Strange? Across the belly button?

Options
chubaway
chubaway Posts: 1,645 Member
Not many years ago, and for a long time, my pants were 34s. Then they crept up to 36s, and stayed there for a couple years. Then early this year, without my approval, they crept up to 38s.

No way! I would not stand for that bull shift. About that same time I learned of MFP, and engaged in getting fitter (more fit?)

At that time my waist, measured across the belly button, was 40.5 inches. 2.5 inches bigger than my pants, but my pant were not tight.

Over time I lost pounds and I needed to use my belt. Soon I was back into my 36s, BUT MY WAIST STILL MEASURED 40.5.

Then my 36s started getting too loose, so this morning I tried on my 34s (I never threw them out). They fit perfectly, so I got out the same measuring tape. I was pretty sure it would read something like 37.5. GUESS WHAT? MY WAIST, ACROSS THE SAME BELLY BUTTON, STILL reads 40.5 INCHES. :(

I don't understand it. What do you think is going on?

Replies

• PixieQueen25
    PixieQueen25 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You may be losing weight but are you doing any spacific excersizes to concentrate on abs. (Stomach Excersizes)

Sometimes with a small change in diet people lose weight but without proper excersize Concentraion, you won't lose where you need to.

Concentrate one stomach alone, excersizes, and see if that helps.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce through exercise. Genetics plays a part of where you gain and lose. Where you gain first will be the area that you lose last for the most part. Just keep eating at a deficit and losing the body fat.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    You may be losing weight but are you doing any spacific excersizes to concentrate on abs. (Stomach Excersizes)

Sometimes with a small change in diet people lose weight but without proper excersize Concentraion, you won't lose where you need to.

lolwut?

Listen to Joy_Joy.
  • JeffersJJ
    JeffersJJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options

lolwut?

Listen to Joy_Joy.

Man, that was just so much bad advice and illiteracy all wrapped up in one package...my brain...it hurts (hurtz?) :-)

Joy_Joy has the right idea, bro.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have a similar thing! My waist always measures big! It is so annoying! It is just the way I am put together! Personally as long as you are dropping clothes sizes, weight and fat I wouldn't worry. You know you have an issue with your waist measurement so just forget it and move on down the sizes as you go!! Thats what I do! According to my waist measurement I should be a UK size 18-20 but I am a 14 and a loose 14 at that!

Just keep plugging on! You are obviously doing a great job if you have dropped 2 pants sizes already!!
  • PixieQueen25
    Options

lolwut?

Listen to Joy_Joy.

Man, that was just so much bad advice and illiteracy all wrapped up in one package...my brain...it hurts (hurtz?) :-)

Joy_Joy has the right idea, bro.

BASHING MUCH? REALLY?

Yeah my profile may say that I have not lost any but I am a "RARE CASE" I guess.. when it comes to "training for spacific things".. FOR YOUR INFORMATION...

I have lost a lot of inches in the area I am concentrating on most... atleast for the moment... AND IF IT DID NOT WORK... THEN WHY... do they make workouts for certain areas.

However, I am seeing results in other areas too with my workout... but mostly in a concentrated middle.

I don't know about women vs. men.

But point is... If your not EXCERSIZING at all OR your excersize is low..... you WILL NOT SEE MUCH results.

ALSO

It's proven!!! that if you change your excersizes .... you will give your body shock and start seeing results in different areas that you would not normally see...

MFPal... IS NOT FOR BASHING PEOPLE...

On top of which... DO NOT BASH BEFORE ASKING OTHER PEOPLES RESULTS..

illiteracy??? you say?

Maybe your the "illiterate" one, if YOU do not even know the definition to ILLITERATE is "NOT ABLE TO READ OR WRITE"

If I was Illiterate... I would not even be on this website for someone like YOU.. .TO BASH..

Plus... EVERY PERSON IS DIFFERENT. What works for one... may not work for the other and VICE VERSA.

Maybe I should have added more detail, but I do know what I am talking about.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    For most people the belly is the hardest part to lose fat from. My pants are down 3 sizes, probably 4, but the circumference at the belly button is only down by an inch, if that.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Listen to Joy-joy's advice, as was mentioned before. You can't spot reduce using specific targeted exercises. You can strengthen the muscle under the fat doing that, but it won't help you lose the fat from that area.

We all lose weight from different areas before others. It doesn't mean that you aren't doign what's right, it just means that you need to have more patience to see the results where you want to see them. I always lose fat in my waist after everything else, but as long as the everything else is losing, I know that the waist reduction is coming.

Just keep working your calorie deficit and exercise program. You will get there!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    For most people the belly is the hardest part to lose fat from. My pants are down 3 sizes, probably 4, but the circumference at the belly button is only down by an inch, if that.

Same here. My newest jeans are falling down and sitting on my hips, when they were tight just 6 weeks ago but my navel size measurement is the same.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Your body loses weight in a pattern that's genetically predetermined. My thighs are the last place from which I lose, and of course that's the spot I wish would hurry up and get smaller already. Just keep doing what you're doing and the fat will come off eventually.

As for targeted ab exercises, they aren't going to help you lose weight from that area. Strengthen the muscles, yes, and if you're bulking it will help grow new muscle, but none of that is going to show as long as there's still a layer of fat on top and only a calorie deficit is going to get rid of the layer of fat.
  • PixieQueen25
    Options
    I do apologize if I gave "wrong advice" at first. Maybe you can't lose "alot" of weight by "concentration" training or whatever you want to call it. I know that I did this one exersize and I can't remember the name of it... anyway.. I lost weight in more then one area... but "MOSTLY" one area. It was mostly an "AB WORKOUT" I also know they make LOTS OF DVDS that Concentrate on abs.. but they are probably cardio as well which means they may lose weight in other areas....

But any ways... what I should have added...

as I said in (second) post reply...

I know for a fact this next part works...

changing up your exersizes... doing different things each day with 1 or 2 days rest a week will show results.

Then more you stick to it, the better.

(That is all I really have to say on the matter for now)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I do apologize if I gave "wrong advice" at first. Maybe you can't lose "alot" of weight by "concentration" training or whatever you want to call it. I know that I did this one exersize and I can't remember the name of it... anyway.. I lost weight in more then one area... but "MOSTLY" one area. It was mostly an "AB WORKOUT" I also know they make LOTS OF DVDS that Concentrate on abs.. but they are probably cardio as well which means they may lose weight in other areas....

But any ways... what I should have added...

as I said in (second) post reply...

I know for a fact this next part works...

changing up your exersizes... doing different things each day with 1 or 2 days rest a week will show results.

Then more you stick to it, the better.

(That is all I really have to say on the matter for now)

It was probably a coincidence. Example, when I started lifting (and eating a deficit) I lost a lot of fat from my arms and shoulders. I could have concluded that it's because I started bench pressing. But it turns out that's just where I lose weight first.

There are tons of DVDs and products out there that are created to make money and nothing more. There are lots of people who want to lose belly fat, so presto, there's a whole market of belly fat reducing exercises, pills, and contraptions. Also I'm not saying that ab exercises are pointless, just that the results from doing them won't show until you're already pretty lean.
  • julzbennett
    julzbennett Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When I have lost weight in the past it always stays on my bum and thighs most - it's only in recent years that my stomach has been affected (and that was for me MY breaking point) but I empathise as I have a similar concern with my thighs...I lose loads of weight around by midriff but STILL need a high clothes size to fit my thighs!!! I also agree this is genetic as both of my sisters have curves in the same places!

Exercise can also play a role, as lean muscle uses 'less space' than fat (I think 1lb of fat is equivical to a tennis ball where 1lb of muscle equivalent to a golf ball...or that was how my gym instructor explained it!) I am sure that a bit of cardio to stimulate fat-loss alongside a few core strengthening exercises to add muscle-tone will help to lose the inches as well as the weight.

At the end of the day, weight loss requires calorie deficit, but strengthening helps along the way.

Either way, Any weight lost towards your goal is awesome, so well done!
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    What's happening is that your body is changing. You hips/butt/mid section is changing. Changing shape and size! This makes your pants fit differently.
    Have you measured anywhere else except across the belly button??? Measure 4inches above and below now and see how they change! Chest and Hips are good ones too!

Anyway you look at it.... you went from 38's to 34's !!!!!!!!!! That's AWESOME!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is twofold:

1. Take photos in a bra and panties from the front, side and back

2. Your true waist may have changed and may not be your belly button. Find out out where your waistband is riding and try measuring that. As you lose, the upper and side belly area may deflate and the belly button area may still be poofy, but lower than your waistband.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options

2. Your true waist may have changed and may not be your belly button. Find out out where your waistband is riding and try measuring that. As you lose, the upper and side belly area may deflate and the belly button area may still be poofy, but lower than your waistband.

But...ummm...I could have sworn he was a man. LOL
  • sallyann10010
    sallyann10010 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Your tape measure has stretched!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    Options

:laugh: All the more reason why bra and panties pictures are a great idea.

Then post them here for us to decide.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

For science!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

For science!

WIN!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!