Weight

Options
Hello everyone!

A month and a half ago I started to go to the gym and workout for 1h30-2h00, 6 days a week. I was very happy to see that I've lost 10 kgs already (22 lbs), but I came off my little pink cloud when I started to think about loose skin. Am I losing weight too fast? I am now 99 kgs (218 lbs) but my stomach is not hanging, I am heavy but nothing really hangs. It would be great to have feedback from people who are losing that much weight within a month or so and are healthy.

Thank you so much for the help!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much. Your weight loss will slow as you get closer to your goal. Enjoy the good times now when it comes of easy!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Loose skin is a result of poor skin elasticity and genetics. There isn't much you can do about it except try to stay moisturized and hope it minimizes it.

Aside from that, you could possibly need the skin removed when you hit your goal weight.

However, fear of having loose skin is NO REASON to be afraid of losing weight.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I had lost 50 pounds in less than a year and nothing had happened to my skin. Like the person above me had mentioned, skin elasticity, genetics, age, health, etc. all play a role.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I have lost since April 10th just under 30 pounds and because of my age ( 65 ) I fully expected to be saggy all over the place and was ready ( and still am ) to live with it. So far no sagging has happened and in looking into the subject I found out that it does not happen to all people. I did however find out that lifestyle ( apart from other already mentioned reaons ) can play a significant role.
    I always have eaten a healthy, non.processed and vegetable heavy diet all my life, only smoked in my early years ad quit almost 40 years ago, almost don't drink. Whatever the reason for me not yet sagging....I'll take it and plan to be more vigilant in regard to moisturizing and hydrating.
  • jc31388
    jc31388 Posts: 11
    Options
    Skin can retract. It doesnt become loose skin forever. I don't think your losing weight drastic enough for you to look like some of the people on biggest loser.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    You're putting the cart way ahead of the horse.

One of my friends here has lost over100 pounds and she went to see a surgeon about taking care of the loose skin.

He told her that until you have maintained weight for 18 months, you cannot be sure what your body will look like. As long as you are losing weight, and for at least 18 months thereafter, your body and skin are still adjusting. After 18 months at your goal weight, then think about being concerned.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

A month and a half ago I started to go to the gym and workout for 1h30-2h00, 6 days a week. I was very happy to see that I've lost 10 kgs already (22 lbs), but I came off my little pink cloud when I started to think about loose skin. Am I losing weight too fast? I am now 99 kgs (218 lbs) but my stomach is not hanging, I am heavy but nothing really hangs. It would be great to have feedback from people who are losing that much weight within a month or so and are healthy.

Thank you so much for the help!

Down 78 pounds and I don't have all that loose skin; just the 'normal' under arm jiggle and inner thigh jiggle; 2 areas I could never seem to get rid of--I had been up and down in weight over the years; I sometimes wonder if it's because of that. Just stay focused and don't worry about that stuff; worry only about your health and your goals:)
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    22 lbs in a month and a half might be too fast depending on your weight.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    When I first starting losing I lost about 10kg in 6 weeks or so. My weight loss has slowed down considerably since then. It's taken me 14 months of losing to lose just on 40kg. I have wobbly bits - arms, stomach (but I've also had a full term twin pregnancy, may have ruined it forever lol), mostly it's like my skin is just a bit too big for my body currently - I notice things like wrinkles of skin at my ankles when I bend my feet, and I can pinch a LOT of loose skin on my hands. Generally it's not too noticeable and I assume it will shrink with me over time.

I wouldn't worry over an initial loss of 10kg in 6 weeks or so.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    As long as you are losing weight, and for at least 18 months thereafter, your body and skin are still adjusting. After 18 months at your goal weight, then think about being concerned.
    I agree. I was told the same thing. My doctor said to give my skin a couple of years to readjust to the new me. Maybe it was 2 years for me because I'm not young anymore. He said younger skin has more elasticity and will "snap back" faster. I am just now seeing my skin start to contract in those problem places: upper arms, lower belly, inner thighs. I'm just being patient.