Feeling a little discouraged...

Options
I realized that I have been on MFP for OVER a year now and gained a few pounds back. I already decided to get my butt in gear, and try to get motivated by these awesome and amazing success stories and looking at old photo's of myself but life is really annoying sometimes and whenever i gain my weight back it seems that one thing after another hits, crazy birth control (and by that i mean not on it anymore and still no uh "monthly" after 3 months!), injuries, not being able to eat from being broke or eating too much because I hate the feeling of being hungry when I am broke I have all the right tools, but yet it seems I have a hard time staying consistent with myself, and can't figure out how to fix it! I'm trying to take it one day at a time and do what I can, but MAN this is hard! I know it wont happen overnight but I wish this big gut would go away!!!

How do you all stay motivated and consistent? I will be on the go for a while then boom down again, then bam! Fluctuating :grumble: :ohwell: I need to get it together!

Replies

• fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Its hard, especially when you have money worries. It's true it doesn't necessarily cost to eat healthily, but I do find the stress can get to you and distract you from your goals.
    I find MFP is great for keeping myself motivated and managing my fitness. Also its good you can look back to times when what you were doing was working and see what you were doing that worked for you.
    I'm the same, a classic yo-yo'er and two steps forward one step back half the time. But you gotta keep at it because just think what you'd be like if you gave up altogether. You may not be losing but if you hadn't done anything at all perhaps you'd be way heavier and way less healthier!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    That is true and a great way to look at, I love my husband because he is blunt like I am, but it shocked me because I was smaller when I met him, and we were trying on different clothes (shopping that I hate), and I tried on a shirt and he said, "No take it off you look fat", I had to walk out of the store and cry and get myself together, but it kicked me in the butt I know he loves me and cares about me but man that was an eye opener!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Can I just say I'd love it if my partner said that. Although he thinks he's being nice, him saying 'you're not fat, you've got a great body' ( when I know I haven't), doesn't help in motivating me to lose weight.
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It really is a journey. There are some set backs and you have to train your mind along the way, that's the hardest part. Just keep picking yourself back up and try to make a positive change everyday.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Can I just say I'd love it if my partner said that. Although he thinks he's being nice, him saying 'you're not fat, you've got a great body' ( when I know I haven't), doesn't help in motivating me to lose weight.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I guess thats a good way to look at it too, he is really blunt and i am too i guess so it works
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how to stay motivated. For some reason this time around I am very motivated because something just clicked for me.

Dealing with your stress may help you with your weight loss.

http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/cortisol.htm

Add me as your friend if you want continued support.

You are beautiful and you can do this!
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. 100%. I can also relate to not having enough money for healthy food, then on the rare occasion you have money, totally binging on things you like and never get to have. I've also been on here for over a year. Haven't lost any weight nor gained muscle. Hate exercising. HATE IT. Sometimes I feel like I'm destined to look this way because my Dad is big. The older I get the bigger I get it seems. He got big at the beginning of high school and I got big after it once I went to college. All downhill from there. I agree with debaloo about changing your mind being the hardest part. Feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and keep working on it. I have nothing to offer really except that all of us on MFP are rooting for you! :flowerforyou:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you know what success story inspires me? the one i'm writing. every day i strive to be a little more awesome then i was yesterday.

something that keeps me focused and determined is signing up for races. there is something about signing up and paying for a race that helps me stay on track, and looking toward the future. then, working out stops being about a number on the scale, or how a person looks in a bridesmaid dress,* and more about how you feel and how you perform. You stop asking yourself "will this make me skinny?" and you start wondering "how do i get faster?"

* i looked awesome in the bridesmaid dress
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to the question of how badly you want it.

When I'm feeling discouraged, I watch one or both of these videos:
    http://youtu.be/eYOkSG6HWf4 - Schwarzennegger
    http://youtu.be/lsSC2vx7zFQ - Eric Thomas

Discouragement and struggle are a part of the process, you just have to try and get into the mindset of working harder and being more determined in spite of them. Sorry if it doesn't make it any easier, but for me, that's the reality. Good luck pushing through it!
  • autumnmctaggart
    autumnmctaggart Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    you know what success story inspires me? the one i'm writing. every day i strive to be a little more awesome then i was yesterday.

something that keeps me focused and determined is signing up for races. there is something about signing up and paying for a race that helps me stay on track, and looking toward the future. then, working out stops being about a number on the scale, or how a person looks in a bridesmaid dress,* and more about how you feel and how you perform. You stop asking yourself "will this make me skinny?" and you start wondering "how do i get faster?"

What an awesome way to look at things! I love it! Thank you!

* i looked awesome in the bridesmaid dress
  • crystalc27
    crystalc27 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It really is a journey. There are some set backs and you have to train your mind along the way, that's the hardest part. Just keep picking yourself back up and try to make a positive change everyday.

I second that!!:happy:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    You ARE only human, you WILL experience ups and downs.

The thing I remember is: when you don't feel like it is the time you MUST do it!

Nobody ever said this journey would be easy.

Get off yer butt and take that walk, ride that bike, go to the gym.

You are welcome to ad me if you like, but I will be blunt and honest in my comments and opinions.

Strat with watching Forks over Knives and Hungry for a change.
  • cerak76
    cerak76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Capt_Apollo, that was an awesome post. :)