1st time lifter needs pushed in right direction please

Options
I just bought my first set of free weights and a bench. Wondering if there is a good web site that can help me with a routine that is not overwhelming. Looking to burn fat. At 43, I don't expect to get "shedded". I just want to lose my pear shape and maybe build up my chest, arms and abs. Probably going to need some vitamins and suppliments I guess.

I find it discouraging that for every site that says to do something, you have another one that says they are full of bull.

Any "real life" storties from guys in my position?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    google stronglifts for a decent full body routine that will get you where you need to be. if you'd like to read more, buy Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yes there are actually real life stories in here (with pics), start perusing the success threads and also keep an eye out for women's lifting threads and there are women in your age range that have had miraculous results on this site.

Aim high. It's possible. Congratulations on your new weights. Mine got sold recently at a garage sale out of my mom's house so I'm probably going to have to do the same soon, as I am no longer going to have access to the gym I was relying on for weights. I am currently very envious of you.
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    I started lifting at 281lbs and well over 40% bodyfat. I couldn't do a pushup, my endurance was terrible, and I struggled using 20lb dumbbells for most exercises.

Fast forward six months, I'm at 240 ~25% bodyfat. 415 Deadlift, 345 Squat, and 275 bench.

I started out by following the New Rules of Lifting (original book) program. It served me well, but I decided after a little over three months that I was ready to push myself more.

New Rules of Lifting or Starting Strength are great places to start. Also, please do not neglect leg training.
  • Wilsongood
    Wilsongood Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    2nd recommendation. I'll look it up. Thanks. Your story gives me hope ! Got some new sneakers and cloths today. Guess I have to really commit or wife with give me more troubles than just my weight :)
  • Wilsongood
    Wilsongood Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, My Choc. Not often I hear someone being envious of ME :) I like, I think, I love, I'm confused....I don't know how I feel about that profile pic :) Definitely different!
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5!!! Quick, easy, and you'll DEFINITELY see progress!
  • DaveEnberg
    DaveEnberg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Scooby's Workshop . Look it up on google . Good info and workout programs for beginners.