Abilify and weight gain/uncontrollable hunger?

Options
2»

Replies

• FootballRN1
    Options
    I took Abilify for 9 months and I gained 20 pounds in the first 6 months. I told my dr. about it and she confirmed that the trials on abilify did not report such weight gain, but that she has read and experienced through patients that the initial weight gain is very strong.

Good luck. I hope you can find the right balance for you!

Really?? Your doctor told you that?? Nice job on that one doc. Shmuck-tastic. I am an RN, and the commercials on national TV for this drug even state that one of the most common side effects is "weight gain" alongside fatigue and nausea...Yay! Just what a depressed person with body weight issues needs, right?

The bummer is: most mental meds have the SE of weight gain, increase in appetite and or/fatigue. All of these things can lead to problems with the scale. However, if your depression and anxiety (or whatever is going on) is not under control, and the med is really effective- STAY ON IT!!! THIS PART IS IMPORTANT: THE SIDE EFFECTS WILL LEVEL OFF AFTER THE FIRST COUPLE OF MONTHS. You just have to (SORRY) stay the course. In the meantime, make smart snacking choices, eat whole, natural foods, drink that water, and try (even when you are feeling crappy) to get that cardio in! It really will make a difference- not only in the weight, but multitudes of studies show that exercise improves mood.

Good luck to you, and please stay away from advice that has to do with stopping your meds (irresponsible).
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have been on abilify for 3 years and lost weight (I lost 20 kg put back on 18 with pregnancy and now I'm 4 off my pre pregnancy weight!) Guess its different for different people. I put on stacks of weight with lithium. Try saphris. It's weight neutral in 90% of people. Otherwise you can also add topamax to kill the hunger but its does make you a bit dopey! Good luck. Remember exercise is an awesome antidepressant. You only need to go for a half hour walk to get the effect. (your heart rate needs to be elevated so a fast walk) but you need to do it every day to get the best effect. I use an exercise bike for 1/2 an hour a day.
  • FootballRN1
    Options
    I am on seroquel which is similar to abilify. It also has caused me significant weight gain, but I also gained weight due to eating when depressed. I found that I really need my meds to be healthy, so I am now working on losing weight while on meds. I find the nighttime carb cravings the hardest to deal with. What I do is leave some calories for the inevitable late evening snack. It is common for my to have a bowl of cereal or half a peanut butter sandwich. I have also been increasing my activity and have found that the exercise has helped to stabilize my moods. If you need any support feel free to send me a message or add me as a friend. We might have an uphill battle but we don't have to accept the increased odds of diabetes and other health affects of obesity just because we need meds to keep us going.

And Thank You, Alexis, for mentioning that you are continuing to take your meds while trying to continue your weight loss program because it is important to do so. Controlling depression & other issues (not to mention the most important, suicidality, which Abilify is scripted for) is WAY more important. Not to mention that just quitting an anti-depressant without tapering or consulting a physician is VERY dangerous to one's physical and mental health. I CANNOT STRESS that enough. Posters: PLEASE do not advise people to quit their meds!!!! IRRESPONSIBLE.
  • FootballRN1
    Options
    Excellent! You are doing the right thing to manage the side effects, and moreover- your depression. Awesome news.
  • FootballRN1
    Options
    I have been on abilify for 3 years and lost weight (I lost 20 kg put back on 18 with pregnancy and now I'm 4 off my pre pregnancy weight!) Guess its different for different people. I put on stacks of weight with lithium. Try saphris. It's weight neutral in 90% of people. Otherwise you can also add topamax to kill the hunger but its does make you a bit dopey! Good luck. Remember exercise is an awesome antidepressant. You only need to go for a half hour walk to get the effect. (your heart rate needs to be elevated so a fast walk) but you need to do it every day to get the best effect. I use an exercise bike for 1/2 an hour a day.

Excellent! You are doing the right thing to manage the side effects, and moreover- your depression. Awesome news.
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    Honestly, I have heard nothing good about Abilify. Me and four of my friends were prescribed it with no positive results to announce and plenty of horror stories. Have the restless legs kicked in yet?
  • Donna2d
    Donna2d Posts: 6
    Options
    I take abilify only . I have taken it for a long time.I like it because it does not have a lot of side effects.I try not to eat too late because it goes into fat storing instead of fat burning.:smile:
  • FitFabBelle
    Options
    I strongly suggest counseling along with meds. Expecting meds to handle depression alone often leads to stacking of meds which is hard on your body. The meds you are taking really impact the serotonin/ epinephrine pathways which are part of the feel good/ full/satisfied spot of your brain.

Of course. I guess I didn't mention it in this thread but I see my psychologist regularly for talk therapy so I am in no way relying solely on medication or expecting results only from medication. Really, I believe that medication is just a small part of my recovery, however the one with the most negative side effects.
  • FitFabBelle
    Options
    I took Abilify for 9 months and I gained 20 pounds in the first 6 months. I told my dr. about it and she confirmed that the trials on abilify did not report such weight gain, but that she has read and experienced through patients that the initial weight gain is very strong.

Good luck. I hope you can find the right balance for you!

Really?? Your doctor told you that?? Nice job on that one doc. Shmuck-tastic. I am an RN, and the commercials on national TV for this drug even state that one of the most common side effects is "weight gain" alongside fatigue and nausea...Yay! Just what a depressed person with body weight issues needs, right?

The bummer is: most mental meds have the SE of weight gain, increase in appetite and or/fatigue. All of these things can lead to problems with the scale. However, if your depression and anxiety (or whatever is going on) is not under control, and the med is really effective- STAY ON IT!!! THIS PART IS IMPORTANT: THE SIDE EFFECTS WILL LEVEL OFF AFTER THE FIRST COUPLE OF MONTHS. You just have to (SORRY) stay the course. In the meantime, make smart snacking choices, eat whole, natural foods, drink that water, and try (even when you are feeling crappy) to get that cardio in! It really will make a difference- not only in the weight, but multitudes of studies show that exercise improves mood.

Good luck to you, and please stay away from advice that has to do with stopping your meds (irresponsible).

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm definitely following my psychiatrist's directions on medication. Last year I went off of adderall, prozac, seroquel and klonopin cold turkey along with stopping counseling and the results were terrible so trust me I will listen to whatever my doctor tells me. My doctor has actually acknowledged the cravings and weight gain as a side effect but I believe he is more concerned with my mental health than a few extra pounds, especially if I'm in control over my eating. I've been on it I guess close to a month now...or 3 weeks and the first week was great but then it started to make me feel really...off? I guess that's how to describe it. Like racing thoughts that didn't feel natural, I called my doc and he doubled the dose but I see him again tomorrow so we'll see where it goes from there.
  • FitFabBelle
    Options
    Honestly, I have heard nothing good about Abilify. Me and four of my friends were prescribed it with no positive results to announce and plenty of horror stories. Have the restless legs kicked in yet?

Thanks for your honesty...I've heard good and bad things. I have a relative that's been on it for a few years and has only said that they've learned to control their cravings or make healthier choices but I'm still concerned that it's actually affecting my metabolism, regardless of overeating or not. Restless legs have at times...Sometimes I get really restless all over like I want to get up and run around but it doesn't happen every night, maybe once a week so I'm ok with that for now.
  • Donna2d
    Donna2d Posts: 6
    Options
    It is expensive medicine. aren't you worth it?
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am on seroquel which is similar to abilify. It also has caused me significant weight gain, but I also gained weight due to eating when depressed. I found that I really need my meds to be healthy, so I am now working on losing weight while on meds. I find the nighttime carb cravings the hardest to deal with. What I do is leave some calories for the inevitable late evening snack. It is common for my to have a bowl of cereal or half a peanut butter sandwich. I have also been increasing my activity and have found that the exercise has helped to stabilize my moods. If you need any support feel free to send me a message or add me as a friend. We might have an uphill battle but we don't have to accept the increased odds of diabetes and other health affects of obesity just because we need meds to keep us going.

And Thank You, Alexis, for mentioning that you are continuing to take your meds while trying to continue your weight loss program because it is important to do so. Controlling depression & other issues (not to mention the most important, suicidality, which Abilify is scripted for) is WAY more important. Not to mention that just quitting an anti-depressant without tapering or consulting a physician is VERY dangerous to one's physical and mental health. I CANNOT STRESS that enough. Posters: PLEASE do not advise people to quit their meds!!!! IRRESPONSIBLE.

Whole heartedly agree! But do inform your dr of you concerns of weight gain so you can be monitored correctly. Stopping these meds should be done only with much consideration and work with your dr or some serious SE can occur. Repeated studies have shown counseling along with med can help even very stubborn depression and anxiety issues. Both are tools to gain control. Really glad you have made the decision to address your depression and anxiety. It is not easy but so worth it!
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to sit still while on Abilify.

Good luck.
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options

OMG I had restless legs 1 week after beginning it.

I had to pace around the house and / or keep getting up. I wasn't able to sit still.
  • FootballRN1
    Options
    So, I hope that everything went well w/ your visit. Do continue w/ the therapy, as it is really important to go w/ the pharmaceuticals. Mental meds all kind of suck, in that they all have side effects one way or another- this is why it is so hard to get people to stay on them, and then people who don't suffer with psychiatric distress wonder what is wrong w/ people who do. Well- those people haven't had the joy of taking any of the meds that cause weight gain, nausea, vomiting, hallucinations (yep, hallucinations), dizziness, dry mouth, diarrhea, constipation, RLS...ugh, the list goes on...And then as a health professional you have to try to encourage patients to stay the course because life on the drugs will be better (and it IS, because at least you aren't choosing to commit suicide, or cut, or be anorexic or bulemic, etc...) You get the pic. Anyhow, best of luck and care.
  • rtarino
    rtarino Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My 14 year old was put on Abilify/prozac for bipolar 6 months ago. She has gained 15 pounds in the last 3 months, with her dose increases. Most concerning is her lack of feeling satiated. She can power through large amounts of food and still want more. Even worse is her lack of caring of what is happening to her body. She is mostly in a state of moderate depression (so hard!), and the weight gain has not helped. She sees a psychiatrist and a psychologist every week, but no one is tracking her weight. I just begged her pediatrician to help and she will finally do labs and send her to a nutritionist. When I mention the weight gain to her psych team they say abilify is proven to be 'weight neutral", yet her pediatrician states otherwise.

I appreciate all of the posts related to this topic. I cannot imagine being an adult trying to manage meds, weights and everything on their own with these significant psych diagnosis. It is tough as a parent, but at least my daughter has support and oversight from her family. Football RN, thanks for your post!