Clothes sizing

Options
I'm currently 5"7, 169lbs and a UK size 14 (I think that's a US size 10).

My goal weight is 140lbs, which is lighter than I was when I was 11 years old (always been overweight) so I have no idea what size that would be. I would like to buy a dress in that size to motivate me and need a rough estimation for the size.

So, what size does a 5"7, 140lb person wear?

Replies

• nikki91950
    Options
    way too hard to tell. i think generally speaking, every 10 pounds is a dress size. my suggestion? go out, find a dress that fits in whatever size you are now. then, buy the identical dress but in a size that's like two or three sizes smaller, and make sure to keep the tags on and keep track of the reciept, because you can go back later if you need to and exchange it for an even smaller size :D
  • viverevolution
    viverevolution Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'7, and at 140 lbs I'm a US 5/6 (sorry, i don't know the UK size for that).
    Although everyone is different, as the poster above said, but I hope that helps!
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thats very difficult because we are all built so different and different clothing designers cut their clothes so many ways. I'm just under 200 lbs and I wear a size 12, but I know people much smaller than me in weight, that wear the same size. I'd only have to be 180 to be a size 10...........
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", 180 lbs, and wearing a size 8. Everybody's different.
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    5'5" and at 140 was probably in an 8 or 10 US size depending on the pants. Dresses are sized very different as I am now in a size 4-6 pants but have suit (skirt & jacket) is a size 11, also bought a skirt for my son's wedding in a size 3/4. Go figure!
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Okay, whoa! Seriously? You mean I'm like only 22 pounds from being able to shop with some consistency in the Misses section?? And only 20 more to be in a 10? Rock ON!!!!

I was actually giving this some thought this morning. Sizes have really changed over the past 25 years. I was 117 pounds in high school (1987) and wore a 5 or 7 and was only 5'2, 5'3. I wasn't at ALL 'hippy' either.

That's okay. I like vanity sizing. But back in the day (man I'm old) I would have worn a 0 or 2 at best by today's standards. And at 140 pounds I was squeezing into a 9, 160 pounds an 11 (at least in Lawman jeans).
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and I was 135. I wore a size 6 US. I think that's a size 8 UK.

But cut matters. Just because a dress looks great on the hanger doesn't mean it looks good on a person. I would hate for you to buy a dream dress, do the work of getting to that size, and then have it look odd on. You might think it's you and the reality is cloths can look strange on even a size 2 person if the cut just isn't right for your body. But all that said, do what makes you happy and motivates you.
  • bekkyhughes
    Options
    Thanks for all your help, I will buy a dress in a UK size 8 because that is 3 sizes down from what I am now :)

By the way kspeach, I was wearing a UK size 10/12 when I was 11. I stopped wearing childrens clothes when I was 10 I think.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I am 5'7" and currently around 134lbs. Most of the new clothes in my closet are (US) size 8's but there are few size 6's. I would suggest you buy something snazzy, clingy in a size 8 and hang it from your bedroom door to see everyday!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm from the UK

I have a typical hourglass figure with my bust and hips measuring exactly the same. My height is 5ft 6.5 (that half an inch is really important to me :laugh: )

At 192lbs back in March, I was in size 16 clothes, although these were almost a little snug on me!

I am now 154lbs and managed to get into a size 12 wedding dress last week. My jeans are size 12 and these are a little loose on me...I don't think I'll ever be a tyical size 10, as I never have been...although with 14 pounds to go...who knows...I may be able to squeeze into it.

Store sizes vary significantly, as you know, so I would suggest going into charity stores for a few months until you are at a maintenance weight...that's what I have done and you can get some incredible bargains! :flowerforyou:

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 5"7, 169lbs and a UK size 14 (I think that's a US size 10).

My goal weight is 140lbs, which is lighter than I was when I was 11 years old (always been overweight) so I have no idea what size that would be. I would like to buy a dress in that size to motivate me and need a rough estimation for the size.

So, what size does a 5"7, 140lb person wear?

It will be approximately a size 10, but it will also depend on a person's shape too.

Roughly a 10 though - that's UK size 10 by the way
  • bekkyhughes
    Options
    Thanks for all your help :)
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I'm 127# 5'5" and wear a US size 10 due to my shoulders... a skirt I would wear a US size 5. I would say just pick up something 2 sizes smaller than the one that fits you now and you should be safe. :flowerforyou:
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    IM 5'7" AS WELL AND WEIGH 147 RIGHT NOW AND MY CLOTHING RANGES FROM A 6 TO AN 8.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    IM 5'7" AS WELL AND WEIGH 147 RIGHT NOW AND MY CLOTHING RANGES FROM A 6 TO AN 8.

Only thing is, UK and US sizes are different. A size 10 in UK is an 8 in US.
  • LAgal
    LAgal Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", 180 lbs, and wearing a size 8. Everybody's different.

Wow!! I wish. I am 5'6" and 184 and I wear a 14.