Exercising During Menstruation-- EXTREME faitgue, help?

Options
So, I've spoken to my doctor about this, but they seem to be at a loss... (I'm obviously going to change doctors soon. but for the short term, I'm posting for advice.) During menstruation, I get EXTREMELY fatigued and dizzy. My period, however, is not at all heavy. Even a couple days before it begins, I can feel my energy levels dropping. When I lift weights, I can do about half of what I can normally do. When I do cardio, I get dizzy and have to stop extremely early from fatigue.

Does any other lady out there experience this? Do you have any advice? I'm in the middle of a workout program, and I don't want to feel hindered a whole week out of the month....

Thanks for your time.

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Have they tested you for anemia?
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Exercising during makes me feel like crap. I get weak and I have limited energy as well. I am not anemic ~ but my Vitamin D is pretty low (tho I am trying to supplement that). So you are definitely not alone and I would love to hear others thoughts, too!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    +1 check anemia.

I'm the same way. I just FORGET about it, relax, & let my body do whatever devilish work it's doing. Sometimes, the fatigue is so bad just ordinary things are really hard, never mind working out.

I think Rachel Cosgrove talks about taking it easy at this time, not only that, but planning workouts over the month to account for it, and make the best use of our fluctuations. (like have a hard week probably the week after, a medium one after that, something along those lines -- it's like a couple of pages in 'female body breakthrough')

Also - and I discovered this bc my last one wiped me the eff out & all my joints hurt -- we release a maybe little known hormone called relaxin just before periods and at ovulation. It basically tenderizes our ligaments. Probably for some more than others. There's a higher rate of injuries among women at those times, and some researchers think that's why. So maybe it's better you just chill out, in case you've got loads of relaxin too. (not that fatigue would necessarily indicate that, at all -- maybe being injury prone would be a better predictor - but, just in case)
  • DatPanna
    DatPanna Posts: 59
    Options

Indeed they have, but not during actual menstruation. However, because my extreme fatigue begins before any bleeding, I'm skeptical it's anemia. I'll speak to my doctor about testing during my actual period.
  • DatPanna
    Options
    Exercising during makes me feel like crap. I get weak and I have limited energy as well. I am not anemic ~ but my Vitamin D is pretty low (tho I am trying to supplement that). So you are definitely not alone and I would love to hear others thoughts, too!

I also get low Vitamin D, but I was balanced out with the 50kIU pills. I really should begin taking supplements again. Wouldn't hurt.
  • DatPanna
    Options
    +1 check anemia.

I'm the same way. I just FORGET about it, relax, & let my body do whatever devilish work it's doing. Sometimes, the fatigue is so bad just ordinary things are really hard, never mind working out.

I think Rachel Cosgrove talks about taking it easy at this time, not only that, but planning workouts over the month to account for it, and make the best use of our fluctuations. (like have a hard week probably the week after, a medium one after that, something along those lines -- it's like a couple of pages in 'female body breakthrough')

Also - and I discovered this bc my last one wiped me the eff out & all my joints hurt -- we release a maybe little known hormone called relaxin just before periods and at ovulation. It basically tenderizes our ligaments. Probably for some more than others. There's a higher rate of injuries among women at those times, and some researchers think that's why. So maybe it's better you just chill out, in case you've got loads of relaxin too. (not that fatigue would necessarily indicate that, at all -- maybe being injury prone would be a better predictor - but, just in case)

I'm so glad I have people who can relate. I'll take it easy during this terrible time, but I still want to -attempt- to be active.... * Sigh. * Why is the uterus so evil?
  • Elfa777
    Elfa777 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Definitely check for anemia, and not just cell count, but Iron profile and B 12 level, easy blood tests done at your doctor.
    Stay well hydrated, try yoga, low intensity exercise, shorter duration.
    I also suggest maca powder as a supplement. I have been taking it for over 2 months now and can see the difference in my energy level, effect was noticeable within a week.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

I'm so glad I have people who can relate. I'll take it easy during this terrible time, but I still want to -attempt- to be active.... * Sigh. * Why is the uterus so evil?

lol. i don't know! mine's been at me for years, and i haven't forgiven it.
  • wannabeadancer27
    Options
    l-tyrosine and borage oil are great for regulating hormones. you can buy them on amazon.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    So, I've spoken to my doctor about this, but they seem to be at a loss... (I'm obviously going to change doctors soon. but for the short term, I'm posting for advice.) During menstruation, I get EXTREMELY fatigued and dizzy. My period, however, is not at all heavy. Even a couple days before it begins, I can feel my energy levels dropping. When I lift weights, I can do about half of what I can normally do. When I do cardio, I get dizzy and have to stop extremely early from fatigue.

Does any other lady out there experience this? Do you have any advice? I'm in the middle of a workout program, and I don't want to feel hindered a whole week out of the month....

Thanks for your time.

I never like working out during then I still do and push myself. it's one week a month.. us women get the short end of the stick I swear
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    When I don't drink enough water I feel extreme fatigue as well. Try drinking more water while you are menstruating. It's worth a try! ;)
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Are you on the pill? I have Policystic Overies and used to spend the first few days before my period crushingly depressed, constipated and exhausted, followed by heavy flow, that would wake me in pain, I would spend the first day moaning to myself quietly in a ball. Not everyone with PCOS has these symptoms, and I'm not saying you have PCOS, but whenever I'm on the pill I feel SO much better.

Maybe see an Endocrinologist and have a hormone panel done. I'd give up my Uterus and Overies in a heartbeat, those b****es are sadistic.
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Indeed they have, but not during actual menstruation. However, because my extreme fatigue begins before any bleeding, I'm skeptical it's anemia. I'll speak to my doctor about testing during my actual period.

Bleeding is not the first sign of menstruation, the process starts before you actually see any bleeding.

One possibility is that it could be low iron, because you're losing iron.

I've had that problem in the past,(cycle was actually shorter during that time, like 2 days and light), I would be constantly on the verge of passing out whenever I workout. Now I up my iron(by pills) during that time, with a cycle that last around 4-5 days and I feel better.

There could be several factors influencing the way you feel.