An Old Man's NSV

Options
I started out on this new me last October and as part of losing 100+lbs I tried some "running". A few hundred yards and I was done. But I kept on plodding. At last I could run 1 mile. OK it was a 15min mile, but I ran it non stop I was delighted. Through out November and December I plodded on Milestones were passed. 14 min mile, 30 mins non stop. 5km run, 1 hr non stop, 13 min mile, even just for 1 mile I reached 12 min miles.
At this stage, being a man with a mission I had to buy the boys toys and bought myself a Polar RC3 GPS watch I could now really measure my running. Oh and while in the store I was measured up and bought some ridiculously expensive running shoes. Jan 20th I ran my first race 10k in 1hr 17 min. That was 12:17 min miles for the whole 10k As we say in England I was well chuffed.
I continued on, in May I ran another 10k race 1hr 09min, I had broken the 11 min mile barrier. Even more delighted.
On to June and my first half marathon. I finished, without stopping, 2hs 28min 10:20 min miles pace, great.
I have continued to train as my next half marathon is in October, and this morning went out on my long run. I did 8.5 miles and was feeling pretty good all the way through the run. When I got home I downloaded from the Polar watch on to the computer and was astounded not only to see my time but the 1 mile split times that I had achieved. Here is a screen shot of the data.

af6ed479-7057-4fc6-898b-a200a89eb3f0_zpsb75be85f.jpg

I had an overall pace of 09:32 with all of the mile splits under 10min. Total delight.

Replies

• saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME! Way to go! :drinker:
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    That is the best NSV I have heard of :) CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Outstanding work sir!
  • VickiDiane22
    VickiDiane22 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! What an inspiration!!!! :drinker:
  • abelthephotographer
    Options
    That's an inspiring story - thanks for sharing and congratulations. I'm a little way behind you, but I was chuffed to find today that not only had I run for a longer continuous distance than ever before but also recorded my fastest mile-split time. Reading your post has encouraged me to go out and pound the streets again tomorrow, to keep going and enjoy all those small incremental improvements.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Amazing progress and a fantastic post. Thanks for sharing :)
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Absoultely spectacular! You're in inspiration!
  • souzan651
    souzan651 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh my life, you rock!
    You are such an inspiration. At the beginning of April this year it was even a struggle to walk 20 yards because of the weight I had gained. I am now up to 6 miles a day, but after reading about your journey it has given me that extra push I needed to step it up.
    Thank you for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • barefoot_shuffler
    Options
    I love this!!!!! So happy for you!!!! Those are some beautiful split times (and heart rates too!!! :heart: ) It is so encouraging to see the fruits of your labor with the decline in your times, isn't it? Your running story sounds so similar to mine....it's amazing how quickly our bodies adjust and improve :happy:

Keep it up!!!!! You will be breaking that 9 min/mile barrier before you know it!!! :drinker:
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    wow!!! yay for you! good job!!
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Awesome! And just have to thank you for these posts. They are SO motivational!
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Incredible story! Awesome job :drinker:
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Very well done! I know for certain I couldn't run those distances let alone in such times.
  • tlwall1972
    Options
    AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!

Thank you for sharing!
  • anna_conkers
    anna_conkers Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Amazing, chuffed for you!! :smile:
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You are awesome! :drinker:
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    You rock!
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    That is awesome!! Way to go "Old Man"!:wink:
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I love this!!!!! So happy for you!!!! Those are some beautiful split times (and heart rates too!!! :heart: ) It is so encouraging to see the fruits of your labor with the decline in your times, isn't it? Your running story sounds so similar to mine....it's amazing how quickly our bodies adjust and improve :happy:

Keep it up!!!!! You will be breaking that 9 min/mile barrier before you know it!!! :drinker:

Thanks for all the good wishes, on the subject of heart rates, the first run I did with the HRM on scared the life out of me. It was only 3 miles in just over 40 minutes but my heart rate shot up over the supposed max as soon as I started and stayed there for the whole run. I thought I was giving myself heart attacks. It was only after I asked on MFP that I learned that this was OK and it would calm down as I got fitter.
  • Slatzuk
    Slatzuk Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You must feel like you've been run over by a train.

Chuffed to bits. :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!