Feeling Depressed After Pregnancy Weight Gain

Options
Before I got pregnant, I was successfully able to lose 80 pounds. However, my body did not have any time to adjust and settle and when I got pregnant, I started gaining the weight back fast. When I was induced, I had gained a whopping 70 pounds. Immediately after the birth of my baby girl (June 14th,2013) , I had lost 25, then ended up gaining 5 of those back. Now I am fighting to get back down to my pre-pregnancy weight for right now and it's proving very difficult, even with breastfeeding. I have having to pretty much eat completely clean and get at least an hour of activity a day just to lose a few ounces....It's all just wearing me down! I really want to at least get back down to my pre-preg weight by my wedding this December!!!

Preweight loss weight: 305
Pre-preg weight: 230
Current weight: 276
Ultimate Goal: 180

Replies

• Bridgetthegre
    Bridgetthegre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It hasn't been that long - adjusting to the baby, your body and everything else takes time. Keep working on those goals, but give yourself a mental break. If you genuinely feel depressed, it wouldn't hurt to talk to the doctor about it. Depending on what the doctor says, having your thyroid checked isn't a bad idea either. Keep moving - it gets better!
  • gemflower
    gemflower Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Give yourself time. I have two little girls (2.5 years and 17 months) that are 16 months apart....it took awhile for me to start getting into shape again. Don't lose hope and just take it day by day. With my first one I did the 30 day shred while she was too young to go in a jogger...I lost about 12 pounds doing that.

Just keep moving and know that you gave life to a wonderful little baby who loves you to the moon and back :)
  • ashb1216
    ashb1216 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Give it time !! You're body needs to recover from just creating a baby. My baby is 5 months old, and I have only managed to lose 15 lbs... which is still 5 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight.... but also, take the time to enjoy your little one... there are only young once !! Try including your LO in your workouts... But, def. give it time !! You did it before...you can do it again
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    It is depressing. My LO is a year old in 16 days & I'm the same weight I was just 2 weeks after I had her. My 1st bub it took me 18 months to lose 22kgs. This time around it's proving much harder.

It will take time. Don't give up :flowerforyou:
  • Jessimaaka
    Jessimaaka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It will take time. I gained 50lbs with my son born Aug 12, 2012, and I had gained 25lbs shortly before becoming pregnant in my struggle to quit smoking. I dropped about 20lbs soon after giving birth and then had to work very very hard to lose the rest. I finally lost those 50lbs by the time he was 6 months, but I was unable to start exercising or anything until he was 3 months old (very rough c-section recovery). I am working very hard on the last 4 lbs left from quitting smoking, and my little man turns 1 next Monday. It is a process, but it is TOTALLY doable. It is also not linear (ie you will have setbacks, don't give up!!!). Best of luck, you've done it before, you can definitely do it again.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Please don't laugh as I remember how hard it was with an infant, but try to get as much rest as you can. Not getting enough sleep will stall weight loss.

Create a food diary here if you haven't already and log every bite and every sip.

You need some extra calories for breastfeeding. You doctor should have a good recommendation.

Stay away from junk food and processed foods. Drink lots of water.