! Good luck!!
  • cavanar2
    cavanar2 Posts: 46
    Options
    People who work out in the morning will tell you that increasing your heart rate at the beginning of the day sets the tone for the rest of your day. They say you get more done & and are more likely to stay on track. I do it whenever I can squeeze it in. I think it's personal preference:smile:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    There was a study done and it determined that most people get the best exercise in sometime between lunch and dinner. The reasoning was you are awake, alert, prepared and fueled. But in all reality, do it when you can and are ready. Sometimes I am ready first thing in the am others not until 4 or 5 in the afternoon. I personally can not do later than that because I get reved up and then I can't sleep.

My point, it doesn't really matter when as long as you are!
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    There was a study done and it determined that most people get the best exercise in sometime between lunch and dinner. The reasoning was you are awake, alert, prepared and fueled. But in all reality, do it when you can and are ready. Sometimes I am ready first thing in the am others not until 4 or 5 in the afternoon. I personally can not do later than that because I get reved up and then I can't sleep.

My point, it doesn't really matter when as long as you are!

Interesting! I read another study that said people who exercise in the AM are more likely to stick with it and maintain weight loss (I guess "getting it over with" first thing in the day kind of thing?) than those who exercised at night.

I used to exercise LATE at night (former night owl), but after having 3 kids, I'm OUT by 9:30 PM :laugh: So morning works for me. Again - the important point (like others said before) is to just do it (at whatever time works for you)!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Ditto - best time is whatever works for your schedule - as long as you do something everyday!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I work out in the gym in my building during my lunch hour. I tried the early morning thing, but I :heart: sleep too much to deprive myself of it. I have an almost 3 y/o, so my time after work (past 5p) is devoted to her until 8p or 9p. After 9p, I watch a little tv, get my 'stuff' (work out bag, lunch, etc) ready for work, handle a couple chores, and then I'm off to bed. My lunch hour works best-- and actually I moved my 'lunch hour' to 2:30p-3:30p for my workouts. LOVELY way to break up my day!