Any fat Chefs out there?

Options
arose544
arose544 Posts: 31 Member
I’m a technician in a fried food test kitchen (I come up with new recipes for things such as onion rings, cheese curds, mozz sticks, loaded potato skins, poppers, corn dogs etc…). I haven’t had to take in too many extra calories as of late. However, there are days that I can blow all my allotted calories before lunchtime!! It’s quite disgusting, and not to mention frustrating!! Just wondering if there are any Chefs out there trying to lose weight? Is there light at the end of my tunnel? How do you deal with all the food AND maintaining a healthy lifestyle? Most of the people I meet in this industry are exceedingly unhealthy. Am I eternally damned?
and...I guess I should have asked if there were any 'healthy' chefs out there instead :) Too late now, it wont let me change my topic.
oh, and thanks for the input!

Replies

• gsylvester13
    gsylvester13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not a chef but I do cook a lot. If I'm understanding you right, what you're having trouble with is eating as you cook (correct me if I'm wrong). I find that keeping a water bottle around actually helps quite a bit. Keep drinking water and it will make you feel full as you work. If you still need something to snack on get something low calorie (veggies, popcorn, nuts, etc.) measure them out, and put them in a bowl. Munch on those as you cook so you don't end up eating extra onion rings. Let me know if this helps
  • arose544
    arose544 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm not a chef but I do cook a lot. If I'm understanding you right, what you're having trouble with is eating as you cook (correct me if I'm wrong). I find that keeping a water bottle around actually helps quite a bit. Keep drinking water and it will make you feel full as you work. If you still need something to snack on get something low calorie (veggies, popcorn, nuts, etc.) measure them out, and put them in a bowl. Munch on those as you cook so you don't end up eating extra onion rings. Let me know if this helps

Actually I am required to eat the food I work with. I actually 'invent' new recipes and therefore need to sample everything. it's pretty rough. I just ate about 10 different cheese curds (not the best way to start a day). Kinda brings me down, I try so hard with my workouts and other eating...just to have it destroyed due to my job.
  • Stelpertruda
    Options
    I'm a chef and for better and worse it's our job to know what the food we're serving tastes like and have it in front of our faces ll day long ! :) My problem is that I have to create daily specials for the rest of the staff to taste and end up eating what's left over myself (not as a meal). I also have to taste sauces and prepared items daily. All that tasting is why I found my way here to get back in shape!

What I've found that works is to only take a very small bite to taste and then IMMEDIATELY throw the remainder in the garbage. As some one whose livelihood revolves around food and cooking, it's hard and I really hate it, but in the long run better that I don't finish the whole thing.

I also try to bring breakfast/lunch/dinner (depending on the shift) from home where I know there will be healthy options instead of relying on finding a meal to eat there. Filling up on a hearty breakfast usually insures that I won't spend the rest of the day grazing (too much ;)) .
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Chef (more or less) here too. I end up having to taste things all day long...I try to limit it to just a teaspoon or so, since I'm just checking seasoning and that tells me what I need to know. Other than that I try not to look at what I'm producing as anything other than just a product. I don't eat at the restaurant unless I happen to come in as a guest. Our food is very good...but I'm very tired of it by now....