steady state cardio and belly fat

I just read an interesting article that pretty much stated "too much steady state cardio can increase levels of hormones that boost belly fat"

Too bad I just started a "1st to 100 miles in August challenge" (4 days, 30 miles in), and I'm quite found of my 4.5 pack (and working diligently for the other 1.5)....

I'm not sure how I feel about this "study" as slow and steady cardio was the way I lost over 60 pounds in the first place. I HATE intervals...I do them because I know they're killer, but I hate them. Now that I'm focused on definition, I've just added heavy lifting and keeping an eye out on my macros. I find running (this slow steady state cardio) therapeutic...although maybe slow is relative...(10K + runs I average 9 and change pace, anything less I've been known to do in the 8's)

Curious to see what the consensus is out there on this subject though...

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    I disagree with cardio entirely :D - i just don't seee the point of it (other than health reasons) - in terms of fat loss it isn't an ideal tool, makes sense to eat less for me.

I'm just a cardio hater ! >_<
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Well, as only cardio, aerobic work, utilises tryglycerides/fatty acids/fats directly I would be sceptical. It may be that maintaining the same intensity for workouts will decrease effectiveness as your body adapts, but as all good programmes include progression and overload that shouldn't happen.

But stated as you have quoted it.... I'd assume they were referring to cortisol, I wonder what was classed as 'too much'? I would also wonder if they were conflating adaptation and lack of progression... that is the same intensity/duration will eventually have less affect as your body adapts to cope with it - ie you get fitter.

Sorry, I repeated myself there. I would question the source for certain. Sounds a bit, what it the phrase used round here? Ah! Bro science. But I'd need to see the source.

*waves at Ritchie*
  • codeezy21
    codeezy21 Posts: 19 Member
    I disagree with cardio entirely :D - i just don't seee the point of it (other than health reasons) - in terms of fat loss it isn't an ideal tool, makes sense to eat less for me.

HA, yeah I'm finding more and "cardio haters" around...its cool. If I could somehow mentally feel about lifting weights as I do about cardio, I may be on to something!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    I've been running for 10 years and belly fat isn't my problem.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    I lost all my weight doing cardio, I did lift a little but thats was for vanity not weight loss. :-) Also, I still havent seen a fat long distance athlete. They can all say what they want but cardio burns the fat. Do cardio to lose weight, lift to look good. :-)
  • codeezy21
    Sounds a bit, what it the phrase used round here? Ah! Bro science. But I'd need to see the source.

*waves at Ritchie*

LOL...yep, I think this was in the Bro science section of the mag,:laugh:

Seriously, typically tend to agree with "both sides" of the argument...my attention span won't allow me to figure it out by reading and research, I just do what seems right at the moment and adjust as I see fit (well as it relates to fitness that is)
  • codeezy21
    Do cardio to lose weight, lift to look good. :-)

BOOM!
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Do cardio to lose weight, lift to look good. :-)

BOOM!

You can't disagree with that :)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    links to study / article?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member

HA, yeah I'm finding more and "cardio haters" around...its cool. If I could somehow mentally feel about lifting weights as I do about cardio, I may be on to something!
    I was a lifting hater and a cardio hater. The more I did cardio the more I liked it (depending on what it was). Arthritis was a beep with that though. The more I did lifting the more I liked it. And heavy lifting got rid of a lot of my health problems, and solved all my firming problems as well when cardio kept me rather squishy even at underweight, so I went with that.

That being said, I'm not quite sure about the cardio causing belly fat. That doesn't make sense to me. I just don't think it does as much as lifting has to offer when it comes to firming abilities.
  • codeezy21

http://www.romanfitnesssystems.com/blog/lose-stubborn-fat/

This is the guys's website, and he touches on the subject here
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member

http://www.romanfitnesssystems.com/blog/lose-stubborn-fat/

This is the guys's website, and he touches on the subject here

He's selling a product and makes no mention of a study. :noway:
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    What he actually said was long duration cardio and extended lifting sessions could cause an increase in cortisol which is the fat storing hormone. Of course, like a lot of people who repeat that information, he doesn't quantify what "long duration cardio" is. I hate cardio myself so any steady state cardio (jogging, eliptical, etc) is long for me lol. The important thing to take away from this and other similar articles is stress (and some forms of exercise are considered stress to our bodies, including the breaking down of muscles so we can rebuild them) can cause the release of the fat storing hormone. But, are there ways to reduce the impact that hormone has? That's the other question we should be asking.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I just read an interesting article that pretty much stated "too much steady state cardio can increase levels of hormones that boost belly fat"

Too bad I just started a "1st to 100 miles in August challenge" (4 days, 30 miles in), and I'm quite found of my 4.5 pack (and working diligently for the other 1.5)....

I'm not sure how I feel about this "study" as slow and steady cardio was the way I lost over 60 pounds in the first place. I HATE intervals...I do them because I know they're killer, but I hate them. Now that I'm focused on definition, I've just added heavy lifting and keeping an eye out on my macros. I find running (this slow steady state cardio) therapeutic...although maybe slow is relative...(10K + runs I average 9 and change pace, anything less I've been known to do in the 8's)

Curious to see what the consensus is out there on this subject though...

This is a classic case of someone taking a "micro" look at an acute physical response and projecting that to a "macro" result--without any evidence.

The author and his ilk blissfully ignore the real evidence of MILLIONS of people who have lost body fat via steady-state cardio.

They ignore the published results of the large studies conducted at Duke University which showed that steady-state cardio was most effective at reducing visceral fat. (Not definitive either, but certainly strong enough evidence to expose the "cardio will make you fat" BRO-mide for the silly nonsense it is).

The fact is that there are a lot of acute physical reactions to exercise of all types. Trying to isolate one response out of context, and then selecting one of the effects of cortisol and using that to support a "definitive" conclusion about fat loss is pretty meaningless.