how do I know what a serving size is?

Options
I entered in a recipe under my foods and added all the ingredients and the amounts. However, how do I know how many people it will serve? How do I know how much 1 cup equals out to? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    What do you mean how much is a cup?
    It's a cup, not 1/2 cup, not 3/4's cup, not 1-1/2 cups,. it's a cup.....
    LOL
    Cup is kinda a funny word if you say it alot....
    Most recipes will tell you how much is serves.
  • rbcca19
    Options
    LOL. Sorry! I knew I wasn't being clear enough. What I am asking is I made a homemade soup. I know exactly what I put into it, but how do I know what a the nutritional info is? I added everything into MFP, but how do I know what a serving size is? Is a serving size 1/2 cup? 1.5 cups? How do I know what the serving size is for a homemade soup?
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You just have to decide how many servings it makes (once you make it). You can always change it if you get less or more servings out of it. Most recipes you get online, or in cookbooks, say how many it serves and I use that to start with and make changes, if applicable.

Just saw you additional note. For soup, I would say at least one cup - that's the way it is on canned soup.
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If its your own recipe you decide. When i made soup i did it as one cup servings. And then took my measuring cup and poured from the pot into the container one cup at a time until i figured out how many were in the pot. One cup servings was good for me because if i wanted to eat more in my dairy i would just double it.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I make my recipes, and then try to serve them in bowls/divided plates where I KNOW what the size is (2 cup bowls, divided plates with 1 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1/2 cup spots), or dish everything out into containers (again, I know the size) and determine how many "servings" it makes.

You can also use a certain pan that you know measurements of (4 quart sauce pan), or crock pot (we have a 4 quart crock pot), etc. It all works out! Good for you, entering your recipes and working out how many calories are in the dishes you make!!!!

FYI, some cooking/recipe sites give recipes and TELL you how many servings a dish is, as well as nutritional info..... that can be helpful too.

Best of luck to you! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • John8188
    Options
    What I like to do is to cook it then weigh it and divide it by how many I want it to be. So if it comes out to 24oz I make each serving 4oz.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I think I get what you are trying to say...what I do is just put in the box how many people I want to serve with the dish. Then I add every ingredient either by weight or volume, depending on what the dish consists of and divide by that number of people. Example: Chicken Soup, 64 oz Chicken Broth, 32 oz Chicken, 4 oz Carrots, 4 oz Celery, 8 oz noodles; add everything up 112 oz. and divide by the number of people you may want to serve or servings you want to get out of the dish-say 6. Answer 18.6 oz per serving (by Volume)=2.3 Cups. Liquids would use volume and dry measures would use weight (buy a little kitchen scale). Hope this is beneficial, it's the only way I can explain it.