Abilify and weight gain/uncontrollable hunger?

Options
Hey all...so recently I haven't had an appetite at all which has hindered my weight loss. This was in part due to medication that I was taking and going through a rough patch. On Friday I was prescribed Abilify and now it seems like I'm hungry every night, like I just want to shovel all the food in the kitchen into my mouth. I guess it's not really hunger because my stomach isn't growling, I guess it's more like insane cravings. I'm really worried about this messing up my weight loss even more. Has anyone experienced this or have any advice??

Replies

• shimmer615
    shimmer615 Posts: 55
    Options
    Just from the knowledge that I have of this drug, weight gain is one of the most common side effects. Is there anything else that your doctor would be willing to prescribe in place of the abilify?
  • FitFabBelle
    Options
    I'm not sure. I'm currently also on adderall, zoloft, klonopin daily and then xanax as needed. I actually feel like I can see the abilify helping my depression already, maybe it's in my mind, I don't know. But that's why I'm not sure I want to risk switching to a different medication. I took seroquel before which is in the same class as abilify but it's very sedating and I was taking it for sleep and it made me a zombie the next day even though I took it at night...
  • shimmer615
    Options
    You really have to do what's right for you, and if that means taking the medication, then that's what you should do. I think just the knowledge that you will have these cravings and the side effects is good to have. You just know that you'll have to be extra mindful of what you eat, that you must track everything, and that you get some exercise. Good luck!
  • sugarchic64
    Options
    omg!!! life, nerves, meds, kids, husband, family in general STRESS, STRESS, STRESS did i mention STRESS all of these play huge role in your wt loss!!!! any suggestions???? I have tried exercise, phone a friend, get busy nothing works when i want to eat i want to EAT!!!!! oh yeah menapause is an *kitten* kicker!!!
  • FitFabBelle
    Options
    You really have to do what's right for you, and if that means taking the medication, then that's what you should do. I think just the knowledge that you will have these cravings and the side effects is good to have. You just know that you'll have to be extra mindful of what you eat, that you must track everything, and that you get some exercise. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, I'm hoping I can get it under control. Its just weird to go from no appetite to huge cravings lol
  • FitFabBelle
    Options
    omg!!! life, nerves, meds, kids, husband, family in general STRESS, STRESS, STRESS did i mention STRESS all of these play huge role in your wt loss!!!! any suggestions???? I have tried exercise, phone a friend, get busy nothing works when i want to eat i want to EAT!!!!! oh yeah menapause is an *kitten* kicker!!!

Stay busy, it's really hard to get out of the habit of not snacking even if you aren't hungry. It feels like you need to do something so you eat. Drink water...two months ago I only drank water when I took my medicine and I hated water, now I love it and drink it all day. You just have to force yourself to drink it. I find it helps using a straw cause thats another part of you that is being kept busy. Go write in a journal, fold laundry, take your kids on a bike ride...hope this helps!
  • mcgeorge5
    mcgeorge5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I took Abilify for 9 months and I gained 20 pounds in the first 6 months. I told my dr. about it and she confirmed that the trials on abilify did not report such weight gain, but that she has read and experienced through patients that the initial weight gain is very strong.

Good luck. I hope you can find the right balance for you!
  • Sarah_LM
    Sarah_LM Posts: 96
    Options
    The hunger might settle down, I had the same thing when I started seroquel, but after a couple of months it just went. If not, could the doctor maybe adjust the dosage so it doesn't make you as hungry? I guess it also depends what you are taking it for because there might be alternatives that help you but don't cause weight gain.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Could it be a combination of the meds? My daughter takes Abilify and it has actually had the opposite effect.
  • kjg1965297
    kjg1965297 Posts: 121
    Options
    My wife was on abilify and found the same thing and her doctor told her it was normal. I think the doctors nuts. You may have to change to something else but it cravings is a side effect of abilify. Don't just stop taking it but ask your doctor more questions. Good Luck
  • AnneTanne0
    AnneTanne0 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Abilify (Aripiprazole) is one of the so-called 'atypic neuroleptics'.
    This class of drugs is indeed known for their effect on the metabolism: increased appetite, weight gain... eventually disturbances of sugar and fat metabolism.

Abilify is often chosen among other drugs of the same class, because it is much less likely to cause those effects, but that doesn't mean they are non-existent.

In our clinic, policy is that in the first six months of the treatment, each patient has to be followed up closely: weight, BMI, waist size, and some blood tests like sugar, cholesterol...
  • FitFabBelle
    Options
    This class of drugs is indeed known for their effect on the metabolism: increased appetite, weight gain... eventually disturbances of sugar and fat metabolism.

Abilify is often chosen among other drugs of the same class, because it is much less likely to cause those effects, but that doesn't mean they are non-existent.

In our clinic, policy is that in the first six months of the treatment, each patient has to be followed up closely: weight, BMI, waist size, and some blood tests like sugar, cholesterol...

I took seroquel before but didn't have any unusual cravings or weight gain. Maybe it's all in my head...
  • FitFabBelle
    Options
    Could it be a combination of the meds? My daughter takes Abilify and it has actually had the opposite effect.

It could be but I'm not sure, the adderall and zoloft definitely decrease my appetite, but I take those in the morning and the abilify at night with my 2nd dose of klonopin so maybe that's why. The cravings are at night and by then the adderall is definitely not still affecting my appetite.
  • FitFabBelle
    Options

Also...does the weight gain come from eating more or does the medicine actually have an effect on your body that slows your metabolism? Because the cravings I would have control over (with a lot of effort) but if it is causing weight gain that is out of my control than that is a bigger problem and I feel like would just contribute more to my depression.
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am on seroquel which is similar to abilify. It also has caused me significant weight gain, but I also gained weight due to eating when depressed. I found that I really need my meds to be healthy, so I am now working on losing weight while on meds. I find the nighttime carb cravings the hardest to deal with. What I do is leave some calories for the inevitable late evening snack. It is common for my to have a bowl of cereal or half a peanut butter sandwich. I have also been increasing my activity and have found that the exercise has helped to stabilize my moods. If you need any support feel free to send me a message or add me as a friend. We might have an uphill battle but we don't have to accept the increased odds of diabetes and other health affects of obesity just because we need meds to keep us going.
  • shimmer615
    Options
    I am on seroquel which is similar to abilify. It also has caused me significant weight gain, but I also gained weight due to eating when depressed. I found that I really need my meds to be healthy, so I am now working on losing weight while on meds. I find the nighttime carb cravings the hardest to deal with. What I do is leave some calories for the inevitable late evening snack. It is common for my to have a bowl of cereal or half a peanut butter sandwich. I have also been increasing my activity and have found that the exercise has helped to stabilize my moods. If you need any support feel free to send me a message or add me as a friend. We might have an uphill battle but we don't have to accept the increased odds of diabetes and other health affects of obesity just because we need meds to keep us going.

I think it's great that you know what you need - and save some room for a late night snack. :drinker:
  • Loveisaiah
    Loveisaiah Posts: 51
    Options
    I have a Dr appt at 6 and I am telling him I want off of abilify. I went from 120 to 140 and I am also on adderall still gained weight on it. Now doing research, it's a very common side effect and very common for the Dr to say it's weight neutral.
  • katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Also...does the weight gain come from eating more or does the medicine actually have an effect on your body that slows your metabolism? Because the cravings I would have control over (with a lot of effort) but if it is causing weight gain that is out of my control than that is a bigger problem and I feel like would just contribute more to my depression.

I was just put on Abilify, and I really would like to know more about this as well. I can resist cravings and ignore hunger signals if I know what I'm getting myself into...but if it's going to shoot my metabolism, I want to know if I need to start loading up on the green tea or if I'm just going to be hungry all the time.

I used to be on Risperdal -- I ate so much...luckily I was 15 and ran crosscountry so it did no harm.
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest counseling along with meds. Expecting meds to handle depression alone often leads to stacking of meds which is hard on your body. The meds you are taking really impact the serotonin/ epinephrine pathways which are part of the feel good/ full/satisfied spot of your brain.
  • daddysG1rl
    daddysG1rl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was on abilify for prob a year and gained about 50 lbs. I didn't know that was the reason until I went off of it - and the lbs mysteriously melted away, well at least 40 did. Seriously, get off that drug and tell your dr you want something else, quick!