Soda

Options
I use to drink 5-6 cans of soda a DAY before I started changing my lifestyle. My question is, is it ok to have a single soda once a week? I have changed a lot about my life (changing diet and quitting smoking) and I think if I had one soda a week it would keep me from jumping ship if that makes sense.

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Drink Diet Soda endlessly if you want, or fit normal Soda into your calories as much as you want/can I guess.
  • lorarocks61
    lorarocks61 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    it's your food plan. do what you need to do.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    it's your food plan. do what you need to do.

Exactly.

I work pizza, doughnuts, and cookies into my diet. Just not all on the same day! It keeps me sane and focused.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I use to drink 5-6 cans of soda a DAY before I started changing my lifestyle. My question is, is it ok to have a single soda once a week? I have changed a lot about my life (changing diet and quitting smoking) and I think if I had one soda a week it would keep me from jumping ship if that makes sense.

I think eating a _little bit_ of almost anything is ok . . .
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda frequently. Plus I eat whatever I'm feeling like just fit it into my daily allowance.

However, saying that I do also use it to clean the toilet of limescale when it goes flat! Which does make me think I definately should cut back on the pop :laugh:
  • Zebusz
    Zebusz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to love drinking soda but I definitely cut back because I don't want to be drinking my calories. If I can fit a regular soda into my calories for the day and I feel like having one, then I'll have one. You don't have to give up the things you like.
  • ruthiebaby88
    ruthiebaby88 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I recommend drinking diet soda. I don't even like regular now that I have gotten used to diet. If you really enjoy regular soda though, go ahead and drink it - then exercise it off.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Diet is soda is actually worse for you then a regular soda!!! I used to drink a soda once or twice a day, and I've cut it down to once a week or once every two weeks, if you can fit it into your calories you will be fine. A lot of times I will just get a can and only drink half or instead grab a brisk tea which you get out of a whole can with half the calories, if I'm craving.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda frequently. Plus I eat whatever I'm feeling like just fit it into my daily allowance.

However, saying that I do also use it to clean the toilet of limescale when it goes flat! Which does make me think I definately should cut back on the pop :laugh:
    Meh, that's just because of acidity. Lemons, limes, strawberries, oranges, plums, peaches, pears, would all do the same thing if you wanted to use them for that. Not to mention, your stomach acid is far more acidic than the soda anyway, so it doesn't matter.

OP - If it fits into your nutritional goals, go ahead. I drink diet soda most of the time, and regular soda some of the time. Life is a lot more fun when I can eat and drink the things I like, and still hit my goals.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    yeah i drink diet soda like water, have that
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

Meh, that's just because of acidity. Lemons, limes, strawberries, oranges, plums, peaches, pears, would all do the same thing if you wanted to use them for that. Not to mention, your stomach acid is far more acidic than the soda anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Cheers for the science lesson :drinker:
    I also use vinegar to clean around my house for the same reason :happy:
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't see a big deal with it but I will say I gave it up completely 8 months ago and now can't tolerate it. So if u can, tough it out eventually u may have no need for that one can that may lead to another
  • nauner
    nauner Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yeah as most are saying stay within your calorie counts and it should be fine. They have some decent attempts at good tasting diet sodas on the shelves now. Diet Dr. Pepper for example is almost the same as regular in flavor, something missing in the background, but easy transition (my friend drinks reg DP, I drink diet, same look of drink containers so I would occasionally accidently take a drink of the regular and didnt notice the difference until I got the "hey keep your paws off my drink" comment). Also the reduced cal versions are nice too. Can still get your caffiene fix in. A lot of stores are carrying the 8oz versions of the sodas now too.
  • KrissyLehr136
    Options
    My issue with diet soda is that it gives me migraines so I think my body is telling me that diet soda is no good for me. Artificial sweeteners in general give me migraines. So I can't have them at all. I asked my doctor once if that was a normal reaction for some people and she said its actually pretty common. Some people just can't handle artificial sweeteners.