The Clothing Issue

Options
I went shopping in the "regular" size section for the first time in about 5 years. It was so overwhelming! The sheer amount of square footage one must cover to investigate all the options boggles the mind. 99% of my current wardrobe is from 3 stores. I could almost shop from the doorway. Now, those clothes aren't fitting, what used to take 30 minutes today took 3.5 hours, and I have to...change!

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that there's enough of a difference in my body to need new clothes, but I need to learn a(nother) new skill. How to shop efficiently, with a toddler.

For those who have transitioned from "plus" or "big & tall" sizes to "regular" size, how do you manage your shopping?

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I was thrilled when I didn't fit the plus sizes anymore! Since I am in-between sizes right now and plan to lose more weight I have been buying my pants at thrift stores since I know they won't fit in a few months. For tops I have been buying at clearance outlets. I find that now I am really liking clothes shopping which I hated before. I let dad watch the kids while I go shopping or I do a lot of online shopping once I know my size with a certain retailer. That is the challenge, figuring out what your new size is so you have to try on a lot more! I actually care about what I wear now. It is such a nice feeling :happy:
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I didn't go from plus-size to regular, but I did go from regular to juniors (sometimes). Anyway, you might consider taking a friend who likes shopping or whose clothing tastes you like and also find a sitter or friend/family member to watch your baby. I sometimes find shopping so overwhelming that I basically shut down and can't do it, but having a friend really helps. I "window" shop online, to get ideas of what I might like before hand, and make a list of things I need and colors that will go with what I have or will coordinate. Go in with a plan:) Also, don't buy too much at once, because your body is still changing and the clothes you buy now may not fit well after a month or two.
  • oOxXxOo
    oOxXxOo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bump. It will be about 6 years for me and I currently shop in two stores....
    No toddler though.
    :D
  • angelac1296
    angelac1296 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I worked at a retail clothing store for years, and saw a lot of moms with toddlers. (I personally didn't shop much when mine were little, we were too broke! LOL) Anyway...
    The moms I talked to that had good kids (had to compliment moms who's kids weren't brats!) kept the trips short, even if that meant they had to spread the shopping out over a couple trips. The BIGGEST thing is not to make idle threats. If you're going to leave if they don't knock it off, then LEAVE if they keep acting up. Once the child knows you mean what you say, that you really won't go to the park or play area or whatever if they are good, then they will behave. I'd avoid rewards with food, so that you aren't giving them issues with food.

Is there any one who can babysit for you for your next couple trips? Maybe just so you can get a feel for what stores you might like to shop in, with no distractions.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    In those huge stores, they will have areas for women's, juniors, etc. Also they will divide it up into sections where certain designers are featured. This is true in department stores, not sure where you are shopping. You will find that you gravitate to certain designers, and not need to look ALL over the store. JCPenney recently changed it's management and is now featuring some really great stuff in there.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    If you're still in transition, buy a few nice 'core' pieces at a dress shop and fill in your wardrobe at the thrift stores or stores like Ross Dress for Less where you can get name brands for a fraction of the price.

Once you get past the initial shock of how much is available to you, you'll probably still find just 3-4 stores that you gravitate to.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Weirdly enough, I go to fewer stores now that I'm "normal" sized. I used to be a regular at Avenue and Lane Bryant since I needed to shop there for bras anyway (topped out at 42F) and I would often pick up jeans and other random items like my wedding dress. Now the only ting they would have in my size is jewelery, so I don't bother.

Then again, I never did check out the smaller, chic shops in the mall, largely because so few of them have a petites section. Now they're all too young for my anyway, but that won't keep me out of Hot Topic.

I do recommend setting out a plan of attack, otherwise you can be wandering around there all day. Look online for sales in stores near you and see how far you can get into the clearance bin before you drop another dress size.
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If I saw a woman wearing something I liked I would ask her where she bought it. I actually still do this. I had no idea where to buy clothes, and it is still a mystery in many ways. Also keep in mind that it is time consuming and that you will have to try on many items. You may make mistakes and buy stuff that isn't quite right a few times. It is a learning process.

I second the opinions to get a babysitter and try to bring a supportive friend. Shopping with kids is usually challenging and frustrating.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    If I saw a woman wearing something I liked I would ask her where she bought it. I actually still do this. I had no idea where to buy clothes, and it is still a mystery in many ways. Also keep in mind that it is time consuming and that you will have to try on many items. You may make mistakes and buy stuff that isn't quite right a few times. It is a learning process.

I second the opinions to get a babysitter and try to bring a supportive friend. Shopping with kids is usually challenging and frustrating.
    Yes!
    It's super hard to shop with little ones.
    Just a quick stop into my favorite sections in the store is all I could manage. I actually never try anything on. I almost never have to take anything back, I know what will look good. But you could always skip the dressing room and try it on in the comfort of your own home. I hate dressing rooms!:)
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I ventured into Old Navy first I believe. There was comfort to me
    knowing if I couldn't fit n2 the normal sized stuff, I'de get plus sized.
    I'm still a bit new to 'non plus sized'. I've bought vanity sized items
    but it is daunting never knowing if anything will/won't work. What
    really made me realise I'm not a plus sized woman isn't so much
    the particular stores, it was when I no longer had to buy men's
    sports apparel. I actually can wear sexy sports attire in womens ..
    that was my aha moment. :)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I prefer the "buy, try on at home, return if necessary" method. Gets me in and out faster and I don't mind multiple trips - plus I can't freakin STAND store dressing rooms - give me the willies.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Ebay bargains all the way. None of the hassle of store shopping. Can be done after the little one's bedtime or while he's occupied with something else.

Sometimes I get the sizing wrong without the benefit of trying something on, but never did like the dressing room experience in any case.

You soon get an idea of which brands give the best fit for you. There is still enormous variety in sizes across brands so a size 10 in one will swamp me but in another will barely claw past my hips.

I like this site for size comparisons but it's UK based http://sizes.darkgreener.com/

ETA just noticed there's a little button you can click on (top right of page) for US sizing and stores :-)
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    When i first moved to Germany i was 291 pounds, wearing a 2XL Shirt size and a size 42 pants. Buying these types of clothing in America can sometimes be difficult, but in Germany its literally impossible. The only store that had my old size of clothing was C&A which has 1 rack on the 3rd floor of the store which featured random (and ugly) button up shirts and pants with elastic bands like an old man would wear. The worst part, a US 2XL is like a 3XL in Germany. Nice self-esteem boost.

Now I am 116kg which is roughly 256 pounds i think, the options are seemingly endless. I can shop at normal stores like C&A, H&M, AVG, and the entire lot without much difficulty. I no longer have to by ugly shirts and stretchy pants and I feel so much better about myself.

I can't wait to go home to America in a few weeks and see what my family and friends think!
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I had a similar thing! I had to get my clothes on the internet because I was fat and tall and tall sizes only go up to 16 or 18 in stores! Not cool! Now I can shop wherever I want! It is soo cool! But hard with a child who is nearly 3! I try to take someone with me if I can to help keep tabbs on the child! Or I make use of hide and seek around the racks!! This does depend on the child though! My LO is quite good and wont stray too far!
  • Notalwaysblonde
    Notalwaysblonde Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Online shopping..! The option of multiple choice (and size) and the comfort of your own home as your changing room. I am tall (5 feet 10 inches) and always struggle with jeans and trousers for length.. Here in the UK every shop's sizes differ. I find that shopping online is so much eaiser then the only trip I have to make is to the Post Office to return the unwanted items..! If I do go into town shopping then Department Stores are good as they generally have lots of different clothing stores all under one roof.. Much easier, especially with little ones..! x
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend googling Project 333. It is all about dressing with less in number of pieces. That being said, get some basics (depending on your work and home life needs) and then shop the thrift stores , TJ Maxx, etc. At my skinniest in my late 30's I had been a size 10, so when I lost weight down to that size I bought a few very nice things -- Wrong! -- my weight stabilized at about 10 pounds below that which put my waist at a size 4, pants at a size 6 or 6, and my tops are small/medium size 8.

I even lost a half size in shoes. Crazy , at age 54. I manage my budget/clothing by following the guidelines in Project 333 with a few exceptions (sorry, jewelry,purses and shoes don't count in the 33 pieces).

I shop at TJ Maxx, Marshall's and Nordstrom's. I buy two bras every six months at Nordstroms and am remeasured each time. I work as a business consultant so it's pretty easy to mix and match Blazers, cardiagans, pants and skirts. I live in jeans at home and wear the same black seperates I wear for work at church as I am in the church orchestra.

I have bought the tall gloria vanderbuilt jeans in black and blue at Costco, and a few cardigans there as well. I wear NYDJ pants/jeans otherwise for work.

I don't like shopping for clothes on line, but NYDJ runs true to size after you have picked the style, length, and size you feel comfortable in. They actually had a table full of them at Costco yesterday - but none in my size, darn it.