Lentil recipes

Options
I've just bought two kilos of lentils. One red and one brown. Anyone got any good healthy recipes to use them in? I've used the red in a red lentil pumpkin soup and the other is for a brown lentil vegetable soup. But neither recipe will use a kilo of lentils... so i need some good ideas. anyone?

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil Lentil sloppy joes
    1/2 small onion, finely chopped
    1 small carrot, finely chopped
    1/2 bell pepper (red or green), finely chopped
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 cup dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    8 ounces lean ground beef or ground turkey
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    6 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
    6 slices cheddar cheese (if you have the calories
    Sliced pickles and/or pickled jalapeno peppers, for topping (optional)

Directions

Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, bell pepper and 2 tablespoons ketchup and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are slightly soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add the lentils, oregano and 4 cups water; bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the lentils are tender and the water is absorbed, 35 to 40 minutes (add up to 1 more cup water if necessary). Season with salt and pepper.

Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until it begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce and the remaining 6 tablespoons ketchup and cook, stirring, until combined. Add the lentil mixture and 1 cup water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and the mixture thickens, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Fill the buns with
    lentil mixture
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil Lentil sloppy joes
    1/2 small onion, finely chopped
    1 small carrot, finely chopped
    1/2 bell pepper (red or green), finely chopped
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 cup dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    8 ounces lean ground beef or ground turkey
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    6 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
    6 slices cheddar cheese (if you have the calories
    Sliced pickles and/or pickled jalapeno peppers, for topping (optional)

Directions

Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, bell pepper and 2 tablespoons ketchup and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are slightly soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add the lentils, oregano and 4 cups water; bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the lentils are tender and the water is absorbed, 35 to 40 minutes (add up to 1 more cup water if necessary). Season with salt and pepper.

Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until it begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce and the remaining 6 tablespoons ketchup and cook, stirring, until combined. Add the lentil mixture and 1 cup water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and the mixture thickens, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Fill the buns with
    lentil mixture

Bump!
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Middle Eastern Lentil Soup

(I've gotten this soup all over the Middle East, but I think its usually associated with Turkish food)

1 cup red lentils
    6 cups water
    1 bouillon cube
    1 onion
    1 zucchini
    1/2 red bell pepper
    1 carrot
    1/2 green bell pepper
    2 tsp tomato paste
    1 mist of olive oil
    - For the spices
    2 tsp butter/ghee
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp mustard seeds
    6 cloves garlic
    salt to taste
    pepper to taste

1. Sautee the onions by misting them a bit with oil. At first have them at a high heat, them turn them down until they cook, then back up to a high heat to carmelize a bit. The thinner the onions are sliced the better this method will work.
    2. Add lentils, water, bouillon and chopped veggies.
    3. Bring to a high boil for about 3 minutes, then a low boil for about 40. (Normally I cook this in my pressure cooker for about 10-15 minutes, but a regular pot will do just fine.)
    4. Blend your soup using a blender or immersion blender.
    5. In a separate pan cook up your butter/ghee. Add cumin and mustard seeds. Add finely chopped or pressed garlic to mix as well. Add to soup and let the soup simmer for a little bit.
    6. Do a taste test for salt and pepper. Usually I add 2 tsp of course sea salt and a few turns from my pepper grinder.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    If you like Indian food, i am sure you will find loads of lentil recipes online as its one of our staples:)
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This was dinner last night -- and leftovers for lunch today! It makes about 4 - 6 servings, depending on how hungry you are and if you serve it with sides (I had it with couscous).

SLOW-COOKED INDIAN-INSPIRED LENTIL-CHICKPEA CREATION :tongue:
    2/3 cup lentils (I used green, although I'm sure you could substitute the ones you've got)
    400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    400g can diced tomatoes, including juice
    1/2 large onion, chopped
    2 big handfuls baby spinach
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1cm cube ginger root, peeled and minced
    1 1/2 tsp garam masala (you could probably use curry powder instead)
    1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust to taste -- this amount gives it a tiny bit of heat, but it's pretty mild)
    1 tsp sugar
    3/4 tsp salt flakes
    2 cups chicken stock (low-sodium, if possible)
    2 tsp cornflour (optional)

Combine everything except the cornflour in the bowl of a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-7 hours (or on high for 3-4 hours, by my calculations). About an hour before serving, check the consistency, and if you think it needs thickening up, mix the cornflour with a little water, add to the bowl, and stir through.

Really simple, really tasty! According to MFP recipe box, the nutritional stats per serving (based on 6 servings) the way I made it are... 157 cals, 23g carbs, 2g fat, 12g protein :smile: