fit fabulous and fifty

Options
2»

Replies

• patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and notice it is a little harder to burn off the fat and retain the muscle, but it can be done. I suggest focusing more long term. For example, I focus more on weekly calorie/macro totals, instead of daily. I measure myself only once a month (forget the scale), i.e. tape around waist, arms, legs, etc.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    The 2.2 pounds is a normal fluctuation. You can't have gained 2.2 pounds overnight. Sometimes it will seem like you weigh more due to sodium in food, which makes the body retain water, or if you eat late at night and haven't eliminated. People weigh more due to other reasons, like gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, the belief that it will be almost impossible to lose weight once you're over 50 is simply not true. Eat less and move more and you will lose weight. I'm age 59 and have lost 32 pounds since April, about 1-2 pounds a week. If I can do it, anybody can.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    You do fluctuate a lot sometimes, so many reason. I weigh daily but only in the morning before breakfast. I found after menopause really set in, I had to mix it up more...not just walk or do the same 20 or 30 minute DVD. The more different muscles I used, the different movements, the better it was. I also remember when I was lifting in my 30's and 40's, I was able to eat more with more muscle...I don't know if that will happen now, but I know it's good for me and helps my back having strong abs, helps me lift, etc.
    Try to think of it as as an overall tuneup, the weight loss might be the goal, but a better heart, better bone health and lower numbers on your blood tests are also a plus.
  • DarrenM11
    DarrenM11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My wife and I went on a short 4 day vacation. I had a dr.s appointment on the day we returned. I got on the scale and had gained 7 lbs in four days. My doctor as a little shocked as was I. 72 hours though after returning to my normal diet and routine I had lost 6.8 of those pounds.... so the moral of the story is don't get discouraged if your weight varies a little day to day. If you eat a little to much salt you will retain a little more water.... if you don't drink enough water you will begin to dehydrate... all of these things can vary your weight by several pounds daily. If you weigh everyday just keep track of the trend. You may weigh close to the same for several days but then suddenly lose a full pound or two. Remember... it does not matter what you weigh today.... it only matters what you weigh tomorrow!
  • Dom4less
    Dom4less Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Gosh oh golly, thanks Everyone for your support! My weigh in today was up 2.2 pounds from yesterday, not sure how that works but is what it is. I have not given up, as one of you have indicated that my weight is sure to start going down. I do enjoy my morning walks, it keeps me energize d all day long.:happy:
    stick to it. You might want to try to drink more water (1 oz for each lbs per day) and lower your salt intake:-) if you are already doing so, simply ignore my suggestion:-) good luck:-)
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    I concur with previous posters....there are many things that can cause a weight variation from one day to the next....water retention due to salt or ramping up exercise, female related cycles, etc. Keep at it and you'll see the results you want. I love your attitude though! I am fifty and fabulous but nowhere near fit....yet! Feel free to add me if you are looking for supportive friends.
  • jetaylor63
    jetaylor63 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi Linda,
    I'm 50 too and have been running into the same problem lately. Even though I've been eating well and exercising regularly, the weight loss has definitely stalled. My MFP friends have been a great source of encouragement to keep on going though.

Good luck. :drinker: