Lifting heavy at home-advice? (Female)

Options
Hi. I'm looking for advice. Never lifted heavy before but really want to try it to improve physique. Problem is I don't have a gym, I work out at home. I've just read the "new rules of lifting for women" but I can't see how I could do that program at home without spending a fortune on equipment (as well as an extension on the house to fit it all in!)
I have my hubby's dumbbell sets and 2 kettle bells, I think 8 and 12kg.

I'm currently doing insanity and want to keep doing it but want to add in a weights routine, so I don't really think p90x or anything is suitable as its more cardio too and I really want to focus on building muscle in this portionif my routine if that makes sense.
I don't mind buying a chin up bar like I think I'd need for that but barbells and weight benches seems a tad extreme.

I've also looked at the Lauren brooks kettle bell DVD, would this work? I just kind if feel like they're all not really what I want which is to have a gym attached to my house so I can do the string lifts or new rules type workouts!!

Any advice?

(I can't go the gym as I have 2 kids (2 and 10 weeks) who I'm at home with 24hrs a day. No gyms by me have a babysitting service, i live in the middle if countryside)

Replies

• emmamc252
    emmamc252 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just having a look, would something like this do for the new rules program?

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/9237245/c_1/1|category_root|Sports+and+Leisure|33006346/Trail/searchtext%3EBENCH.htm

It's cheap enough for me to buy (if hubby lets me totally take over the conservatory?
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Check out WWW.muscle and strength.com. Sorry, I am on the android phone, it won't let me make it a link. But there is an at home dumbbell work out that is really good. Its total body, 3 times per week. I have a bench (from my dining room) that I use for bench press, but you can modify it from the floor if you need to. Also on the step ups, I use my second step on my stairs. For equipment, just invest in different size dumbbells, or an adjustable set.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Im on week 3 of Stronglifts 5x5 and am absolutely addicted!! I workout at home as well only because I prefer to be in my own space. I purchased barbell and 200 pounds of plate weights for about 140$ Its something to start with and doesnt take up much space... I did not purchase a weight bench for lack of space, but still do the bench press portion of the workout using a reclined massage chair for now.
  • emmamc252
    Options
    200lb of weight? Wow? That one only goes to 30kg! See I have no idea how heavy I need at all! I've always been a cardio gal!!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    bump
  • emmamc252
    Options
    Maybe realistically I need a gym to pursue this? Maybe I will try the kettle bell DVD for now :(
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    200lb of weight? Wow? That one only goes to 30kg! See I have no idea how heavy I need at all! I've always been a cardio gal!!

I started with 25 pounds on all the stronglift lifts and paid more attention to form the first week (still do really) versus weight... I've only increased to 40-80 pounds depending on the lift/workout so far.... its challenging but so simple to follow .. the part that caught my attention was more so the lack of needing tons of equipment or gym time. Start small and work your way up... I will bet you will fall in love with it too!!

Strong is the new Sexy :wink:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Since you don't have access to equipment, lifting heavy isn't really going to be possible. Focus on exercises you can do with your kettlebells and bodyweight exercises and save up for equipment or a gym membership.

Look into Convict Conditioning, NerdFitness and You Are Your Own Gym.

You can also look into alternative strength training programs like TRX Suspension and Sandbags. They will require some investment but well worth it and better than nothing.

Bodybuilding.com also has a great database of exercises.

But, you can definitely progress with strength training without the equipment and at least it's a great place to start.

For example, I went from only being able to do wall push ups to half push ups to full. And I'm even doing diamond, divebomber and decline push ups.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    If you're not lifting barbells then I'm not sure of any heavy lifting program for you. But wanted to add I managed to get all my equipment for 0 dollars on kijiji. Worth keeping an eye out.

Just wanted to point out that I hope the OP realizes that a lot of the heavy lifting advice isn't heavy lifting. Hope they can differentiate between the two so they don't go into a program expecting the same type of results.
  • rachael1805
    rachael1805 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have a bar and a range of weights from 1.5kg- 10kgs, so I can get up to 30kgs if I load them up... then I do the muscle groups as you would in Pump or something similar- squats, lunges, chest, back, biceps, triceps, shoulders, abs.

30day shred uses hand weights and it is really effective, too.

I work out at home too. It frustrating at times, but I also can't make the time to the gym with 3 kids under 6 and working fulltime with a fishing addicted husband! So lounge room and late at night it is for me!
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Wanted to add you should keep an eye on craigslist because you never know when someone is trying to get rid of equipment fast and cheap.

Also, an Iron Gym pull up bar is about $28 and you can also get a Cap dumbbell set for about $65 on Amazon. Comes with 2 5lb handles 4 2.5lb plates and 4 5lb plates. then just buy heavier plates when able.
  • Superfantastic
    Options
    Not heavy lifting, but I like the Power Sculpt DVD from the Biggest Loser people for strength training at home. I have 5 and 8 lb dumbbells I use for it. Lots of combined dumbbells and body weight stuff and it's in three segments, so you can choose how much to do, depending on your ability level and/or the time you have that day.
  • jaggerhawks
    jaggerhawks Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells is not heaving lifting. Basically with the equipment you have, you can't craft a proper lifting routine that includes legs and glutes..it'd be pretty imbalanced.

Next best thing would be bodyweight circuits. Check out bodyrock.tv or zuzana's workouts. You can get a fine enough workout with burpees, advanced squats and a jumprope.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Kettlebells is not heaving lifting. Basically with the equipment you have, you can't craft a proper lifting routine that includes legs and glutes..it'd be pretty imbalanced.

Next best thing would be bodyweight circuits. Check out bodyrock.tv or zuzana's workouts. You can get a fine enough workout with burpees, advanced squats and a jumprope.

I disagree. She may not be able to craft a proper heavy lifting routine, but she can most certainly make a weight training routine that incudes legs and glutes that can be great for a beginner and someone without equipment.

You can't expect her to jump right into advanced squats and burpees if she doesn't have the basics or form down.
  • jaggerhawks
    jaggerhawks Posts: 187 Member
    Options

I disagree. She may not be able to craft a proper heavy lifting routine, but she can most certainly make a weight training routine that incudes legs and glutes that can be great for a beginner and someone without equipment.

You can't expect her to jump right into advanced squats and burpees if she doesn't have the basics or form down.

Kettle bells is an extremely specific sect (if that) of weight lifting, so it's impossible to craft a balanced routine with just that, even for a beginner.

Proper form for squats and burpees can be learned from anyone with basic comprehension and the internet. We all started as beginners.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap barbell & bench set from Sears for about $100 with 80 pounds of weights, then bought more weights (and a new barbell) as needed. It does take up quite a bit of space. If you have a spare room of any kind, you'll be fine. As long as the ceiling isn't too low for overhead press (which rules out my basement).

If I had to do it over again, I would have scoured craigslist for used equipment instead.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Agreed even body squats (not the same form as weighted squats) kicked my puny sedentary *kitten*. And really did so with essentially milk jug weights. If you're starting from nothing, something is better. That said, heavy lifting is leaps and bounds better imo.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm doing New Rules and I don't have a bench or a squat rack. I do have dumbbells with a good variety of weight plates. I also have a barbell and a pull up bar. If an exercise requires a bench or a ball, I look up modifications and just keep going! The whole point is to move heavy stuff.