ONLY using youtube for exercise vids?

Options
Is there any one else here who ONLY uses youtube for home exercise? I work nights, fulltime, with lots of overtime and my schedule doesn't really allow me to attend the classes I want, not to mention money's tight right now and I don't feel like shelling out 50 bucks a month for a gym membership that I won't use properly. I want to take classes somewhere- whether it's zumba or jui jitsu or krav maga or whatever, but my sleep schedule is far more important to me than getting a work out in.
I've found some great dance workouts on youtube (i'll post later.) and I just discovered a freeweights workout that I'd like to try.

eta: not to mention, I currently rent a tiny room in a house and don't have a ton of space or privacy.
I used to run, but that plateaued and I def need to work on weights/strength now.

Replies

• MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    there are plenty of people here who do exercise vids only. actually, my sister who lost a LOT of weight and is keeping it off, was doing only exercise at home (vids and for part of the time combined with a treadmill).

I am currently at a gym but that will end first week in sept and i am not planning to renew (UNless they make me some really amazing offer). I am planning to do some kind of exercise vids (i am checking them out now and will buy the ones that i really like), combined probably with some kind of outside walking (like C25K).
  • mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    Options
    Nothing wrong with some of the youtube videos out there. Watch enough you can come up with a plan that will work for you and suit your needs / goals. Compound exercises are a good place to start in that they work several muscle groups vs isolating a particular muscle. Proper form is very important though. It may seem petty but can be the difference in a good posture or bad posture with certain exercises like squats and deadlifts. Just do your research.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Go for it! There's a few Zumba instructors whom I adore (jill mcclure, LarissaZumbaCO, Amber Blanch, ZumbawithEvangeline are just a few!), I'm in love with Melissa West's yoga series, and blogilates and genghisgirl both have phenomenal workout routines posted. Browse around -- it can't hurt to try it! I stick with YouTube workouts because I have severe anxiety and haven't gotten myself acclimated to the atmosphere of a fitness class. I get more out of it -- mentally and physically -- when I'm alone and cannot be judged :happy:
  • Jmchao
    Jmchao Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    An option is to check out videos from your local public library. That way, you can try one out, decide if you like it, and, if so, scour the internet for a cheap version of it. Or, just keep checking different ones out so you won't get too bored with the same one over and over again.
  • jeannie0312
    jeannie0312 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    THERE ARE TONS OF GREAT WORK OUT VIDEOS ON YOU TUBE!!
    ANYTHING THAT WILL KEEP US MOVING IS A GREAT THING:)!!!
  • Roshellexo
    Roshellexo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender on YouTube has tons of great cardio/hiit/body weight workouts. I love their kickboxing ones.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 day butt lift videos on youtube - I don't want to buy any because I know I will get bored of them - and then not do them... no point wasting all that money when you can find good quality workouts for free online... unless you won't get bored and actually do the videos more than once =)
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I like blogilites, has lots of pilates plus hiit and cardio workouts that you can follow as a series or pick and mix. you can find mini 10 min workouts that you can easy fit in to odd time and/or use as part of a bigger programme and it is all free
  • chefgirl866
    Options
    You should definitely check out Fitness Blender on YouTube.They have just about every variations of workouts on their page. Our you can go to their website. Fitnessblender.com
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I purchased some bodywisdowm yoga workout DVDs that I love, and Tara Stiles on youtube is great. Haven't tried any other videos but I know there are a lot!