Breastfeeding mothers

Options
Hi there. I was wondering how other breastfeeding mothers go with their calorie intake. I try not get too low so it doesn't effect my milk supply (I'd be too hungry anyway) and generally don't stress too much if I go a bit over my calories as I understand that breast feeding counts for about 500 cals.

Replies

• Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I'm pregnant at the moment but when I am feeding I will probably have my calories set at "gain 0.5lb per week" to make sure I am getting enough calories for the milk supply (this way all the macros will be correct) I won't be too concerned about losing weight while feeding, I want to make sure the baby is happy and healthy :drinker:
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't add it into my calorie goal but I do try to meet my goal each day to ensure I eat enough to maintain supply. My daughter is 13 months so not on too many feedings anyway. If I go over by like a 100 I just tend to think 'oh well that's my breastfeeding calories for the day' and try not to sweat it :smile:
  • bamag06
    bamag06 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I try to eat an extra 500 on top of what myfitness pal says I should eat and so far that has helped. If I eat less than that and exercise I tend to see a hit to my supply and it takes a while to build back up. Also sometimes if I'm starving I just eat and and assume he is upping my supply or growing.
  • xLadyKx
    xLadyKx Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out if I should be eating extra or not at the moment, like a previous poster my daughter is 12 months so only feeds three times a day, I think for me it will be a bit of trial and error
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If you check your food dairy section there are entries for breastfeeding with the number of feedings if you want to see the difference in calories.
  • xLadyKx
    xLadyKx Posts: 9
    Options
    That's great thank you :)
    It says -250 but I'm not so sure it's as much as that but I will see, no harm in trying!
  • mssteel90
    mssteel90 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I breast fed my daughter for 14 months and my son for 9. I hate to be this guy EAT EVERYTHING! I wasn't calorie counting when nursing but all I did was eat (healthyish) and the weight just dropped off. A lot faster than I expected. I usually weigh 53kg, I gained 31kg with my daughter by six months I had lost it all just from nursing, and with my son I gained about 19 again by 6 months it was gone. If you really feel the need to count calories I would say it would depend on how often and for how long your babe feeds. But I would say 600 easy.
  • Nenny1985
    Nenny1985 Posts: 122
    Options
    thanks everyone for all the tips and advice. I think my milk supply took a hit cos I wasnt eating enough calories, even though I eat heaps. Just going to keep trying to eat fairly well (most of the time) but eat when I'm hungry (which seems to be a lot) haha. and focus more on my exercise and being healthy than counting calories.
  • mssteel90
    mssteel90 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for all the tips and advice. I think my milk supply took a hit cos I wasnt eating enough calories, even though I eat heaps. Just going to keep trying to eat fairly well (most of the time) but eat when I'm hungry (which seems to be a lot) haha. and focus more on my exercise and being healthy than counting calories.
    Best plan! If you do have trouble with bringing the supply back up there are loads of natural supplements and stuff you can take, or incorporate fenegreek into your cooking :)
  • tamiemoody
    Options
    I have just finished breastfeeding and I created '350cal burned for breastfeeding' in the exercises section. Then I could just select it every day. You burn between 250 - 500 cal per day through breastfeeding, so It is a bit of a guestimate about where you think you are at. But it is a good reminder that you need to eat a bit more to cover breastfeeding needs. I resumed exercise at 3 months post birth, so it was a great way to keep everything balanced.
  • Nenny1985
    Nenny1985 Posts: 122
    Options
    Thanks again ladies