When to reset goal?

Options
The system keeps asking me if I want to reset my goal...and my thought was that I shouldn't do that until I reach the first goal that I set.

Basic Facts:
I've lost 17 pounds, and have 15 more to go before I reach my first goal. Then I was planning to reset for another 20 pounds, and inch my way down that way, especially since it seems that I've done this before and I know where I tend to get hung up and it is usually every 15 pounds, as I fail to adjust my plan, and/or get board/frustrated with the new lifestyle.

If I get to my ultimate goal weight, which I'm not all that hopeful of, I have 65 more pounds to go, and that still has me at 80% of the recommended scale.

Is there someone on here who can tell me what is best in this scenario?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You need to do it, it's when it adjusts the calories you should be eating. You don't have to change your goal weight, but you need to update your goal every 5 lbs or so so it updates your diary goal... it doesn't do it automatically.
  • onlinemf
    Options
    Thanks. I was wondering why this program didn't adjust the calories down like the one I was using at the gym. It seemed with that one, if I lost two pounds it was reducing my calories. I've only been using this one or two. So, basically, if I'm understanding you correctly, when I loose five pounds, I need to decrease / increase my goal by the same amount lost.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If you just go to the goals setting, it already has your most recently posted weight, so when you change your goals using the "recommended" setting, it will adjust your calories. You can then go in and change your macros on the other setting if you want. I do it about every 5 lbs because you lose about 30 calories for every 5 lbs. If you wait to lose 15 lbs, you would then lose about 90-100 calories all at once. I have found it fairly easy to adjust to the minimal calorie loss every two to four weeks.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Is your ultimate goal weight being used to calculate your calories or is it the first goal? I track mini goals of 5 lbs for myself so I don't look too far ahead at all the weight I have to lose, but I set up MFP with my final goal weight (atm) so my calorie goal would be accurate. It gives a different number of calories if you say you need to lose 100 lbs versus using a mini goal of 20 lbs.